Malt Shovel Homebrew Concentrates

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well i have seen msb in adelaide any good reports on them yet or am i wasting my money

Kook

What was your Barley Wine recipee ?

Linz - I have always been of the belief that the average homebrew concentrate is designed with the knowledge that people will be adding only sugars/boosters to the kit, and the makers have therefore overcompensated the flavour profile to make up for this. Double dump your average brew and you will more than likely get a very strong tasting beer - not always for the better. The MSB cans have not been designed this way, and I am certain that if you made one of these tins to 23 litres using a booster pack in place of double dumping, you may well end up with a very bland beer. Just a thought.

Cheers,
Pete

:chug:

GMK said:
Kook

What was your Barley Wine recipee ?
15L volume:

4.5KG Light LME
400g dark crystal malt (110L)
100g goldings pellets (65g @ 60, 35g @ 15)

I used WYeast scottish ale. Still in secondary at the moment.

I *really* need to rack my MSB Deep Roast to a keg tonight. I was lazy and got no brewing done on the weekend :angry

Mmmmmm ... Barley Wine ....

Started an impromptu Barley Wine on 03/04 that only stopped fermenting at the end of May - about nine weeks of ferment! Basically it was 5 tins of Munton's Pilsner and a tin of Munton's Wheat with 28g Styrian Goldings dry hopped, fermented with a champagne yeast & dry enzyme. It had an O.G. of 1140 and finished at 1.030, making it about 15.4% bottled. It isn't worth a pinch of shit at the moment, but I think it may mellow out in about 12 - 18 months. I'm normally not into making super-strong beers just for the hell of it, but when the thought for this crossed my mind I thought "what the hell".

Cheers,
Pete

Kook,

Your barley wine recipee.

What was your OG....

Kook,

IMHO an OG of 1091 is a touch low for a Barley Win.

I usually aim for around 1100.

But is it all right to use your recipee as a basis for an extract partial mash BW -
However, i still have 2 cans of Muntons Barley Wine in the pantry.

I have made 2 barley wines..one in 1999 came 2nd in 2000 ACT State and 2nd in Nationals.

Second in 2000 - came 3rd in the 2001 ACT State championships and 9th at the Nationals.
My recipee is for 28 litres.
2x cans Muntons Barley Wine
2.5 kg of amber LME
500 gms of dark brown sugar
4 teaspoons of gypsum
50 grams of East Kent Goldings - EKG Boil
25 gms EKG for Dry Hoping.

Made a yeast starter with 2 x Muntons yeast.

Boil LME and sugar in pot with 6 litres of water and Hops for 20 mins. Let stand for 10 mins.

Pour into fermenter - unstrained - with contents of 2 cans...
top up to 28 ltrs or until og is approx 1100.
Ferment in primary for 2 weeks...Rack to secondary - dry hop with 25 gms of EKG for one month.
Optional - rack to tertiary and lager in fridge for a further 2 to 4 weeks.
Bottle and prime with half the normal sugar. I bottled in stubbies.
Great in Canberra Cold Winters.
I still have only one stubbie of 1999 BW left :angry:
but, when the time is right :D iwill be :chug:

By BJCP guidelines a barleywine is OG 1080 - 1120. 1091 is enough for me. The WYeast got it down to 1021 FG! Damn good yeast that scottish ale.

You can do whatever you want with the recipe, it was a quicky thrown together cause I wanted to brew one :)

Kook,

Thanks for that...

When i do my extract/partial mash BW i will base it on your recipee.

Will use a Wyeast this time:
The Scotish Ale
or maybe the sweat mead.

My BW Fg doesn't finish that low....think it was around 1025.

If you make it to Ballarat...I would like to try one... :chug:

I finished my keg of pale ale

It did not clear up at all, i was quite dissapointed with it really.

Wasn't the most enjoyable thing to drink that i've brewed either.

Racked my "Deep Roast Ale" tonight to a keg. I'll give it a taste on saturday and see what its like :). Looked a bit cloudy, the kit yeast didnt seem to flocculate? all that well.

Looking at the above two, maybe a can and a booster....and maybe some finnings might be a chance then eh??? :unsure:

OK.

MSB Deep Roast Ale:

Linz, you definately wouldnt want to kit/kilo it, you'd end up with incredibly bland beer. I just tasted the first glass from my keg of this, and I was, well a little dissapointed. Great texture (due to my high FG of 1015 I presume). Lovely appearance, clear very dark brown, red tinges when you hold it up to the light. Great head, and suprisingly good retention too. The aroma was very lacking though. Smelt slightly malty/biscuity, that was about it really. Flavour was dissapointing too, rather bland malty taste with an aftertaste of chocolate malt. No real burnt or bitter tastes to it at all.

IMO this beer could benefit from some steeped dark grains (bit of choc malt, and a touch of roast barley?) and finishing hops. Its completely lacking in hops.

Not a bad kit beer, but nowhere near as good as the Muntons Premium Gold brew I tried (Smugglers Ale).

The sooner people stop paying $20 for a 1.7kg can the better!! If it keeps going then you'll see brewiser at $20 a can(and that can't be good!).
Yeah I might be tight, but half the reason most start is the cost saving,not to mention the improvement in flavour & quality(something this product lacks on both counts according to the previous posts)
Remember its lion nathan NOT the malt shovel after their share

Give me an ESB 3kg can for $20 anyday ;)

Finally kegged my Pale Ale MS kit tonight.

Had a taste and the dry hopping of the fuggles has made a noticable difference. Definitely smells better for a start.
Didn't taste too bad either, but it isn't going to be anything special.

Will report back later in the week when I tap the keg.

Beers,
Doc

kook said:
Not a bad kit beer, but nowhere near as good as the Muntons Premium Gold brew I tried (Smugglers Ale).
Man, that was a GREAT brew.
The Mrs and I was stunned that it had come from a kit.

It's a shame about the Malt Shovel kits, there was such potential there. I hope word gets to the top about this and the recipes are saved before the name is dragged thru the mud :)

Po Mo, did you just kit n kilo the Munton's Smugglers Ale or did you add anything else to it?

- Snow.

Muntons Premium Gold range is much like the ESB 3KG range, except its 3.4KG. Two 1.7KG tins in a box, with muntons "gold" ale yeast.

Costs around $42 for a kit though, but its got everything you need ingredients wise, apart from water. Works out around the same price as buying 2x MSB kits, but IMO tastes and smells better. I've never got such strong hop aroma from a kit before.

Next time I need a keg filler I may make another MPG brew.

Has anyone tried a Woodfordes brew?

I started work on the Pale Ale keg last night.
Working on it again tonight and it is pretty good for a straight kit beer, although the addition of the dry hopped fuggles in secondary has definitely improved it from when I tasted it on racking.

All-in-all not a bad drop. Pretty much a good session beer. Nothing over distinctive or special but will go down well.

Beers,
Doc

Latest posts

Back