Mash Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick question after posting my earlier reply...

If I underlet and I have a false bottom in place, does the water sitting beneath the false bottom get adequately mixed into the mash - I suppose the same principle applies if you toss grains in the water?

I presume that underletting would be a piece of cake if you had a bazooka in the mashtun instead of a false bottom, so the HL would mix better with the grains?

Cheers,
TL

TL,

It will make little if any difference as you will end up recirculting the contents of you mash tun [at least 2 - 3 litres] minimum before either draining the loverly contents. Even when I fly sparged I recirculated at least that amount before begining to sparge. Whichever sparge method you use recirculate and the liquor at the bottom of the tun will be mixed. Don't forget as the density of the liquid increases the sugury liquid should displace the thinner liquid up into the mash.

I think from memory JM has a good height from the HLT to his mash tun and unless you have a good fall yourself or a pump it could be a slow process.

Steve

Back