Mad Monk - Fremantle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
;)

At least you've got internet acess of some description

Loft is pretty cool. Not a bad bottled beer selection. Nice fresh Landlord.

well I am definitely going there for lunch tomorrow with aspro so I'll give you all a proper critique afterwards :)

I agree... when your at a pub you want pub grub... still gets me when a pub charges $20.00 for a burger. Apparently the food is good at the Monk though! At least if the Monk is no good its not far to walk to the Sail And Anchor! The food is over priced there aswell...

Remember to ask "where did ths craftbrewed beer come from"

Dont think the 6HL DME has been commisioned yet

Hijack - Think I may have stunbled onto a Micro in Manila last night. Was set up by Pivo Praha (Czech) Dont know anything else just saw a flyer in a window about it. Havent tried the beer either. The search will continue tonight after work...

The Loft?
Wow, I thought that place shut down over a decade ago!
Shows how often I get out huh? :rolleyes:

Yeah Creatures is expanding. A while back there was rumour of opening something in (i think) Jarrahdale. Then they bought the land next door which was a night club(Zanzibar?). Last I saw they were demolishing, but that was months ago.

Im pretty sure the craftbeer at the is going to be Gage Roads... Could be wrong but for some reason that is ringing a bell.

As for Little Creatures, they have floated now (stock market). Service has changed etc... but still a great beer. And looking forward to the renovations out the back. As for the Loft not in a hurry!

The Loft?

It's not The Loft that you're thinking of :) I think thats now called the "Big Apple".

It's the old upstairs storage area at Little Creatures...

Im pretty sure the craftbeer at the is going to be Gage Roads... Could be wrong but for some reason that is ringing a bell.

yep - do you think the monk will tell joe the public that though?

Now, I'm not saying GR cant make fantastic beer, and the recipies have been designed by Richard who is privvy to such greats as PILS & SEVEN SEAS from his dayd brewing there...

I'm an optimist

Asher

I agree... when your at a pub you want pub grub... still gets me when a pub charges $20.00 for a burger. Apparently the food is good at the Monk though! At least if the Monk is no good its not far to walk to the Sail And Anchor! The food is over priced there aswell...
From what I've heard, it was always intended to be a restaurant, rather than a brewpub. I didn't know that until after I visited. Bit of a shame really, but I'm sure it will attract a crowd.

The Loft?

Yeah Creatures is expanding. A while back there was rumour of opening something in (i think) Jarrahdale. Then they bought the land next door which was a night club(Zanzibar?). Last I saw they were demolishing, but that was months ago.
The Zanzibar closed years ago, they reopened it as Harbourside, and then that closed. The demolished part is still vacant, but they've turned the other half into The Loft.

Not sure about it being an old storage area. Doesn't look like one.

Just to explain a couple of things folks.
1. We now have an alfresco drinking only area in our resteraunt. We are a resteraunt of sorts I guess but in actuality we are a Brasserie as in an eating house attatched to a brewery. This has many upsides and a few downsides but overall it is a civilised place for a brew and chew.

2. I do contract brew with Gage Roads this is to focus on using a 6hL brewery for bigger and less mainstream styles they produce my two recipies one is a tame yet quaffable pale/bitter the other a session ale based around a few styles such as Kolsh/Summer Ale. There are plenty more to come it is just I am embroiled in a lengthy tap dance with the ATO hence the delay in firing up Betsy Brew House.

3. I won't brew recognised beer styles as such as I am a free form brewer. Why can't Australian brewers brew beers for Australian tastes. Just because it's from the UK or the States dosn't make it better. I will design beers though that will shake the current scene. As in if I have one more imitation LC produced badly by some brewer trying to hide mistakes by overloading the brew with Cascade for a cheap thrill I may just have to go on a rampage. By the way to those who brew awesome Cascade driven beers i mean no disrespect .

4. My email address is [email protected] please contact me direct for anything or if you have had problems with us. We are an open minded and progressive organisation and we value your feedback good or bad.

Please be patient we are new to Fremantle and still working our way through a lot of red tape blocks put in place by government both local, state and federal by small minded people who wish to see us fail. Eg. approvals for signs/shade trees.

By the way I love the site and if any of you want to pop down on Friday afternoons for beers and laughs lmk

Cheers and upside down beers
Richard B Moroney

Thanks for the contribution Richard - its great to hear it from the brewer, good luck with it. The addition of those more interesting beers to come out early 2008 will be a welcome addition to the WA scene.

I can feel an AHB / Mad Monk's session coming on....

I myself am a amateur brewer and a little scared that Beer Guy is also a amateur brewer for the Mad Monk. Maybe I should have a cover charge for when my friends come around to my place for a beer.

I myself am a amateur brewer and a little scared that Beer Guy is also a amateur brewer for the Mad Monk. Maybe I should have a cover charge for when my friends come around to my place for a beer.

:D haha...took me a while to get that one but it is a friday arvo hey!

perhaps he's been busy building his empire to surf the web?

By the way to those who brew awesome Cascade driven beers i mean no disrespect .

glad u found the edit button mate. i noticed you use cascade hops in your cooking so it can't be all bad right?

Rob.

Beerguy is definitely not an amateur, with a healthy commercial track record to prove it.
I hope RM sorts out the problems and listens to the critics, more choice for the consumer is a good thing and can only lift the overall standard by healthy competition.

Vlad said:
Beerguy is definitely not an amateur, with a healthy commercial track record to prove it.
Might be wrong, but I think Katie was just poking fun at the AHB rating thingy (under our avatars)

Richard said:
By the way I love the site and if any of you want to pop down on Friday afternoons for beers and laughs lmk
Goat said:
I can feel an AHB / Mad Monk's session coming on....

Was thinking same. Would like to sit, sip and watch on a brewday.

Blah, blah, blah etc
Cheers and upside down beers
Richard B Moroney
Your damned if you do or damed if you don't. Give the brewery a run for a few months then past judgement I say. No one has even tasted Richards latest drop as far as I can read! Yep ,the website seems a bit iffy(Read Wanky) and the food menu seems a bit high brow but let the beer flow before passing judgement. LC has an iffy website and hosts exxy functions with no 'included beers' but no one gets ancy about them? No point gettin stuck into the new kid on the block(Top band....not) let em have a run... I will let my palate decide before making a deciding/definitive post.......
beers n stuff
Chilla

Latest posts

Back