Making up an IPA recipe, any comments/issues?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barge said:
It's all about balance. Yes they're hop forward but the best examples are balanced with a decent malt backbone.

I wouldn't use wheat personally but I like munich as it will add another dimension without necessarily detracting from the hops.

I understand that there's probably some single malt examples that taste good but I would opt for some malt complexity.

Maybe 85% pale malt, 10% munich, 5% crystal.
This.
My suggestions were basically about building a little malt complexity, but not focusing too heavily on them. An heavily hopped IPA is best with a malt backbone to balance the IBUs and hops flavours, IMHO.

Hence, the vast majority of the grist is a single Ale malt, plus a little of something else, say Munich (OR Amber/biscuit if Munich wasn't available), and maybe a handful of wheat. You could easily swap the handful of wheat for a handful of Crystal, if that's your bag.
May or may not be a west coast or east coast IPA, I only know I've tried quite a few done like this and it works. For me, I'm generally a fan of Crystal, but not really in IPAs.

I thought you'd have to sit down with that previous post, mants. Totes Amazeballs, hey?!
[emoji4]

^ ^ I do agree that using Munich can work, if your not using any crystal but that for me its the only time.

My IPA's became much better when I stopped using munich in a West Coast style of beer, be it an IPA or Pale Ale, its just not needed. However for an English or East coast, it would not be done without it.

We've reached a position of consensus through robust discussion and clarification.

Simple grist, loads of late hops.

manticle said:
We've reached a position of consensus through robust discussion and clarification.

Simple grist, loads of late hops.
if only 'loads' was some form of metric measurement unit :)

How confident are you with 6kg of malt in the bigW pot?

I mashed 5.6 last week and it was brimming.... I have set that mentally as my grain limit, as monitoring for overflow was a pain.

Despite advice to the contrary, I would leave the table sugar in there. Having 5% sugar helps dry out IPA's. Such that after a month or two in the keg when the hops start to fade, it doesn't end up sweet and cloyey.

But mashing a full sized batch of IPA in a 19L pot sounds about as practical as cooking a live lobster in a microwave. I haven't been around much on AHB lately, is this what we've regressed to?

Matplat said:
How confident are you with 6kg of malt in the bigW pot?

I mashed 5.6 last week and it was brimming.... I have set that mentally as my grain limit, as monitoring for overflow was a pain.
might have to round my grain bill down then.
Ive done a couple of ~5kg with spare space and noted someone on here had posted about 6kg being their limit...

Yeah I think it would physically fit, but no head space for a bit of sloshing when you're doughing in and if you stir the mash occasionally (as I do)... but I haven't actually attempted it myself so I can't say for sure....

After i drained my (5.6kg) mash and it had settled down, there was probably 40-50mm between the top of the pot and the grain bed, from memory...

Matplat said:
After i drained my (5.6kg) mash and it had settled down, there was probably 40-50mm between the top of the pot and the grain bed, from memory...
Thanks
Going to shift the recipe a bit to drop the grain bill a bit.. (found a similar recipe over on beeradvocate that was made based on forum votes so going to shift the recipe in the direction of opinions here and that recipe)

Back