Mash Tun Thermometer Probe Locations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finite

All Grain Gremlin
Reaction score
Happy Aussie day folks,

Im installing my temp display today onto my system. Its a modifed PC fan cotroller which has 3 thermometer probes that Im going to place around the brewery and be able to monitor the temps of various locations on the display.

I also have a mashmaster dial thermometer which im going to have in the mash tun as a back up, and its just easy to read when mashing. Here is what I was thinking...

1 probe in HLT (thats a givin)

1 probe in top of mash tun (messuring top of mash or even the temp of the headspace?)
1 probe at the bottom of the mash
+ the mashmaster in the middle of the tun.

Other things i could do would be use one to messure the ambient temp of the brewery or just leave one free for messurments, (hyro adjustments etc..., but i might just get a pen thermo for that (my other digital thermo broke the other day :( )). I was also thinking I could use the probes to messure the temp of the mash tun before underletting so i can hit my strike temp better.

FYI, the probes are raited from -50 to 90C so having on in the kettle is not an option not that I would have one in there anyway. Probes look like this:

100_0787.jpg

What can you guys sudgest? Is three temp readings for a mash tun overkill? How can I take advantage of this to help my brewing? How far would I need the probes into the mash?

Prost,
:beer:

bump, any opinions before I start drilling? ;)

I also have a mashmaster dial thermometer which im going to have in the mash tun as a back up, and its just easy to read when mashing. Here is what I was thinking...

1 probe in HLT (thats a givin)

1 probe in top of mash tun (messuring top of mash or even the temp of the headspace?)
1 probe at the bottom of the mash
+ the mashmaster in the middle of the tun.

I was also thinking I could use the probes to messure the temp of the mash tun before underletting so i can hit my strike temp better.

Is three temp readings for a mash tun overkill?

Prost,
:beer:

Hi Blake - You don't say what type of MLT you have but I use a 45lt esky that is well insulated. I have placed a dial MM about three inches from the bottom of the tun and that does an excellent job of giving me spot on temps for my grist during the whole of the mash and sparge. It also gives a clear temp of the grain / mash tun temp prior to underletting. Personally I think having two extra probes in the MLT is overkill. No reason to monitor the head space of the tun and if you stir the grist at the start and have good insulation you wont need a probe at the bottom of the tun.

Just my opinion.

Cheers, Hoges.

Thanks for that hogan. Im using an insulated, converted 50L keg.

Consider this Blake. Rather than go drilling holes all over the tun - just try using the MM for a start and if you are not satisfied with the result then put in the extra probes. We all start out racking our brains trying to put as many doodahs in to get the ultimate result - and down the track realise that they are just not needed.

Cheers and good luck - Hoges.

Hi Blake,
I'd just go with the mashmaster in your tun and leave it at that. Any more and you will end up worrying over something you can't fix anyway. I always record the ambient temperature to see how that affects the strikewater/mash temp ratio, so that would be a good one for you to include so you can see how summer/winter temps affect mash temp.

cheers

Browndog

I have a temp probe in my HLT
another in the pipe exiting the mash to the HERMS
and a third one in the pipe returning to the mash from the HERMS.

I dont actually have a probe in my mash tun.

I didnt like the idea of a probe getting in the way when im stiring the mash and trying to catch those dreaded dough balls

cheers

Blake

I've got mine located just above the tap (see pic). A lot will depend on grainbed depth and how much grain you're using at a time. I generally mash around 8-9kg per brew. Therm location sort makes it dead centre of the grainbed. Near enough for me. :beerbang:

Warren -

DSC01582.JPG

Back