Making mead

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkhlt1210

Reaction score
G'day guys I'm looking for some info on brewing mead. Something nice and simple to start with would be good. Been doing kits for a while now looking to step up to extract. But I want to make a mead. Hope you got some ideas

Haha thankyou very much for your charity!! Much appreciated!

If you are the podcast-listening type, there's some decent information in some of the older BasicBrewing podcasts.

Probably read this too: http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?Itemid=14&id=108&option=com_content&task=blogcategory
It's a really good level of detail for the beginner.

I've only done 1 split batch which I pitched in the middle of last year. A 'short' strawberry mead (8%) that turned out pretty tasty; the JAO which was linked above and was not too shabby either; and a traditional dry mead, which has a real mustiness to it which I'm hoping will mellow out.

I used US-05 with all of them because I was too lazy/cheap to get a wine yeast. I've read reports of it turning out good results, but I'll get a proper wine yeast next time.

Or you could give my NAA thread a read, that's as simple as JAO, but a little different.

Treat it more like a wine than a beer. Honey is lacking nutrients suited to healthy yeast.

Whip it good, use a decent wine nutrient like he wyeast wine one at pitching and then feed it at about day 4 again.

When it comes to honey, if you're looking for flavour, don't pasteurise.

If doing a melomel with fruit, use sulphite and treat it like a wine.

There's some good info out on the wider web on these topics. Find a reliable one and use it to good effect. I think it's morebeer does a good starters guide to meads.

Play and enjoy.

Martin

Another resource is www.basicbrewing.com go through their video archive. Those guys love their mead and have done a lot of experiments with some nice outcomes in there.

or check out Ken Schramns The Complete MeadMaker.

has everything you need to know and recipes

Latest posts

Back