March Pump 809 Pl-hs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clatty

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wondering if a March pump is capable of pumping solids? More specifically grain? For example could you transfer the whole mash from one vessel to another using a March pump or would this be bad for the pump?

Thanks
clatty

I find even after it is filtered through the grain, the shaft with the impeller gets little bits of husk stuck in there which eventually stop the impeller.

Im just going to ask why would you want/need to pump grains?

Im just going to ask why would you want/need to pump grains?

I thought someone would... :)

Ok, this is very non-traditional and without going into too much detail, I have a modified 200 litre jacketed conicalish vessel. The jacket has a 4.8kw element and can bring liqour to the boil.

The grand plan is to mash, boil, chill and wait for it... ferment in this one vessel. A chest freezer holding temperature controlled water will be circulated throughout the jacket during fermentation, also will be used to help chill after the boil.

I am just looking at mashing options hence the question on march pumps.

I find even after it is filtered through the grain, the shaft with the impeller gets little bits of husk stuck in there which eventually stop the impeller.

Hmm, thanks dent, march pump probably not suitable then.

Seperate mash and lauter vessels? :huh:

Cheers SJ

Yeah that's about right SJ. One idea is to mash in the large conical tank and then suspend a 50 liter keg with a false bottom. I would then recirc the whole mash from the bottom of the large vessel through the keg catching and rinsing the grist in the meantime. Hope that makes sense...

I could just do a very large BIAB i suppose :blink:

Cheers
clatty

I thought someone would... :)

Ok, this is very non-traditional and without going into too much detail, I have a modified 200 litre jacketed conicalish vessel. The jacket has a 4.8kw element and can bring liqour to the boil.

The grand plan is to mash, boil, chill and wait for it... ferment in this one vessel. A chest freezer holding temperature controlled water will be circulated throughout the jacket during fermentation, also will be used to help chill after the boil.

I am just looking at mashing options hence the question on march pumps.

That vessel sounds interesting Clatty - got a picture of it that you can show us?

That vessel sounds interesting Clatty - got a picture of it that you can show us?

It's at the SS fabrication shop at the moment breezy, getting a couple of welds done. When I get it up and running I will post pics.

I'm still on the lookout for a pump that will pump the whole mash and have emailed Karl from process pumps, hopefully he can sort me out.

Cheers
clatty

Latest posts

Back