Marga Muino Mill Adjustments

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just thought I'd post to this thread again for another "budget" pimping of one's Marga. This mod cost me $8 all up.

I managed to score a large sheet of 5mm corflute (thanks Borrett for the tip on this material) gratis from a friend. Corflute is basically plastic cardboard. It's waterproof and quite strong and generally used for temporary outdoor signage. Basically a great low-cost material. That could probably be had for nothing from a willing Signwriter.

I then bought a 2m length of 1 inch x 1.5mm thick ally angle from Bunnings which was the only cost incurred (about $8). I cut the corflute 500mm high x 360 wide at the top point by 10mm wide at the bottom point. Then I just glued the corflute to the ally with some liquid nails which worked a treat. :)

Hopper should hold 6-7kg of grain which is good for my 8-9kg grainbills.

Not pretty but should be quite effective. That said Jennifer Hawkins couldn't make a Marga look pretty. :lol:

Here's a couple of pics. ;)

Warren -

DSC01245.JPG

DSC01253.JPG

Wuhoo, she's complete at last.

OK OK, yours is bigger than mine. ;)

Cheers

Brent

The crush aint over till the fat hopper 'slims.. (boom boom)

.....Way of the future. way of the future.. way of the future.. way of the future.. way of the future.. way of the future.. way of the future.. way of the future.. way of the future.. way of the future.. way of the future.. way of the future.. way of the future.. way of the future.. way of the future.. way of the future..

Nice one Warren - I think it's inspiring me to get my Marga rolling - been gathering dust ever since I bought it over 6 months ago...

Cheers Ross

I managed to score a large sheet of 5mm corflute (thanks Borrett for the tip on this material) gratis from a friend. Corflute is basically plastic cardboard. It's waterproof and quite strong and generally used for temporary outdoor signage. Basically a great low-cost material. That could probably be had for nothing from a willing Signwriter.

top idea Warren, the missus works in a pub, corflute by the box load there for advertising etc, might finally find a use for something with Carlton Mid written on it!!!

will use when I get my crankandstein!!

Grab

Great job on the mill, Warren...
Steve very kindly dropped of some corflute the other day and I've been stuffing around with other things, but your solution is exactly what I've been after - I was worried about how the corflute walls would hold 5+kg of grain without collapsing and the ally angle is the solution - much better than loads of Caribou tape!!
It's off to Bunnings I go!
Cheers,
TL

No worries TL.

I've had about 5-6kg in it in one sitting and didn't even look like breaking up. :)

Don't forget the Liquid Nails. ;)

Warren -

Very classy Bindi. :beerbang:

Like the idea of perspex. You can see how much grain you've got left in the hopper as opposed to craning your nose over the lip of the corflute one (assuming you're sitting with the drill) like Kilroy. :blink:

Warren -

Very classy Bindi. :beerbang:

Like the idea of perspex. You can see how much grain you've got left in the hopper as opposed to craning your nose over the lip of the corflute one (assuming you're sitting with the drill) like Kilroy. :blink:

Warren -

The drill is stapped down on the outrigger [for want of a better word :huh: ] and the speed is set with a cable tie, gives a great crush.
High tech hey.

Do the guys using these mills use them at full drill speed?

I bouhgt a second hand one some time ago, and have just tried to use it, it seems ridiculously slow, the crush is good on the #2 setting, but I thinnk i would have to leave it overnight to mill for one batch.

Or do you guys use the coarse crush, then feed through for a #2 crush?

Do the guys using these mills use them at full drill speed?

I bouhgt a second hand one some time ago, and have just tried to use it, it seems ridiculously slow, the crush is good on the #2 setting, but I thinnk i would have to leave it overnight to mill for one batch.

Or do you guys use the coarse crush, then feed through for a #2 crush?

Go back to post #17 by Gough and he posted This . :)

And the speed I set is not fast and not too slow, just fast enough for a good crush, trial and error.

Hi guys,

sorry to drag this up again. I'm looking into how difficult the adjustments would be for the Marga Mill, and I can't seem to find any instructions or piccies on how to go about it? The link from the initial post no longer works, and Gough's post #17 seems to no longer have the piccies available.

Are there any places where I might be able to find some info? I've looked through lots of other posts on the Marga, but nothing there...

KS

KS,
I have removed the pics that were linked to that thread #17 because the are for the older model mill and are not of any use to people buying the mills from Ross because the mill design is different.
This thrad has more info on the newer mills
mill

Cheers
Andrew

managed to score a large sheet of 5mm corflute (thanks Borrett for the tip on this material) gratis from a friend. Corflute is basically plastic cardboard. It's waterproof and quite strong and generally used for temporary outdoor signage. Basically a great low-cost material. That could probably be had for nothing from a willing Signwriter.

Any brewers in Qld want this matieral I have tons!!!! you just have to look at megaswill branding.

Cheers JJ

I received my marga for xmas :) Cheers Ross

And I have modified it.

I did this by basically working out where the knob should go and drilling through the out side of the knob through to the other side. I put a thin bit of wood under the knob so as not to stuff up the mill.

Worked like a dream

I'll post pics when i get a chance.

BTW the #2 was a little to the right of 6.00

Cheers

Very important with the Marga to set the crush roller gap properly. These mills have an offset axle which is adjusted using the adjustment knob and the axle bushes are also offset for adustment of the roller parallel to the driven or lower roller. The feed roller gap should be opened up to the widest setting, then use the offset bushes on the axle to adjust the crush roller gap, set it using feeler guages and be sure it is parallel by setting each end and then double checking. Rough diagram below: Try for .040" - .045" (40 - 45 thou.)

Margarollerdiag.jpg

Back