Mash Tun Volume Biab, And Beersmith Biab Mash Option

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelbygreen

Crazy Clown
Reaction score
Hey I am getting a 80lt pot and I want to do double batched I have a mash tun but its a bit small for double batches, I have worked it out with BIAB and just want to make sure its right. I used a calculator tool to get the volume of tun I needed but I dont want to put the grain in and it all go flowing out the sides.

Ok based on 95% my recipes i will have about 12kg of grain, and worked out I will need about 56lts of water so its telling me I need a mashtun of 65lts which if its 80lts should be heaps.

Based on my experiences on BIAB you get heaps more wort out of the grain then what it says, The new beersmith has a BIAB mash option. Has any one used this and do you get more wort then what beersmith says? would it be best to add a few litres less and top it up if needed. As I will be unsure of boil off volumes and everything to begin with so I dont want to end up with 4lts more then I intended and have a weak beer.

Hey I am getting a 80lt pot and I want to do double batched I have a mash tun but its a bit small for double batches, I have worked it out with BIAB and just want to make sure its right. I used a calculator tool to get the volume of tun I needed but I dont want to put the grain in and it all go flowing out the sides.

Ok based on 95% my recipes i will have about 12kg of grain, and worked out I will need about 56lts of water so its telling me I need a mashtun of 65lts which if its 80lts should be heaps.

Based on my experiences on BIAB you get heaps more wort out of the grain then what it says, The new beersmith has a BIAB mash option. Has any one used this and do you get more wort then what beersmith says? would it be best to add a few litres less and top it up if needed. As I will be unsure of boil off volumes and everything to begin with so I dont want to end up with 4lts more then I intended and have a weak beer.

Beersmith's calculations should be good. The only iffy bit will be the boil-off rate.

Feel free to reserve a few litres of water from your mash

Run your boil for say an hour (assuming a 90 min boil), and determine your boil-off rate, if its what beersmith suggests it will be, then add back your water, otherwise don't

Yeah might do that I tend to get ale malt and do 60min boil but the time saving in doing doubles I will get away with 90 mins lol. I just like to work out OG of the wort before boil and just match that with beersmith if you get little more or little less boil off it wont affect it greatly

BS2's new calcs give me exactly the same numbers as the BIAB calculator spreadsheet, boil off volume, strike volume and so on. The only thing it doesn't have for me is the conversion from L to CM in my pot.

I'm pretty sure PP and others were consulted by Brad in making it, so once you nut out the particulars it should all be good. I think I only had to alter the grain absorption number down slightly until it matched my figures, but maybe I'm using an out of date calculator.

Yeah thats pretty much the one I used just on a different site. just wondering how accurate they are I guess. With 15lts to play with I am sure it will be fine

Latest posts

Back