Malt Shovel Homebrew Concentrates

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PMyers

Reaction score
Just thought you all might like to know that the new Malt Shovel Homebrew concentrates have arrived at our Girraween store this afternoon, and will be at the other Country Brewers (excluding Bathurst - sorry Brian) from tomorrow.

Just a reminder that these kits are retailing for $18.90 and make 11.5 litres.

Cheers,
Pete

:chug:

I just called West Brew distributors, and they "hadn't heard of it".

Unless Malthouse brings some over directly (which I doubt they will due to the expenses) we wont be seeing them in WA :( Malthouse stock ESB kits & fresh wort here(with a fair markup due to the amount it costs them to ship them here for 1 store).

well for the price and reduced volume it would have to be good and just as good as the james squire range or just as good as muntons gold range. so i wait to hear how u guys go with it before i will buy it.

I'm thinking about doing the two can brew with a liquid yeast.
Just can't decide on the Oatmeal Stout, the Deep Roasted Ale or the Pale Ale.
Decisions decisions.

Doc

Well doc lets us know how the brew turns out to see if it is any good

Well, I went and saw Pete and picked up two cans of the Pale Ale.
Put the brew down this morning using a cultured Coopers Vintage Ale yeast.
OG 1044 with the two cans and 19.7 litres of water.

Will let you guys know how it turns out.

Beers,
Doc

Doc said:
Well, I went and saw Pete and picked up two cans of the Pale Ale.
Put the brew down this morning using a cultured Coopers Vintage Ale yeast.
OG 1044 with the two cans and 19.7 litres of water.

Will let you guys know how it turns out.

Beers,
Doc
I'll be putting down one next weekend. Probably the "Nut Brown Ale". I'll let you all know what I think of that one :)

btw Perth people, West Brew did get them in after all ..

Hello all - wondering if anyone has tasted a msb kit brew yet?

cheers
reg

Mine is still in secondary.
Had a tasted when I racked it.
Tasted alright.
Not very hoppy though.
Will report back when I've kegged it.

Cheers,
Doc

Doc,

Sounds like a prime case for some DRY HOPPING...

Mines still in primary. I'm not going to secondary it. I'm leaving it in primary for 14 days then kegging. Need to fill a keg quickly, I'm almost out of keg beer :(

i did the pale ale

just racked straight into the keg.

definately needs some more hops....thought it would be better personally.

I had a discussion with a retailer in th HB industry and here's what resulted. if you use a can that "promotes" 1kg of "sugar", dont add the "sugar" and make to 11.5 litres..excellent beer..the sugar doesn't add flavour ,it just ups the alc level and thins out the body of the beer, hop level is the same. Therefore the same goes for the MS cans....add your usual adjuncts and make to 22.5/23ltr. The only reason they stipulate 11.5ltr and no additives; is to keep it in a ball park of flavour of the JS beers and make you, THE CONSUMER,pay near double the price of any decent can on the market.Only when you add malt and other adjuncts that leave flavour residuals/unfermentables does it change the hopping rates/mouthfeel of the can...which can be easily altered with extra hop additions and proper additives. The trick is matching the hops used in the can and achieving the desired hop levels without starting IBU's of the can.

Something to muse anyway

Fair enough, Linz, but if you're going to add more hops and more malt and other grains, why not just make your own recipe from scratch? Why use a kit at all? I mean if the aim is to match the flavour profile of the can in the first place, either buy 2 cans and suck down the cost or make your own brew. If you don't match the kit's taste exactly, you're changing the flavour profile/balance anyway.

thats the point...its just another can with somebody elses name on it.And they want you to buy 2 cans to make 23lts when one and a booster will do

And an expensive one at that.If you keep buying it then the other/same makers will want the same price for the other cans.

The big boys have landed looking for another .0005% of the market share and its h/brewings turn to pay if we let them

just remember its Lion Nathan NOT the Malt Shovel Brewery

Bring on The Australian Strong Ale!!!!

Linz said:
thats the point...its just another can with somebody elses name on it.And they want you to buy 2 cans to make 23lts when one and a booster will do

And an expensive one at that.If you keep buying it then the other/same makers will want the same price for the other cans.

The big boys have landed looking for another .0005% of the market share and its h/brewings turn to pay if we let them
One can and a booster won't do. Unless you really luck out, you won't get beer that tastes like the kit alone. That's my whole point.

I've presently got a Roger's clone going. If they released a Roger's kit, I wouldn't buy it, I'd just keep adjusting my recipe until it tastes the way I want it to. Not that copying commercial beers exactly is my aim. I actually prefer to just make beers that I like.

Not that I want to start "THAT" argument over here too ;)

I'll be racking my MSB "Deep Roast Ale" to a keg tomorrow evening or saturday late morning. I'll give some feedback on sunday evening hopefully. It was made pretty much to the can, except I used 21.5L of water instead of 23. I even used the kit yeast.

I'll be racking my extract/grain IPA to secondary too. Going to dry hop that with 1/2 a plug of styrian goldings and 1/2 a plug of cascade.

I'll take some of the WY1056 trub and make something with it. Not sure what yet though. Either an amber ale or another APA.

Should probably bottle my barleywine sometime this weekend too..

Back