Male Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wals is a gusher allright took me ages to pour.
Sipping on Bongchitis contribution.

Aroma: very mild fruitiness almost dissipating immediately.

Appearance: Slightest chill haze- Good head but pour head retention.

Flavour: First impression a bit of apple then a slight contamination but not over powering.

Overall a nice K+K quaffer that need a better yeast and little more care.

ps I don't mind his dark ale at home though. ;)

I sent my self to bed last night with a
Franko's Amarillo ale.

Verdict. "slick"

Well done! I cannot take points off you.

Aroma: Moderate yellow grape fruit.

Appearance: Clear with a moderate head. Absolutely no chill haze!

Taste: Crispy clean ale with the citrus/grape and a clean finnish no aftertaste.

Overall a very clean brew. Very marketable drop but not for your average beer drinker.

Perhaps the spritZ of beer.

A very nice summer quencher which would convert any megaswill drinker that enjoy the Amarillo style beer.
:D

3 in a row.
Ok I live here. B)

#6 weizen

She is quite nice Oldbugman.
I am not a fan of wheat beer and drink them seldom and slowly, for the experience of it solely :p

The sauerkraut/phenolic/sour is prevalent but not as strong as expected in the wheat-beers I've tried thus far.
It is a quite nice little number.

Good head
and well done
Matti

I sent my self to bed last night with a
Franko's Amarillo ale.

Verdict. "slick"

Well done! I cannot take points off you.

Aroma: Moderate yellow grape fruit.

Appearance: Clear with a moderate head. Absolutely no chill haze!

Taste: Crispy clean ale with the citrus/grape and a clean finnish no aftertaste.

Overall a very clean brew. Very marketable drop but not for your average beer drinker.

Perhaps the spritZ of beer.

A very nice summer quencher which would convert any megaswill drinker that enjoy the Amarillo style beer.
:D

Thanks Matti,

sometimes its hard to tell people that its only a kit and kilo beer with some little additives added

Glad to see you enjoyed it

Franko

Thanks Matti,

sometimes its hard to tell people that its only a kit and kilo beer with some little additives added

Glad to see you enjoyed it

Franko

I just drank it too Franko very nice amazing how it has smoothed out and very distictive Amarillo hop flavour

Made with your special trick with the dry hops .works a treat

Pumpy :)

Matti's effort has been my pick of the Amarillo squad so far. Has the biggest hit of aroma and flavour and real nice mouth feel.

Linz' porter was popular last night with the visitors, I couldn't steal enough away for myself :(

I didn't have any over carb probs with Wal's Summer Ale, admitedly it was highly carbed but that helped with the really dry finish which I take to be part of the Summer ale style. Went alright by me.

Don't have many left try now, starting to wonder where they all went :rolleyes:

Cheers Jimi.

A bit hazy, but once you get over the hit of Amarillo, even my lady enjoys it.
Unfortunately my longnecks of same version taste a bit weird.
Maybe I didn't rinse them out completely.
Ah well... I still got a few of the case to go through on weekend.

I Just finished my steak and poured myself a Jimi's American wheat with tetnanger #14.

I'll attempt to be non biased since he gave my beer the thumbs up :ph34r:

Appearance: Good head!. hazy... A head that held a thin layer to last drop.

Aroma: Slight fruity with a hint a Nashi but sweater? Cannot quite pick it.

Flavor: full flavour with the fruitiness and the Tettnang working in a tandem with a earthy finnish.

Mouth feel: Full and a great carbonation.

Overall: Quite a strong little number.
A really nice beer which I could drink more of. The finish a little bit too earthy for me. I wonder what this one would taste filtered.
Great effort though and I'll drink you brew any day. :beer:

Whilst I am no expert I would like to say that I enjoyed them all very much from an experience/style point of view.... Linz' porter was very different to anything I have had before and to be honest, wasn't quite ready for it in terms of burnt/coffee notes. Yes yes I know it was a mocha porter but I was a virgin!

Matti's beer wins the wooden spoon hands down...what a crap effort mate!!!!! :icon_vomit: .........Hahahaha just jokes, the Ammarillo Ales have shown me how far you can take hopping as I have been on the conservative side to date as you could tell from my newly named "Nowhere near APA".

My favourite though was Kabooby's Belgian Dubbel....Fantastic! ...Another style I know little about but was blown away (in more ways than 1 ie 7.6%).

Jeez I have a long way to come!!! Thanks for the opportunity everyone and hopefully get to meet you all at the next case swap.

Cheers........Bong

Pumpy's Irish Red

One of my favourite styles and a great made beer , full of malty goodness and well balanced.
The only problem there wasnt enough carbonation in the bottle-reminisent of English hand pumped ale.

Hogan's Brown Ale

Great beer lovely taste there Hoges only problem was lack of carbonation in the bottle.

Dido Franko

Great beers from Pumps and Hogan but where is the fizz?

#4 taste a bit like a plum. nice and sweat with clean finnish

#5 Touch of vegemite (almost a porter) I like the lingering sweetness in this one

cheers

Had Matti's Amarillo bomb tonight and enjoyed it. Poured with a good head that lasted to the bottom of the glass. Amarilo was good on the nose and flavour was great. This beer would be a great American IPA. I think these beers are hard to get the balance between big flavour and aroma and to keep a lid on the bitterness.
Great beer and would have had more if there was some.

Gee those plastic coopers bottles dont go far ;)

Kabooby :)

Whilst I am no expert I would like to say that I enjoyed them all very much from an experience/style point of view.... Linz' porter was very different to anything I have had before and to be honest, wasn't quite ready for it in terms of burnt/coffee notes. Yes yes I know it was a mocha porter but I was a virgin!

Cheers........Bong

I suppose I should warn those who have not drunk it yet....Let it warm a little; and dont drink it frozen(AKA Aussie cold beer)

Yohoo, it is you alcoholic friend here.

Sipping on Linz's Moccha porter.

Appearance: I poured it @ 10 degrees. Big creamy head that is holding well.
Colour is black as mud.

Aroma: Smells malty but less then expected.

Flavour: This one is a nice dryish porter with a roasted malt flavor, with that slightly burned Moccha finish.

Mouthfeel: Adequate carbonation with a medium body.

Overall: A nice introduction to Porter that will get better with age.

Nice beer Linz

(I would attempt a slighty creamier version with more flavour)
But that is just me

Over and out for now

matti

Homerkemps Australian Porter.

Appearance: Big head and black as the night.

Aroma: Fruity and musky.

Flavour: Roasted /smoked with a hint of fruitiness with a slight bitterness to round it off.

Mouth-feel: Full and creamy with superb carbonation.

Overall: A sweet and rich creamy Porter with a slight bitterness finnish.

I luv this one cause I am a fan of Toheys Old.
I have always though that the "OLD" to be slighty too fruity and this one just right on that note.

Well done.
:)

Homerkemps Australian Porter.

Appearance: Big head and black as the night.

Aroma: Fruity and musky.

Flavour: Roasted /smoked with a hint of fruitiness with a slight bitterness to round it off.

Mouth-feel: Full and creamy with superb carbonation.

Overall: A sweet and rich creamy Porter with a slight bitterness finnish.

I luv this one cause I am a fan of Toheys Old.
I have always though that the "OLD" to be slighty too fruity and this one just right on that note.

Well done.
:)

Wow, Thanks for the great review Matti, I was starting to think it was rubbish as no-one had mentioned it at all :lol:

I am saving the swap case until Xmas when my brother is around, so I won't have any feedback until then, I might have to put a lock on the fridge to last that long though B) Is there any of these beers that I shouldn't store in the fridge till XMas?

Cheers
HomerKemp

Having a lunch break from house-work. hehehe
It's perfect as I am close to my HB and having an Ale as refreshment.

After a brief moment of weakness I completely lost momentum of whatever I was meant to do.
The beer was pouring in to the glass and it just happen to be Ham2K contribution of the male Case swap.

Appearance: Nice head that is lasting and bright straw colored with a slight haze. (contributed by 20% wheat)

Aroma: A slight fruitiness with the Amarillo coming through.

Flavour: A ever so slight phenolic pale ale with a note of Amarillo as a finish.

Mouthfeel: Rather full for a pale ale and nice carbonation.

Overall: It is a rather pale APA with full body and I cannot put in a category because I am an uneducated boof head :eek: .

I liked it Cam. It has an Australian touch to it and it is a great thirst quencher.
Only problem, there is no more.

Ah, well,,, x-mas is near and there be plenty of my Latest lager just ready to drink by then.

Well I drank the entire case now and only two mouthfulls left of Ham2K drop.

I'd Like to thank Kabooby for initiating the whole swap and every one jumping on and contributing to this event.
It has been an absolute pleasure in drinking your beers and will make attempts in being a more active male member providing the gods/ TWMBO agrees. T stand for "Those" :D

Hey Cam, if I hadn't known it had 20% wheat I would have though your ale was really gummy flavoured. hehehe :ph34r:

Mell and I have had 3 of the beers so far....

and we're using the 'Pumpy' method of evaluation....fill a glass and just drink!!

Wals, ham2ks and Frankos...So far Frankos on top..but it appears we may not have got to the pick of this crop yet.

Well, I have finished off the MALE case and I must say that on reflection it is the best tasting case I have tried. Congratulations to all those who made the effort to participate and I am sure that the opinions expressed by your fellow brewers are viewed by you as constructive.

Cheers, Hoges.

1. Kabooby - Belgian Dubbel 7.6% (WLP550)

A very tasty, gutsy, full bodied beer. Malty but well balanced against the hop flavour. Great colour with medium carbonation that produced a shallow head but maintained its lace to the bottom of the glass. A delicious strong Belgian ale. Well done Grant.

2. Matti - Amarillo Bomb.

Great fluffy compact head that remained right to the bottom of the glass. Colour was fine but chill haze was evident. Strong hoppy taste which on the first mouthfull was a little over the top but this is an amarillo bomb and some dynamite was expected. After that the mouth feel smoothed out, amarillo coupled with cascade was great. A decidedly hoppy and bitter, moderately strong American pale ale. Of the number of Amarillo based beers in this case Mattis is up there with the best. Yum.

3. Linz - Mocha Porter

Great colour and aroma, rich creamy off white head and good carbonation. Taste was a little on the burnt side i.e the mocha I would imagine, a little too much dark choc for my taste but heavy porters and stouts are not my norm. Those that are inclined towards that style would no doubt have enjoyed it more.

4. Pumpy - Irish Red

Both Pumpy and I now know that if you are going to enter your beer in a case then dont prime it with a carbonation cap, which will not last a week before going flat. I have tasted Pumpys Irish Red from the keg and can say that it is an excellent drop. Like my contribution, in the bottle (this time) it falls short due to loss of carbonation.

6. OldBugman Weizen

A true to style representation of Hefe (tell them its a Hefe) Weizen. Highly carbed, clouded appearance, fluffy head. Medium body, low hop flavour. Fruity esters with clove flavour, could not find that hint of banana. Very refreshing. Excellent beer OldBugman even though Im not a weizen fan.

7. HomerKemp - Australian Old Porter

Great colour, beautiful creamy head which lasts through medium carbonation. Rich dry mouth feel but for my taste a bit too much roast barley and that noticeable zing in the back of the throat. That was at the top of the glass and by the end of my second the temp of the beer had risen and as the palate mellowed somewhat it became more enjoyable. If there was additional steeping of this wort with roast grain then you could consider reducing this a bit and leaving it longer in the bottle/keg should round off the roasted taste. A really nice winter warmer.

8. Franko - Amarillo Ale

Great Amarillo aroma and flavour. Highly carbed but I like mine so. Much haze therein. I want to see that Red Rocket Brewery in action Franko and then well be the recipients of some really special beers.

9. Ham2k - Golden Amarillo NFI Ale

Some rather stiff competition in the Amarillo class Cam but yours is up there with the best. Well carbed but not so furious as to disintegrate the tight head. Good lace retention. Good golden colour and clarity probably the clearest of all the amarillos. Nice hop aroma and taste, great mouth feel as was the balance of malt to hops. Bittering was right on the mark for those who dont want it as severe as Mattis. I liked it a lot. Yum again.

11. Wal - Summer Ale.

Did not explode mine was not over-carbonated. Spikey taste. Not a beer that excited my taste buds but its early days Wal.

12. Bongchitis - Cascade/Amarillo APA

Poured well, good head to start with, nice hop aroma, rather over-carbonated, worked heavily all the way to the bottom of the glass which had the effect of destroying the head very early. A back of the throat tang that detracted from the mouth feel. Very little sediment in the bottom but some haze which indicated conditioning but not filtering. Could be improved with longer maturing which would round off the hop flavour. This appears to be a kit brew with additions. It has good potential.

14. Jimi - American Wheat with tetnanger

Good head, good body, clean taste, liked the hop flavour. Easy drinking.

Fianlly got into them tonight.

started out with kaboodys belgian. Went down quite well.

Strong belgian flavours, bubblegums and warming alchohols. thin lasting head.

Everything you'd expect from a Belgian Dubbel

Pumpy,

with much excitement I selected your bottle from the fridge, on grasping it in my hand I thought I had gotten a little 'too excited' and the feeling of grabbing a soft bottle was realised and resulted in flat beer. which really couldnt be enjoyed.

After hearing soo much about the irish red I was left feeling a little bit jipped.

You'll definatly have to get me to come round and try it right from the source.

Latest posts

Back