Marga Muino Mill Adjustments

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received my marga for xmas :) Cheers Ross

And I have modified it.

I did this by basically working out where the knob should go and drilling through the out side of the knob through to the other side. I put a thin bit of wood under the knob so as not to stuff up the mill.

Worked like a dream

I'll post pics when i get a chance.

BTW the #2 was a little to the right of 6.00

Cheers

Looking forward to the pics CTK, I want to start modifing a few of these & this seems the easiest way with little risk of damaging the mill.

cheers Ross

I drilled another hole a couple of days ago as the gap just wasnt wide enough when working with the drill. The grain wasn't gripping. Ive botched up a cardboard hopper, got a 1cm spade bit for me drill...alls good...works a treat.
Cheers
Steve

Looking forward to the pics CTK, I want to start modifing a few of these & this seems the easiest way with little risk of damaging the mill.

cheers Ross

My method for modifying the mill

1) With a feeler gauge and the knob facing you, adjust the knob until it is at the appropriate position - this the gap where the grain comes out when milling - not the feeding gap - I found that the #2 is a little to the right of 6.00
2) Mark the position that needs to be drilled
3) I used a fairly small drill bit to drill through the exterior of the knob
4) I then put a thin piece of wood under the knob and drilled through the other side
5) I then did it again with a larger bit

I must have slipped when i did mine cause i ended up with a 1.0mm space instead of 0.9mm ... oh well

From what palmer writes a space between .09 to 1.3mm is acceptable

Attached is pic of the final hole and the makeshift hopper i've made and the base i cut out of chipboard - i enclosed the bottom of the mill with more cardboard

If i have the inclination later i'll probably extend on my kindergarden cardboard cutting techniques - the cardboard is sturdy enough - thanks coopers

Cheers

Edit: Speling

IMG_4855.jpg

IMG_4859.jpg

I actually used my mill on friday and found that it was necessary to make the hole that feeds the grain onto the rollers bigger other wise it gets stuck. I made it a fair bit bigger and now it occasionally gets stuck.

Has anyone actually replaced the plastic hopper part with some thing else?

I just wondering in the event that it breaks / cracks

Ross did you ever get those plans together for the hopper that you'd mentioned earlier?

Cheers

Here we go again.
Use the adjustment knob to set the widest feed roller gap possible. Then using feeler guages adjust the offset bushes either end of the crank/driven roller to set the crush roller gap at a parallel .040" (40 thou). Rip out the little hopper and fit a home made wide mouth hopper. If driving the mill with a power drill, grain will bounce out of the feed roller gap if the gap is narrow or the drill speed is not slow. While the drill is running, place a small (teaspoonfull) of grain in the hopper and watch what happens. This slows down milling speed, very important to have a wide feed roller gap and very slow drill speed, the grain will be crushed better and faster than at higher speeds and with less tearing of the husks.

Margarollerdiag.jpg

Sorry,
I stuffed up the post I was trying to do on hopper modifications for the Marga Mill, however, Ross is going to post my idea.

RichardR

ok a dumb ass question here. How do a read a feeler guage i cant ssem to find a 60 thou??
i used the 40thou setting as described by screwtop. this was a matter matching up the various gagues to equal 40 thou.

on each individual guage it says 2 numbers eg. .017 then underneath it says .019 which number do i go by?

i used the big number at the bottum (.019) then matched it up to 60. Then when it was back together it had closed up a little. Is this normal? does it have to be spot on or is near enough good enough.

Ill probably just get some cracked grain tomorrow and adjust my mill till it matches the HBS

cheers kingy

p.s so you reckon 40-45 is the go?

I was coming back from the airport on monday and stopped at white castle in carlton nsw

They have the mill there for $91

Details here

White Castle Furniture Art Gallery & Gifts
297-303 Princess Hwy Carlton NSW 2218
ph: (02) 9553 8065

No affiliation

Cheers

I modded my marga today. Thanks for the hints fixa and screwtop!

"Oh margie, you came and you crushed me some barley"

I've had a few :p

-Bonj

I modded my marga today. Thanks for the hints fixa and screwtop!

"Oh margie, you came and you crushed me some barley"

I've had a few :p

-Bonj

cheers mate..
I told my missus i wasn't completely useless like she says... :rolleyes: :blink: :p

Back