Mashing Rice...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well their is also flaked rice which would be right to go due to gelatinisation during processing as well

I think if you wanted a specific breed of rice that would obviously not be puffed or flaked then you would have to do the boil yourself.

Also it is probably cheaper (definitely on the large scale which is why so many large breweries have separate cereal mashers)

Seriously? What is soooooo bloody hard about boiling some rice? :blink: Plus I have found some of your more aromatic rice species like jasmine impart a little subtle flavour with goes so well in my Aussie Lager.

It's like boiling some water just has some rice added to it... :huh: Christ I would hate to see some you guys try to make a cake?

It's like boiling some water just has some rice added to it... :huh: Christ I would hate to see some you guys try to make a cake?

Its not so much about the boiling chappo its about seeing what options are available and what flavors you can get from the different forms.

as you said Jasmine rice gives something special and im sure puffed rice would add a different complexity.

no ones saying that you cant some water chaps. we are just discussing. and the topic is for non AG. it might be simpler for a K&K/extract brewer just to make a 'cerial mash' from puffed rice.

edit:
actually thinking about it, im not sure that either option is simple for a K&K/extract brewer. i think the only real option for K&K/extract brewer is pre made rice malt extract

I agree with the type of rice issue. my rice lager was a 50/50 jasmine and normal rice mix

NO - we are talking about the mash. Back to basics:

Malted barley is mashed at a certain temperature when enzymes in the malted grain convert the starches in the grains to sugars that can be drained out and fermented. In most grain malt there is enough spare enzyme to also convert a proportion of 'neutral' grains such as rice or maize or even wheat, and likewise convert their starches into sugars.

Malt extract is malted barley that has been mashed, the enzymes convert the starches to sugars which are drained off, boiled and then vacuum concentrated to form malt extract. In the case of Australian malt extracts the enzymes are long long gone which is why malt extract cannot convert rice or other grains, so you can't use plain rice in an all extract brew.

Hope this clarifies :icon_cheers:

Ok, that makes sense.
So if using All Grain, no worries, boil rice and mash as normal, adding the rice to the mash?
But if using extract brewing it sounds like you have to add malt.

Its not so much about the boiling chappo its about seeing what options are available and what flavors you can get from the different forms.

as you said Jasmine rice gives something special and im sure puffed rice would add a different complexity.

Fair point K.

I must admit I hadn't thought of that point.

Hmmmm? Wonder how black wild rice would go?

@BjornJ
It would need to be in effect a minimash.

@ Chappo
If it's the rice where the grains are black, then they make a funny purple/red colour liquid when cooked too wet (like rice porridge style). Might be visually interesting in a beer.

If you're talking about the one with black hulls, it's not technically rice but is similar. Needs a lot of time to cook and even then its bowel cleansing power exceeds its taste. :)

I'm going to stick with Koshihikari (Jap sushi) rice for a first outing then try some other kinds another time.

Cheers - Fermented.

EDIT: Fixed speeeling error.

thought about that for a dark lager, porter or stout. but wild rice is bloody expensive.

Dark lager yes!

Not to mention its around 6-8 bucks a kilo compared to around 4 bucks a kilo for everyday rice.

I was thinking that for a 'Black IPA' :icon_drool2:

Using 'Black' Sticky Rice http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_rice

That's what I was thinking. Recently tried a black IPA made with CINMA (Sp.). God it was good tasted like a ballsy IPA but looked like a black lager. Awesome Rossco! :icon_drool2:

@ Chappo
If it's the rice where the grains are black, then they make a funny purple/red colour liquid when cooked too wet (like rice porridge style). Might be visually interesting in a beer.

If you're talking about the one with black hulls, it's not technically rice but is similar. Needs a lot of time to cook and even then its bowel cleansing power exceeds its taste. :)

I'm going to stick with Koshihikari (Jap sushi) rice for a first outing then try some other kinds another time.

Cheers - Fermented.

EDIT: Fixed speeeling error.

All I can say is give it a go I reckon you will be more than presently surprised. Mind you it's had to go back once you have ventured down the rice path. Bit like Rye really?

Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking of using the black/wild rice and Fermented I reckon your correct with the colouring but also the grainy/earthy flavour and aromas it could impart.

Chap Chap

You can malt rice by itself - just add the pancreas of a cow into your mash.

Or spit in it, a lot.

Or you could malt the rice. I'm pretty sure it has amylase so it can convert its own starch into baby rice plant food.

Or you could malt the rice. I'm pretty sure it has amylase so it can convert its own starch into baby rice plant food.

Yep - while the husk is still on it. Threshed and winnowed polished rice is good for eating, throwing at newly weds, stopping salt from clagging in the shaker, scrubbing the bottoms of odd-shaped decanters and that's about it without some enzymes.

Gave up. Went for a walk. Found Bribie's famous rice malt for $1.21 a pot. Bingo.

Cheers - Fermented.

Back