Male July 08 Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had the Pumpleweizen last night.

Poured with a big white fluffy head and the colour was spot on. The head went quickly even though it was carbonated enough. Picked up a slight phenolic taste that overpowered any of the esters that should be in a dunkelweizen. Still very drinkable though

How was the kegged version?

Kabooby :)

Number 9 Dravid---Ordinary Bitter

Quite a clear light amber beer poured with a good 1" head. Carbonation seemed good with some light bubbles rising in the glass. The nose was malty with a light metallic aroma, reminds me of sodium metabisulphate. Flavour had that same metallic taste with a malty front palate & a balancing bitterness but like my Fullers clone lacked that hop taste & punch. Other than the metallic taste, which was more on the nose & front palate, it was a cleanly made beer with a dry crisp finish.
Well done Dave.

Lagers

Number 8 Pumpleweizen

Poured with a thick creamy head that lasted a few minutes then started to die down. The colour was a light brown & cloudy, looked very good. Aroma was malty with what seemed like a light hop character & an ever so slight hint of clove as well. The taste was excellent with an upfront medium body & that light cloveiness. Carbonation was high so that the tongue had a prickle which masked more flavours + it was served quite cold, when it warmed there was more clove & some estery characters & a winey like character. The finish was dry but left a slightly cloying in the mouth needing another sip to refresh.
Weizens aren't my favourite style by a long shot but this was quite drinkable when really chilled & on a sunday arvo in the sun. Quite enjoyed it , thanks Pumpy.

Lagers

Number 8 Pumpleweizen

Poured with a thick creamy head that lasted a few minutes then started to die down. The colour was a light brown & cloudy, looked very good. Aroma was malty with what seemed like a light hop character & an ever so slight hint of clove as well. The taste was excellent with an upfront medium body & that light cloveiness. Carbonation was high so that the tongue had a prickle which masked more flavours + it was served quite cold, when it warmed there was more clove & some estery characters & a winey like character. The finish was dry but left a slightly cloying in the mouth needing another sip to refresh.
Weizens aren't my favourite style by a long shot but this was quite drinkable when really chilled & on a sunday arvo in the sun. Quite enjoyed it , thanks Pumpy.

Lagers

Thanks Lagers ,you and Matti have an excellent ability to describe & critique flavours in a beer, something that does not come easily to me .

I must say it reads like quote from Shakespeare to me ;)

The flavours it displayed were I believe were to style ,However I find some styles of beer, are definately an 'aquired taste' and take a bit of getting used to .

Pumpy :)

The flavours it displayed were I believe were to style ,However I find some styles of beer, are definately an 'aquired taste' and take a bit of getting used to .

I agree it was to style even though to me it also seemed to lack the banana & bubblegum flavours.
That's why i don't particularly like these beers or Belgiuns, it's those phenols & esters that turn me off. It doesn't mean it's bad or i think it's rubbish i can appreciate the complexities in flavour and effort in brewing them, but hey each to their own a good clean lager or ale for me anytime.

Lagers

Yes Lagers I am coming around to brewing more beers wth 95% pilsner malt in them . my last two beers the Maibock and the Coopers Pale Ale Clone and I just love them .

I still like the Belgian Golden Ale yeast and its Phenolic characteristics it offers to the beer .its all about personal taste .

Number 13 - Beer Slayer's Irish Red.

Great beer Beerslayer, went down very nicely and could easily have polished off a few more long necks. Not much experience with the style so don't have any useful comments. Also not sure how long ago it was bottled it, but its properly carb now everyone.

Thanks Beerslayer, it was really nice.

Number 2 - Homebrewworld's Irish Red??

Had this one the following night (last night) it was also enjoyable. A bit sweeter than #13 and a bit lower carbed (not sure if I opened it too early) but also very nice beer that went down easily. Almost identical appearance as Beerslayer's beer, both looked very sexy (the beer that is :ph34r: ).

Thanks for the beer Homebrewworld, David.

No 13 Beerslayers Irish Ale

Showed good carbonation by pouring with a good dense 1/2" head which dissapeared after a few minutes. Colour is reddish brown and clear but not sparkly clear. The palate was hoppy with a slight sweetness and medium body. I loved the hoppy flavour & body but found it a little overly sweet. Cleanly made with no bad flavours. Nice beer to drink even if is is too sweet for me...........I know, i keep going on about it. :D

Lagers

Thanks Guys
It was my first attempt at this style. I thought it turned out quite nice, However I agree with your comments it
does seem a little sweet. I haven't tasted a lot of beers of this style myself.
I haven't posted many comments on your beers guys but!! I've got to be honest they have all been great. They are all well made
and I would have liked a couple of each because just as i finished one bottle I was looking for another.

Great Job!! can't wait for the next swap

Cheers
BS

Beerslayer

Just downing your Irish red.

Poored with a two finger dense head but dissipates to a persistent pearl around edge in 5 minutes

Sweet aroma almost phenolic but not in a bad way.
Almost fruity

Appear Clear and dark ruby. (very appetising)

Medium carbonation and no carbonic bite. (I have kept it at 18 degrees for 4 weeks and at 10 or lower since)

Strong, sweet and alcoholic number with velvet middle and grainy finnish.

I had a look at the BJPC guidelines and I think you have came close.
Yet to taste one in direct comparison.
drinking the second glass now and getting tipsy

Thanks matti
it was my real first attempt at an Irish Red
I think i got close. I will brew tis one again
Cheers
BS

Linz Belgian Golden Ale.

Well it is Belgian golden ale for sure. Yet to fully appreciate Belgian Beer.
It poured with a nice fluffy head and reeked of a peppery phenolic concoction.
Looks the goods but not my style. I drank it last week and still trying to formulate a revue and failed.
Good effort though.
Hopefully one day I will appreciate these beers better and be able to pinprick them better.

Homebrewworlds beer
I am an uneducated beer buffoon and cannot put it to style.
It poored with 3/4 inch thick dense head that stays as a 2 mm head through out.

Slight smell of plum with grains.

Crystal clear copper tones. absolutely no chill haze.

Taste a bit earthy that the pallet get quickly used to. Finnishes on a slight dry note.
A slight stale after taste remains.
Hard to pick but its there.

Overall a beer I would prefer to drink slight chillier then I served it at(8C).
I'd call it a Funky RED ale for now B)
matti

#7 Belgian Strong Ale.

Very enjoyable beer with a very similar flavour profile to the blue Chimay I had two days before. A well made beer that was very much to style, good beer Linz.

Well thats me done with the case swap beers boys, thanks everyone for the large variety of well made beers, see you all soon.

Dave.

Hi All, just tasted No 10 MCT Smoked Ale

Good carbonation with a slightly off white head, probably a smokey colour :) . It's a brown ale that shows as reddish with a backlight and it also has chill haze but i can live with that.
The aroma is lightly smokey with a hint of black olives as well, quite appealing. The first mouthful reminds me of double smoked bacon or better still smoked cheese. Malt is obviously non evident as is hops or bitterness but is a balanced beer. Not excessively smokey but you know what it is you're drinking.
The wife actually gave it an " oohh that's nice, I like it ".
A nice beer, well made & it's good to be able to try a smoked ale at last.

Well done MCT

Back