Making Sourdough Bread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When are you coming over to show me the ropes? Swap beer for knowledge. You know me, I love to make good food to go with the beer.Sour dough sounds right up my ally.I like that it can be used as a pizza base as well.God we have to get together and organise a food and beer dinner party. :party: Bugger it , lets just open a brew pub on my deck.
GB

Yeah his a clever fellow... Im up for both suggestions, but lets start with the dinner party. Lets go vegetarian?

When are you coming over to show me the ropes? Swap beer for knowledge. You know me, I love to make good food to go with the beer.Sour dough sounds right up my ally.I like that it can be used as a pizza base as well.God we have to get together and organise a food and beer dinner party. :party: Bugger it , lets just open a brew pub on my deck.
GB
It's a date darlin!

It's a date darlin!
Wait till I get back from Tassie (17 July) and we will get it together.That will give you time to get a sour dough slushy together.I should have another Best Bitter ready to go as well.Any menu ideas ?Vege of course. I could make my bread topping for the SD. :icon_cheers:
GB

Wait till I get back from Tassie (17 July) and we will get it together.That will give you time to get a sour dough slushy together.I should have another Best Bitter ready to go as well.Any menu ideas ?Vege of course. I could make my bread topping for the SD. :icon_cheers:
GB
Ok Katie will make a Hot and sour eggplant curry. If we can get some sort of tile or brick in your oven we could have a loaf ready to bake, and maybe some sourdough pizza bianca (herb and oil flat bread). I'll organise some ready to go and we can get one going for you to bake over the next couple of days (SD prooves pretty slowly which makes it even better). Can we brew aswell? :icon_vomit:

Made my first successful sourdough a few weeks ago. Now, for a bloke who started working life as a baker making sourdough should come easy right? Ah ahh, nope it goes against all one learnt about conventional baking. Even had some personal coaching from a pro from a commercial sourdough bakery, he wasn't a baker, but had learn't the process working in the bakery so his tips were sort of "you do this and do this like that, you see". No good for me, I wanted to understand the process not just be shown how, that only works so long as there are no variants, I wanted to know why, my training would allow me to take it in if explained in the correct terms. Once I had gleaned info from sites listed previously in this thread the process of gluten development required for sourdough fell into place for me. Made two great loaves which took us 2 weeks to get through. Kept wrapped in a teatowl it was fresh to the last slice. Really pleased with my efforts, will taks my starter out of the fridge tomorrow and get ready for batch# 2, looking forward to it.

Screwy

Ok Katie will make a Hot and sour eggplant curry. If we can get some sort of tile or brick in your oven we could have a loaf ready to bake, and maybe some sourdough pizza bianca (herb and oil flat bread). I'll organise some ready to go and we can get one going for you to bake over the next couple of days (SD prooves pretty slowly which makes it even better). Can we brew aswell? :icon_vomit:
The oven is 900mm wide fan forced etc.I have some Bali stone tiles , I think its like sandstone, they are about 25mm thick.I dont know how they will handle the heat? Explosion!!!! I might grab a few and give them a go.If you dont hear back from me you know its not good.I can make a" mushroom meat" rogan josh. :icon_drool2:pizza sounds good too. If you want to bring some beers we can match beer to the food.Did I hear you say Curry and IPA and that you will make the IPA?
GB

The oven is 900mm wide fan forced etc.I have some Bali stone tiles , I think its like sandstone, they are about 25mm thick.I dont know how they will handle the heat? Explosion!!!! I might grab a few and give them a go.If you dont hear back from me you know its not good.I can make a" mushroom meat" rogan josh. :icon_drool2:pizza sounds good too. If you want to bring some beers we can match beer to the food.Did I hear you say Curry and IPA and that you will make the IPA?
GB
Bugger me, you did... I didn't think I thought it THAT loudly.....

Maybe we could make a Indian style flat bread, with nuts and fruit in it.... mmmmm Kashmiri Nan!

Im hungry again.

I am just heating up the tiles now, 150C and no explosions so it all looks good.I going to do a trial Focaccia, Tomatoes . red capsicum and herb topping.Sorry you are at work Katie otherwise you could have some and a beer.Lloydie stop thinking so loud!So its a English IPA you are thinking about? YUMMY.
GB

I am just heating up the tiles now, 150C and no explosions so it all looks good.I going to do a trial Focaccia, Tomatoes . red capsicum and herb topping.Sorry you are at work Katie otherwise you could have some and a beer.Lloydie stop thinking so loud!So its a English IPA you are thinking about? YUMMY.
GB
200 C and the oven is one piece !
GB

200 C and the oven is one piece !
GB

Brilliant!
GB
I'm a wanker wherethis is concerned. A true IPA can be nothing else. It was only the ENGLISH who had to send their beer to India.

Maybe we could make a Indian style flat bread, with nuts and fruit in it.... mmmmm Kashmiri Nan!

Im hungry again.

Oh my god darlin I didn't think of that! Hell yes! Sourdough Kashmiri on Nev's super tiles.... Hope those tiles are rated for food at that temp GB..... :eek:

Oh my god darlin I didn't think of that! Hell yes! Sourdough Kashmiri on Nev's super tiles.... Hope those tiles are rated for food at that temp GB..... :eek:
Made by the big man himself "GOD". How hot is the centre of the earth?, heat rating, "F..''ing Hell hot".Mate they work a treat ,Im going to sell them on Ebay as "Gods own oven loven tiles".I only have about 300 of them so get in quick!!!! If you are nice I will give you a couple. PP will want to post a thread on these as soon as he finds out they came wrapped in nylon bands in suspect Indonesian cardboard. :lol:
GB

I'm a wanker wherethis is concerned. A true IPA can be nothing else. It was only the ENGLISH who had to send their beer to India

Yeah but what year was that???? So are you sending all your/our IPA's to India... ? If so can PP and GB row while we drink it?

When can I squeeze my atrocious American Hopburst into our brewing schedule?

oh back to bread......

mmmmmmm kashmiri nan! oh stuff it lets row to India!

Brilliant!

I'm a wanker wherethis is concerned. A true IPA can be nothing else. It was only the ENGLISH who had to send their beer to India.
Thats the point Its an 'English IPA' made for India.PP and I will row the boat but you have to navigate in your panties.
Captain gay nickers :lol:
GB

Captain Gay Knickers here. I'm a good navigater and buggered if I"D row the boat. I'll be drinking my ENGLISH f'ck'n IPA twirling me missus' undies..

Latest posts

Back