Malt Shovel Kit Problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcraig20

Reaction score
I got given a tin of Malt shovel deep roast ale for christmas from the missus (got to love her ;)).

Anyway, I put it down about a week ago as per instructions (1 tin to 11.5 litres of water), with the kit yeast.

It fermented really quite quickly, and then just died in the ass. Gravity is reading 1.022 at the moment, that seems pretty high to me, although Ive done a search here and found someone else mentioning a FG of 1.015, so maybe its not that unbelievable.

Ive tried about everything to get things moving again, gave it a shake, gave it a stir, warmed it up, stirred it again. Not a bubble. So the question is what to do now? I have some S04 here that I can dump in and see if that kicks it along, or is it done and I should just bottle?.

difficult it is to say....hmmm
Is the hydrometer working corectly? Is the air lock leaking?

Scenario 1. If the airlock isn't tight the bubbles in hydro sample may have given a mis-read.
(I.e higher FG then actual FG.)
Solution 1: Leave for a couple of more days.

Scenario 2. Hydrometer is out.
Solution 2: Leave for a couple of more days.

Scenario 3. Yeast died. I.e. Didn' t finnish the job.
Solution 3: Leave for a couple of more days.

CAUTION: Isolate all primed bottles from all living beings exluding pests. I.e. neighbours barking dogs etc...

Seriously: IDHAFC. I am not qualified just another brewer.

if you do pitch more yeast only add a 1/4 of your packet. IMHO.

Back