Mash/lauter Tun Won't Lauter!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LexP

Reaction score
Hey guys,

This is an issue I've had since the start with my mash tun and if it keeps up I'm going to have to trash the thing to get my rage out :angry:

Its a rubbermaid 10gal (38L) cyclindrical cooler with a 9" steel false bottom with a Beerbelly bulkhead. The pipe between the two is that helical hose from Beerbelly as well.

The issue is when it comes time to lauter absolutely nothing comes out of tap, even trying to blow air through the damn thing takes a lot of effort. However, just water will drain fine through it.

Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem?

Cheers,

Lex

gday lex,

how about a couple of pics mate

yard

Hey guys,

This is an issue I've had since the start with my mash tun and if it keeps up I'm going to have to trash the thing to get my rage out :angry:

Its a rubbermaid 10gal (38L) cyclindrical cooler with a 9" steel false bottom with a Beerbelly bulkhead. The pipe between the two is that helical hose from Beerbelly as well.

The issue is when it comes time to lauter absolutely nothing comes out of tap, even trying to blow air through the damn thing takes a lot of effort. However, just water will drain fine through it.

Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem?

Cheers,

Lex

Sounds wierd. What kind of tap is it? Have you tried replacing the tap? Got any pics?
Cheers
Steve

What's your grain bill?
Who's milling it, and how fine?
What's your litre/kg mash rate?
How long did you mash?
Batch sparge or fly sparge?
How fast are you trying to run it off?

I have had this happen to me before. I found that if you suck, much like if you're siphoning, that gets it going. I have about two metres of clear hose though so I can see the hot wort coming.... You don't want a mouthfull as I reckon that would hurt.

I don't use a false bottom though, I have a copper manifold... Might no be the same problem.

So suck, but don't blow! :lol: :lol:

Sounds like a girl I once knew.

PS. Sorry about the OT but couldn't resist.

What's your grain bill?
Who's milling it, and how fine?
What's your litre/kg mash rate?
How long did you mash?
Batch sparge or fly sparge?
How fast are you trying to run it off?

more info and pics would be helpful

Thanks for the replies so far guys,
I've got some photos but unfortunately I'm shaped at the moment its taking forever to get them up.

I'm nearly 100% sure this isn't a stuck sparge issue, I transferred the mash to a friend's tun (rectangular esky with a BB falsie) and it started flowing out the tap almost immediately.

Mashing for 90mins batch sparging. Milled myself but quite coarse with a F***-tonne of rice hulls because I've had this problem for awhile.

Lex
If you are coming to the WCB meeting tomorrow night bring your MLT along and we can have a gander at it and maybe spot something you haven't

I'll bet the weight of the grain is forcing the false bottom down onto the floor of the tun, shutting off the inlet to your hose.

A couple of cuts with a grinder across the nut, so wort can feed in from the sides will fix it.

MHB

Lex
If you are coming to the WCB meeting tomorrow night bring your MLT along and we can have a gander at it and maybe spot something you haven't

Hopefully, unfortunately working evenings at the moment which is upsetting for the Second monday of every month.

I'll bet the weight of the grain is forcing the false bottom down onto the floor of the tun, shutting off the inlet to your hose.

A couple of cuts with a grinder across the nut, so wort can feed in from the sides will fix it.

MHB

That sounds like it might be it. I'll try that.

Thanks guys!

MHB

either that or the FB isn't sitting flat on the bottom and grain is getting under it.
theres another post here somewhere where the guy had the same problem and he made a
bottom for the FB, like BB's rectangle FB has

Me too!

Pretty sure this has been covered before on another post.

Screwy

Back