Making two 1L starters?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat007

Reaction score
Hey all

I've just made a 1L starter with 1 pack of dry S-04.

Could I get the yeast slurry from this starter, and add it to another 1L of DME/water mix?

Or do I need to make the starter bigger, i.e. 2L?

Cheers
Hunt

Yeast starters generally aren't made with dry yeast. What is you goal here? Are you pitching into a large batch?

You could take a small portion of the first yeast slurry and grow it in a second starter to get some growth.
You're not going to get much growth with a 1 L starter and a dry yeast pack.

Have a look at yeastcalc.com and plug in your numbers.

Just split it into 2x 1ltr starters. Bit there should be enough for 2x 2ltr starters

treefiddy said:
Yeast starters generally aren't made with dry yeast. What is you goal here? Are you pitching into a large batch?

You could take a small portion of the first yeast slurry and grow it in a second starter to get some growth.
You're not going to get much growth with a 1 L starter and a dry yeast pack.

Have a look at yeastcalc.com and plug in your numbers.
I'm making a 50L batch of a dark mild with an OG of 1.031. Thought I'd give it a go with 1 dry pack added to a starter. According to beersmith I need 290billion yeast cells and from what I've read an 11.5G of dry yeast has around 110B cells?

How old is the starter?

If it's fresh today, and you only have 1 L containers I'd be inclined to give it a good mix and pour 500 ml into the other container and top them both up to 1 L with wort.

If you put too much yeast into a small amount of wort they wont grow. A dry pack should have 200-220 billion cells.

treefiddy said:
How old is the starter?

If it's fresh today, and you only have 1 L containers I'd be inclined to give it a good mix and pour 500 ml into the other container and top them both up to 1 L with wort.

If you put too much yeast into a small amount of wort they wont grow. A dry pack should have 200-220 billion cells.
I made the starter about 18 hours ago and it's looking like there's a crap load of yeast in the bottom of the flask.

Being a low gravity beer I was just hoping that one dry pack that I made a start with would be enough for a 50L batch.

Hunt said:
I made the starter about 18 hours ago and it's looking like there's a crap load of yeast in the bottom of the flask.

Being a low gravity beer I was just hoping that one dry pack that I made a start with would be enough for a 50L batch.
Oh well, not a huge problem anyway. I wouldn't worry about the second starter, it'll be fine IMO.

Latest posts

Back