Rice In Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bignath

"Grains don't grow up to be chips, son"
Reaction score
Howdy brewers,

had a quiet day on the private music tuition front, and when i was supposed to be writing out music for students, i found myself mucking around with some research and recipe's.

Just wondering if those of you that use rice in your lagers could cast an eye over this planned recipe and offer some opinions.
Have been researching the Premium American Lager style and noticed that rice can be used up to 40% of grist, so i came up with the below recipe.
Not sure if it has potential as i've only brewed with rice once before and that was in my Kit days and added some cooked rice to some grains i had steeping on the stove.

Fire away brewers!!

Rice Lager
1-C Premium American Lager
Author: Big Nath

Size: 20 L
Efficiency: 69.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 170.94 kcal per 12.0 fl oz - really, who give's a shit about this??

Original Gravity: 1.051 (1.046 - 1.056)
Terminal Gravity: 1.013 (1.008 - 1.012)
Color: 2.98 (2.0 - 6.0)
Alcohol: 5.05% (4.6% - 6.0%)
Bitterness: 18.0 (15.0 - 25.0)

Ingredients:
4 kg Australian Pale Malt - yep i know. I don't have any pilsner malt.
1 kg Rice Raw
30 g Hallertau Hersbruck (3.5%) - added during boil, boiled 40 min
30 g Hallertau Hersbruck (3.5%) - added during boil, boiled 20 min
20.0 g Hallertau Hersbruck (3.5%) - added during boil, boiled 0 min
1.0 ea Fermentis W-34/70 Saflager W-34/70 or US-05 for fake lager
1.0 ea Whirlfloc Tablets (Irish moss) - added during boil, boiled 10 min

I intend to mash this low and long (maybe 63deg for 90mins) hoping to get the FG down into target range.
Ferment at 11/12 for lager, 17/18 for fake lager...

Cheers all,

Nath

EDIT: Forgot to add, i'm a no chilla so expecting the IBU's to be closer to mid 20's...

I would be mashing higher, say 66 degrees, to get it into the alpha amylase zone to zap the starches in the rice. Either that or do a stepped mash starting low 60s and raise gradually to high 60s. If you mash too low the beta amylase from the malt is going to grumble at all that complex starch stuff.

Apart from that, I'll have a pint please :icon_drunk:

I would be mashing higher, say 66 degrees, to get it into the alpha amylase zone to zap the starches in the rice. Either that or do a stepped mash starting low 60s and raise gradually to high 60s. If you mash too low the beta amylase from the malt is going to grumble at all that complex starch stuff.

Apart from that, I'll have a pint please :icon_drunk:

Hmmm, righto Bribie that sounds good. I know sweet f#$k all when it comes to the different sugars and starches vs conversion temps..

Besides your logic, the other thing i didn't take into account is that i often get around 83-84% attenuation which means in my recipes, in my brewery, my FG's are usually 3 or 4 points lower than predicted anyway...Punching this attenuation figure into my recipe leaves me with a predicted FG within style parameters.

Also, on that topic of attenuation (without wanting to go as far as starting a new thread) is attenuation in this range a good thing or a bad thing? Or does it come down to personal preference.... Are these figures what most brewers get out of yeast?
I understand that a lower FG = drier beer/thinner mouthfeel etc, but outside of this, i don't know much about attenuation.

One last thing before i cement this recipe to my "planned recipe" file:

With the rice - do i literally "cook up" 1kg of dry, raw rice, and then add this mix of cooked rice and water/moisture to the mash with my grains??
Is there a liquor to kg ratio of rice to worry about?, or is it just cook 1kg of rice as though i'm gonna eat it, and then add to mash??

One last thing before i cement this recipe to my "planned recipe" file:

With the rice - do i literally "cook up" 1kg of dry, raw rice, and then add this mix of cooked rice and water/moisture to the mash with my grains??
Is there a liquor to kg ratio of rice to worry about?, or is it just cook 1kg of rice as though i'm gonna eat it, and then add to mash??

You hit it on the head, boil the !@#$ out of the rice until it's good and mushy and all the starches have glugged things up and then treat it like you grain. The rice is hot so it's a good idea to let it cool to your target mash temp first or it will continue to raise for some time.

Just regarding your attenuation, if you mashing in the low range getting 80% is pretty normal for say US05 in my experience.

Latest posts

Back