Male Xmas Case Swap 2008

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1 Kabooby - Dunkelweizen - Ready to drink. Bottled from the keg so use the whole bottle
2 ham2k - Koelsch - bottled on 30/11/08 so not ready for a while.
3 Lagers - Brown Ale - Leave at least 1 more week before chilling
4 MCT - Irish Red - Ready to drink.
5 wambesi - Amarillo APA - Ready to go
6 agroholden
7 Dravid - porter
8 regulator - APA - very little yeast to prime (bottled from keg), leave for a good month
9 Feelcede - Smoky Golden Ale
10 MattSR - Hefeweizen - ready to drink

Yep, top night once again guys.

1 Kabooby - Dunkelweizen - Ready to drink. Bottled from the keg so use the whole bottle
2 ham2k - Koelsch - bottled on 30/11/08 so not ready for a while.
3 Lagers - Brown Ale - Leave at least 1 more week before chilling
5 wambesi - Amarillo APA - Ready to go
6 agroholden
7 Dravid - porter
8 regulator - APA - very little yeast to prime (bottled from keg), leave for a good month
9 Feelcede - Smoky Golden Ale - I would leave for a couple more weeks, tastes ok, not yet fully carbonated yet
10 MattSR - Hefeweizen - ready to drink

Thanks all for a great night and some great beer.

Cheers All

PJ

PS. the Smoked Golden ale is mine

Alrighty then let me be the first to write up....
Now I am really bad at describing tastes etc, so you get what your given!

Never tried this style before so had no idea what to expect but it was quite nice.
Small head on the pour which disappeared soon after and left a sweetish dark red/brown ale.

Very easy to drink, cheers MCT.

Alright , time to spill the beans on some swap brews i've had

5 Wambesi - Amarillo APA
Excellent long lasting head right to the bottom of the glass & spot-on carbonation. It was a golden colour but had some haze to it as well , which could be due to incomplete mash OR too much wheat malt. The aroma was good and spicy with an excellent hop flavour & good balance of bitterness that lasts to the end carying the flavour with it.

Excellent refreshing beer.

10 MattSR - Hefeweizen

Excellent high carbonation kept the thick white head going. Golden straw colour & crystal clear. The aroma has a light malt sweetness with some sourness & clove. The palate is initially clovey with some upfront sweetness which leaves some at the end resulting in a medium bodied beer which may be a tad sweet for some. The clove wasn't excessive which was good for me cause i don't like too much of it.
Great beer , you should have no regrets.

Lagers

9 Feelcede - Smokey Golden ale

A golden amber colour but cloudy. Good carbonation & creamy head. The nose has some sweet maltyness with some hop spice as well. Can't detect any smokeyness but the flavour is great, malty yet dry with a good hop flavour & bitterness. It's the hop flavour that really has my interest , excellent beer.
I'm starting to think mine isn't up to the mark this time !

Lagers

I was wondering if anyone else had started drinking them yet. :)
I've only had the one yet, but planning on maybe one or two tomorrow night.....

3 Lagers - Brown Ale

A reddish brown colour with not much head but reasonable carbonation for an ale. The aroma was malty with somw chocolate character. Palate was light & refreshing with a slightly toasty character & dryish finish, no hop character at all. Tastes more like what a mild should be. Easy drinking
un-challenging beer, quite good.

Lagers

Ok, only new to describing the beers I have drunk, so here I go.

1 Kabooby - Dunkelweizen - Ready to drink. Bottled from the keg so use the whole bottle.

Nice very dark ruby red in colour, I found carbonation to be ok although it didnt keep its head. Nice kind of sweet roasted aroma with a little bit of a tart roasty flavour to a hefe wheat with a light to medium body.
This is only the second Dunkelweizen I have had so I am no expert, but I really enjoyed this one.

Cheers

PJ

10 MattSR - Hefeweizen

Nice crystal clear straw like colour, high carbonation with a thick head that lasted. I found it to have a pretty strong clove like flavour but I couldnt pick any banana flavours. I found it to be relatively sweet with a slight spicy note with a dry like finish.

Another enjoyable beer

cheers

PJ

>>>1 Kabooby - Dunkelweizen

Drank this one a while back but forgot I had until I just checked the fridge!
From what I can remember ;) it was not bad. darker colour although I'm now finding wheats are not my top choice for beers.
But in saying that I had no problem throwing it down!

>>>9 Feelncede - Smokey Golden ale

Nice golden colour. Carbonation maybe a little low for an APA I'm thinking, but not by much.
I think I'm finding a little smoky flavour on the back afterwards - drinking it as I type.
Not as harsh a "bite" as my golden ale - working on that!

I have had all of mine except for the smokey golden. Unfortunately I had them in a fridge that decided it was going to freeze them :(

Anyway after I let them defrost most of them were still good

Enjoyed all the beers so thanks guys

Kabooby :)

5 wambesi - Amarillo APA

Found to be light golden in colour, well carbonated but the head didnt last (I think my glass wasnt beer clean) it had a good citrusy aroma and a sweet malty and citrusy flavour that wasnt over powering. I really enjoyed this beer, wishing I had another.

Cheers

PJ

3 Lagers - Brown Ale

Dark brown in colour, didnt head up but found it to be carbonated. Nice malty profile with a chocolate finish. Very easy to drink, very enjoyable

Cheers

PJ

4 MCT - Irish Red

I think there could be something wrong with my bottle, no real pressure release upon opening the bottle, poured and got half a glass of head, cidery smell and flavour.

I couldnt drink it.

Sorry

PJ

8 regulator - APA

light golden in colour, well carbonated and the head lased all the way down the glass (cleaned glass several times and rinsed with hot clean water), not citrusy as I am use to, but a very enjoyable drink.

Cheers

PJ

2 ham2k - Koelsch

Had to try before work stops me from sampling Homebrew for a While. Straw like in colour, and slightly carbonated with a thin head (probably due to being young). I don't believe I have had a Koelsch before, I found it to have a sweet maltiness with a small amount of hop bitterness and I cannot find the words for the aroma. I thoroughly enjoyed this beer, I think I have found new favorite beer.

Cheers

PJ

Thats all beers tasted, thanks for those that went into the swap.

>> ham2k - Koelsch

Sipping on this one right now.
An amber colour initially poured with a small head which then disappeared.

Very pleasant tasting, I haven't had one before so it was quite a treat. Sweet tasting and not heavily carbonated. Might have to look into brewing one.

>> regulator - APA

Poured with a big head which reduced down to a thin layer, but kept there.
Quite carbonated, I don't know how to really explain but tastes a little grassy on the back to me (not bad though) I think it just needs a little more conditioning time - mine usually have it early on.
Nice drop, about to pour the rest and drink it down with some homemade sausage rolls for dinner. :)

8 APA

Slightly cloudy light amber colour with great carbonation & good head that lasts to the bottom of the glass. The aroma was nice & citrusy & the flavour was hoppy with good bitterness behind it. A nice dry beer with freat flavour & aroma, excellent job.

Hope mine turns out this good.

Lagers

Back