Malt Extract Expiry Date

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mika

Lupulin Threshold Shift Victim
Reaction score
I'm sure I've seen a thread for this somewhere else in this forum, but can't seem to find it. Found lots of other really interesting stuff, but that's another story...

Was at the LHBS and they had the Coopers Liquid Wheat Malt Extract in the bargain bin, as it was out of code. At $5 for 1.5kgs I couldn't resist, but now wondering if there would be any issues if I used it in a brew :unsure:

Thoughts ?

mika_lika said:
I'm sure I've seen a thread for this somewhere else in this forum, but can't seem to find it. Found lots of other really interesting stuff, but that's another story...

Was at the LHBS and they had the Coopers Liquid Wheat Malt Extract in the bargain bin, as it was out of code. At $5 for 1.5kgs I couldn't resist, but now wondering if there would be any issues if I used it in a brew :unsure:

Thoughts ?
[post="122434"][/post]​

Old extract tends to turn dark & can give a nasty metalic tang to your beer. Old extract has no place in your beer - sorry....

P.S. There again you might be lucky...

Cheers Ross

Ive noticed on the web that "stale" extract is sometimes implicated in cidery flavours.

However, I have no idea if tinned extract would become "stale" with age.

Bruce

BruceL said:

However, I have no idea if tinned extract would become "stale" with age.

[post="122445"][/post]​

Yes it Does,Hence the "use by dates".

Old extract is not a money saver if it buggers up a whole brew. :angry:

Hmmm, might have to go into a "neighbour" beer then.
I can't seem to find the expiry/use by date on the can. If it wasn't that far out I'd probably chance it, but it might be old enough to vote... who knows :unsure:

Try the underside.There must be something,or how would the hb shop know it was past it.
Maybe a batch # or something you could email to coopers for confirmation.

Simple, open it, if there is no corrosion inside the can taste it. If it tastes like hoppy sweet ME then use it, throw in another can or Dex and DME or better add some steeped grain, good yeast and go for it. Will probably be better than the can used as per the directions inside UBD.

Its best to avoid dented cans (especially if on the seams) as denting can fracture the tin coating inside allowing the contents to react with the steel.

Bruce

Latest posts

Back