Mash Tun, Warped, False Bottom

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngy

Reaction score
Hi,

Did my 2nd AG on the weekend and another stuck sparge!!

Tipped all the grain out into a container, then I saw why this has done it again. The base of the esky has warped under the heat!

The false bottom is not level on the base of the esky.

What option's do I have to fix this.

Put a bottom on the False Bottom?
Change to braid or a manifold?
Wrap the false bottom in the material used for BIAB with a draw string?

This is really starting to p...s me off, I just want to brew beer.

Just to top if off when i was puring the grain back into the mash tun, it fell over and grain and wort went flying around the shed....

Any help would be great.

Attached is the pictures of my mash tun. (not warped)

Youngy

12042008082.jpg

12042008083.jpg

crickey what kind of heat are you putting in it? never heard of esky's warping.

Braid would work, dosnt really need a flat surface to sit on.

Other than that, buy another esky or make up a stainless mashtun using a keg.

Im sure other peeps will have more ideas tho.

Youngy

About the only advice I could offer would be to grab a length of 12mm clear racking hose, slice it lengthwise and push it around the outside of the FB to act as seal. Generally the cooler floors shouldn't warp enough to cause problems. What brand is your cooler? Perhaps the plastic on the inside is a bit on the thin side?

Also one other question... Is the pipe between the cooler wall and the FB copper and plumbed on solidly or is it racking or some form of flexible plastic hose?

Warren -

My 55L esky mash tun warps and bows when temps go above 50 degrees, though I use a braid so it doesn't cause any real problems.

I think the warping is a result of inadequate bonding between the insulation layers and the plastic in the esky wall - my esky (and I may be so bold as to say all eskies) was not designed to hold 30 litres of hot water, so while it can do it, there's going to be structural compromises, because the glues and the plastics weren't specced to do it.

cheers

Grant

Warren

It is a bit to warped to even with racking hose around the edge of the false bottom.

What brand is your cooler? DownUnder (see pic) it is rotomoulded.

Perhaps the plastic on the inside is a bit on the thin side? Hmm, bugger.

Is the pipe between the cooler wall and the FB copper and plumbed on solidly or is it racking or some form of flexible plastic hose? Racking hose with a copper pipe over it (to stop racking hose getting squashed) will do this properly once I work out what to do with this false bottom issue.

Cheers,

Youngy

My tun makes all kinds of weird and wonderful sounds when I mash in - due to the expansion I imagine

Doesn't appear to be any warping issue though - the beer belly false bottom sits flush

It's a willow 44L

Cheers

Youngy you could try the BIAB material around the false but if the bottom warps a lot then the grain may push up around the material. The only other option, that you haven't mentioned, is a copper manifold.
Oops, you did mention it !

Youngy I used to own an Igloo (which now belongs to RobW). It barely warped at all.

If it's moving even with a solidly-plumbed copper pipe you could be in a bit of strife with it. You might want to consider a copper manifold or braid.

You can always re-employ your false bottom in your boiler for whole hops and plugs.

Warren -

Back