Mash liquor for starter - avoid

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWiggman

Haters' gonna hate
Reaction score
With my ongoing dramas with the boiler a few weeks ago I achieved my pre-boil gravity and decided to run off some of the liquor for a separate boil. I ran the remainder of the mash tun until it was empty and split half of it to boil on the stove to see if some flavour issues occurred in both the boiler and pot on the stove. I found out it was the boiler, but thought nothing of the 1.5l I left in a soft drink bottle for a starter at a later date.
I got a fancy new Erlenmeyer flask for Christmas and just ordered some grains, so I thought I'd do a starter which should be ready by the time I come back. I opened the bottle and whew... stinky. I've smelt infected brew before and this wasn't it. There were also some stringy floaties in it and it was then I realised that it hadn't gone through the boil stage. Not being a chemist, I hoped that an extended boil might work for a starter if I could decant off some sediment.

Anyway, I was in the computer room and thought I could smell spew on me (always a possibility with kids). I sniffed about and realised it was coming from the kitchen two rooms away. Thanks to that crap on the stove, the house now reeks of spew. I'm talking may-last-until-morning kind of smell. I don't know what kind of enzymatic, estery, bacterial, diastatic, hipstomatic, cursed anger was going on inside that bottle, but it has wrecked havoc upon my premises and all who pass through it.

NOT RECOMMENDED. Though most would have the common sense not to do it.

Sounds like you didn't boil it for long enough mate

You have to boil it or freeze it immediately. Don't leave it unboiled...

I've used runoff / drainings from mashes for starters. Works really well for me!

Thanks for the warning!

I don't have kids so I'd end up assuming I either shit myself or SWMBO spewed somewhere haha

Pics of the Xmas goodies since you mentioned em! ;-)

Thanks for the warning!

I don't have kids so I'd end up assuming I either shit myself or SWMBO spewed somewhere haha

Pics of the Xmas goodies since you mentioned em! ;-)

Well then, ask and ye shall receive. HERMS time for me once I get my new boiler pot:

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1388186847.554739.jpg

Latest posts

Back