Mad Monk - Fremantle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mad Monk brewery-kitchen in Fremantle has at last gained a permit so
customers can now be served a drink without a meal, indoors and on the
terrace. The brewer's line-up: Epic English-style bitter, Aus pale ale, Rogue
kolsch, Freja Belgian ale, Stone German-style smoked beer, Centurion porter
and Samudra India pale ale.

- Vic Crossland, FRESH, The West Australian 22/01/09

Been meaning to post for this for a while. Was down in Freo on 27th of March, was told then that I could only get beer with a meal. I walked off on the waitress whilst she turned to reach for the menu.

Been meaning to post for this for a while. Was down in Freo on 27th of March, was told then that I could only get beer with a meal. I walked off on the waitress whilst she turned to reach for the menu.

Strange - I was ther last week of Feb and had no problem getting a beer or three without a meal - well I did have a littlle problem and that is the very very very average service and long wait time for one beer?!??!!! I waited about 15 minutes or so for a beer while I watched the waitress who took my order and the barman have a chat and a flirt and look like they were trying to keep busy without actually doing anything or serving anyone. Mind you there were about 11 people in the place not including me so they were run off their feet :blink:

They've always had a section of the restaurant (front outdoor corner) reserved for drinkers only, though the number of drinking only patrols they are allowed is dictated by their overall customers (usually 10% i think?), so if the place is full, the drinking area can be too. I haven't heard of a change to their license and would think it's more likely that Vic got a lil bit mixed up, but will ask the boss next time I see him!

Still on my list of must visit breweries although im rather apprehensive.At the end of the day if its lacking then i will either go to Clancys or Little Creatures.Not forgeting the Sail and Anchor of course.

Cheers
Big D

I still have not being there but drive by quite often always people there!

I read somewhere that the brewery is going great guns and they are about to put in two new fermenters to cope with demand. I thing that is great news for Freo and beer lovers - I hope the service is being upgraded also then this could be the kick arse place to be!

I've always thought they were pretty good without being outstanding. Enjoyed their australian pale ale, and english pale ale. the rauch and kolsch could do with a bit of work. Gets a tick for not selling macro beers along with theirs.

Latest posts

Back