100% Rye... In Pictures!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fourstar

doG reeB
Reaction score
So i was dumb enough to do a beer with 100% rye. For all those tempted todo such a batch, be fearful but treat it with respect and you will come out unscathed. ;)

Ok so here is the grain, rye + cararye. simple bill.
_DSC2169_2.jpg

Mashed in with a beta glucan rest, went for around 40 mins.
_DSC2170_2.jpg

I then topped up and held mash at 67 and mashed for 1 hour. post mash below. Where is the liquor?!?! :unsure: Time to worry?
_DSC2171_2.jpg

Time to begin the sparge. Added around 400g of rice gulls. here is when the fear set in. They mostly appeared to float on the mash after mixing it all up.
_DSC2178_2.jpg _DSC2179_2.jpg

Fear NOT, young Grasshopper! The sparge completes and NEVER got stuck! :super:
_DSC2187_2.jpg'

Here is what 100% rye looks like on the first runnings
_DSC2183_2.jpg

Now the empty tun. It looks like porridge and gluey like clag amongst the rice hulls.
_DSC2192_2.jpg

Post boil runnings. Note the piss poor clarity and all sealed up ready for fermentation.
_DSC2198_2.jpg_DSC2202_2.jpg

Recipe for those who are interested.

100% Rye
American Wheat or Rye Beer

Type: All Grain
Date: 14/01/2011
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Braden
Boil Size: 30.90 L
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Brew Pot (40L) and Frosty Cooler (38L)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00

Ingredients

2.00 kg Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 23.53 %
6.00 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM) Grain 70.59 %
0.50 kg Caramel Rye (Weyermann) (35.0 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
20.00 gm Centennial [6.00 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 14.7 IBU
20.00 gm Amarillo [6.90 %] (20 min) Hops 9.3 IBU
10.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
10.00 gm Chinook [10.90 %] (0 min) Hops -
6.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
6.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.047 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.57 %
Bitterness: 24.0 IBU
Est Color: 8.6 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile
Sparge Water: 13.41 L Grain
Double Infusion, Medium Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
30 min Beta Glucan Rest Add 10.00 L of water at 49.7 C 43.0 C
60 min Saccrification Add 10.00 L of water at 98.8 C 67.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 10.00 L of water at 95.6 C 75.6 C

Looking forward to reading about the finished beer and how you rate it mate.

Nice one mate - I've had some interesting brews with rye - will be really curious to see how it turns out!

If you added 400gm gulls after mashing, when did the rest go in? Not one to assume (much ;)), but I hope pre mashing, and at the bottom of the tun under all that rye.

AWSOME!

And good to see the word Gulls in there too :)

the Rye gods smiled on you today :)

cheers

As Tony points out, the Rye Gods are happy!

Great hop combo there, and just enough rye.... I would have up'd the IBU to at least 50, but understand you have guidelines to follow...

good to see the ryevolution spreading

Assume you were fly sparging Fourstar?

Has the oilyness decreased with the Beta glucan rest? Otherwise (from past experience) I think you'll find the beer unpleasently oily to drink.

Cheers & good luck with the finished beer...keen to hear how it ends up.

Ross

Assume you were fly sparging Fourstar?

Has the oilyness decreased with the Beta glucan rest? Otherwise (from past experience) I think you'll find the beer unpleasently oily to drink.

Cheers & good luck with the finished beer...keen to hear how it ends up.

Ross

nope, batch sparge. the B glucan rest did aid with loosing the mash. it was like a brick beforehand, 40 mins later a lot looser.

I only added 400g at the end of the mash to those doubters. i do have a coarse crush however.

The beer was still quite slippery and sticky like KY Jelly/silicone spray. I added some yeast nutrient as well to aid fermentation. I hope she turns out well.. Time will tell.

The mouthfeel wasnt unpleasant on the post boil sample. Results will follow in dure course.

Cheers.

Them bloody rice gulls put up a hell of a fight when you put them in the mash tun

So i was dumb enough to do a beer with 100% rye. For all those tempted todo such a batch, be fearful but treat it with respect and you will come out unscathed. ;)

Ok so here is the grain, rye + cararye. simple bill.
View attachment 43632

Mashed in with a beta glucan rest, went for around 40 mins.
View attachment 43633

I then topped up and held mash at 67 and mashed for 1 hour. post mash below. Where is the liquor?!?! :unsure: Time to worry?
View attachment 43634

Time to begin the sparge. Added around 400g of rice gulls. here is when the fear set in. They mostly appeared to float on the mash after mixing it all up.
View attachment 43635 View attachment 43636

Fear NOT, young Grasshopper! The sparge completes and NEVER got stuck! :super:
View attachment 43637'

Here is what 100% rye looks like on the first runnings
View attachment 43639

Now the empty tun. It looks like porridge and gluey like clag amongst the rice hulls.
View attachment 43640

Post boil runnings. Note the piss poor clarity and all sealed up ready for fermentation.
View attachment 43641View attachment 43642

Recipe for those who are interested.

100% Rye
American Wheat or Rye Beer

Type: All Grain
Date: 14/01/2011
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Braden
Boil Size: 30.90 L
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Brew Pot (40L) and Frosty Cooler (38L)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00

Ingredients

2.00 kg Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 23.53 %
6.00 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM) Grain 70.59 %
0.50 kg Caramel Rye (Weyermann) (35.0 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
20.00 gm Centennial [6.00 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 14.7 IBU
20.00 gm Amarillo [6.90 %] (20 min) Hops 9.3 IBU
10.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
10.00 gm Chinook [10.90 %] (0 min) Hops -
6.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
6.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.047 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.57 %
Bitterness: 24.0 IBU
Est Color: 8.6 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile
Sparge Water: 13.41 L Grain
Double Infusion, Medium Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
30 min Beta Glucan Rest Add 10.00 L of water at 49.7 C 43.0 C
60 min Saccrification Add 10.00 L of water at 98.8 C 67.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 10.00 L of water at 95.6 C 75.6 C

100% rye for the win! Its a fantastic beer, i used choc and caramel rye in mine for some colour, NB/NS and Bsaaz, plus W forbidden fruit.

Attachments

• 055.JPG
    055.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 53
its gonna be like drinking oil! tried one of M's 100% rye at GHBS Xmas party two years ago and it was full on! sickly sweet and THICK!

its gonna be like drinking oil! tried one of M's 100% rye at GHBS Xmas party two years ago and it was full on! sickly sweet and THICK!
That's why you throw 1.65 shedloads of hops at it Fents... then it just slides on down, leaving an incredible hoppy residue coating the mouth.

kegged this bad boy tonight. the appearance has not changed since the runnings photos and the hops have mellowed 10x fold. the US aroma is almost undetectable and hidden behind a deep complex and almost smokey+chocolate rye character.

Funny, it took just as lonmg to fill from fermenter to kig via a disconnect as it does via a filter! thick stuff this rye is!

The foam on your lips is almost like trying to eat bubblebath and the body/mouthfeel can only be described as glue or oil. very slippery and sticky.

would i make it again? probably not. Is it terrible? nope. Its almost impossible to describe, you'll just have to make it for yourself. :icon_cheers:

To those attending the MB meeting tonight (wednesday). Come hunt me down. I'll be brining a few bottles of it for tasting! :beerbang:

kegged this bad boy tonight. the appearance has not changed since the runnings photos and the hops have mellowed 10x fold. the US aroma is almost undetectable and hidden behind a deep complex and almost smokey+chocolate rye character.

Funny, it took just as lonmg to fill from fermenter to kig via a disconnect as it does via a filter! thick stuff this rye is!

The foam on your lips is almost like trying to eat bubblebath and the body/mouthfeel can only be described as glue or oil. very slippery and sticky.

would i make it again? probably not. Is it terrible? nope. Its almost impossible to describe, you'll just have to make it for yourself. :icon_cheers:

To those attending the MB meeting tonight (wednesday). Come hunt me down. I'll be brining a few bottles of it for tasting! :beerbang:

I will do that tonight will be interesting.

Back