Mash time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pogierob

Reaction score
I brewed a beer last night and mashed in, simple smash beer and maintained my mash temp for the hour, I then had the hurricane hour( kids bedtime) and didn't mash out until another hour had passed.

I basically hit my expected figures (was a couple of points down but i put this down to my home made pasta Machine grain mill).

I guess my question is, does it matter if you let it sit after the initial mash?

I did my boil and then no chilled as normal.

Thoughts?

Sounds like it went great. The mash length for an extra hour wouldn't have hurt at all, if you got close to your target gravity then no harm done.

Maybe higher attenuation/lower fg and less body.

Depends on og and yeast strain too.

4.00 kg Joe White traditional ale (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 80.0 % 0.50 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (39.4 EBC) Grain 2 10.0 % 0.50 kg Joe white wheat malt (3.5 EBC) Grain 3 10.0 % 8.00 g Simcoe [13.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 13.1 IBUs 36.00 g Cascade [6.90 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 5 18.3 IBUs 10.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6 10.0 IBUs 0.28 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 7 - 30.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs 1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 9 - 30.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color
Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.2 %
Bitterness: 41.3 IBUs
Est Color: 12.9 EBC
Measured Original Gravity: 1.051 S

I have always hit 1.010 with Us-o5 with all my APA's for FG

Edit. info on us-05

he he.. I love a good 2hr mash for the right beer... doing one tonight in fact..

I do tend to target the beers to some of the bigger ones I attempt create though..

I've done overnight mashes a couple of times and didn't notice marked or unpleasant thinness of beer. The urn was insulated, doughed in at around 67 and the temp has dropped to around 58 overnight. The next day I've raised to 72 degrees for 10 minutes then to mashout at 78 - I BIAB in the urn so temperature stepping is no problem.

Quite often I'll dough in then remember something I had to get in town, and just leave the mash to do its thing while I drive into Taree and usually get caught up at Bunnings or somewhere and lose track of time.

The original All Grain Guru in the 1970s, Dave Line, in his first book "The Big Book of Brewing" often included instructions such as "Mash for two hours or overnight". :)

Having said that, for comp brews I'm right on the knocker with my timer, but for quaffers I find that mash length doesn't cause any basic problems.

Some beers can benefit a long mash time. If you want a dry beer definitely.

On a side note, I just brewed 3 beers in 3 days (had today off) all of which were a couple of points lower than I expected but as I mentioned I put this down to my grain mill
I was re-organising my brew gear today and pulled out my refractometer and gave it a wash, and thought to myself - I didn't calibrate this before brewing this week, so I checked it and surprise surprise it was about 3 points out.

I also put two brews into my ferment freezer yesterday before I brewed the 3rd batch - about 6 hours later I went down stairs and heard the freezer humming away and looked at the stc-1000 and the reading didn't match my expectations. guess what?!!?

I had forgotten to put the probe in the freezer, so did a temp check at got 9.5deg oooopppss!!!

so I threw the no=chilled 3rd batch into the freezer, attached the probe to one of the chilled worts (where it bloody should have been in the first place) and wandered back up stairs.

checked it several times to monitor the wort temp and all seemed to level out reasonably well.

signs of fermentation appeared this arvo, so should be all good.

now all I have to do is think of a name for my over mashed over chilled brew

Did a brew yesterday where I mashed in at 7:30am and then took the family to the markets, one thing led to another and I didn't get the boil going until about 1:30 in the afternoon. Only lost 3-4 degrees over the time and seem to have a slightly better efficiency than expected. Was aiming for 1.050 and hit 1.056.

Also almost had a heart attack when I took a sample from the tap in the kettle (BIAB) once it got down to ambient it was reading 1.080! I figured that due to the long mash the sugar concentration was higher at the bottom of the pot, especially given the post boil gravity was nowhere near that.

some people mash overnight with no problems, also historically mashes were longer, up to 2-3 hours just for the process. The thing is you get conversion over the initial time at your mash temperature and after that it is not going to make a huge difference, but also is not going to do any harm

Most conversion is achieved in 20-30mins, depending an malt characteristics,age etc

Back