Mad Monk - Fremantle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much were they expecting to make in two weeks of trading? To quote Matt Donelan of St Peters Brewery, "I'm ten years into a three year plan. It's a get rich slow scheme"

It's a strange move to make, unless its purely symbolic and intended to drive down the share price of competitors, reducing the market space. It doesn't seem to have had much impact so far though, only GRB is down.

edit: Infact I can't see how this fits well for either private or commercial investors. For those looking to diversify in certain sectors it makes it difficult to classify the principal activity and goal of the company. It also creates negative press for the sector, potentially resulting in further loss of shareholder confidence. If the returns from the shed business are good in the short-medium term though it could be good for those who want to recoup some losses and sell up.

Yeah, so Richo, given that you're not doing any brewing, are they going to have you putting up farm sheds and delivering mining dongas? :p

Sorry mate. See you next Friday at The Shed (as it'll now be known) for a beer.

Thanks Did for the crack I believe I start brewing in 10days failing that I will make cash dealing the few hundred kilos of hop flowers I am storing.

All jokes aside I fail to understand the negitivity. Mad monk is a subsiduary of oz Brewing as will be the shed co side of things.

There is a great deal of negativity by the WABN in particular to the brewing sector lets not help that along the focus for Mad Monk is beer food and our venue in Freo and our distilling project in Dunsborough.

Beer + Shed = Ozbrewing
Mad Monk does beer
Shedco does sheds

Why are we not asking what the $500,000 for the upstairs of monk or what the $1mill spend on Dunsborough entails

Anyhow I am off to have a beer in the Shed.
Cheers and beers

It's a strange move to make, unless its purely symbolic and intended to drive down the share price of competitors, reducing the market space. It doesn't seem to have had much impact so far though, only GRB is down.

edit: Infact I can't see how this fits well for either private or commercial investors. For those looking to diversify in certain sectors it makes it difficult to classify the principal activity and goal of the company. It also creates negative press for the sector, potentially resulting in further loss of shareholder confidence. If the returns from the shed business are good in the short-medium term though it could be good for those who want to recoup some losses and sell up.

I should clarify myself here. I do not intend to be negative about Oz Brewing, or Mad Monk. More craftbrew competition in Aus can only help to improve the quality and gain more support for the sector. You seem very passionate about beer Richard and I respect that.

Personally though, I can't see how Oz Brewing acquiring a large portion of a non-exec shareholders business in a completely different market can be viewed positively though? I mean sure, it'll help to increase the profit of Oz Brewing and help Mad Monk during the startup stages, but I don't see how it'll directly benefit the craftbrewing sector. It only generates negative press about the potential for return in the sector.

Maybe theres something as a layman that I don't understand though? :)

I guess I am not looking at it in a holistic way. I see a company that owns two entities. One makes beer the other sheds. As for my hop flowers I am putting together a forcast out untill may 09 and that will not provide me any gaurantee.

Ultimately I need to get this brewery up and fighting so I can kick some arse and excite the world then we can talk about my beers and leave the Gordon Gecko stuff to wall street.

Cheers and fear no beers beers

Richard from the shed.

I guess I am not looking at it in a holistic way. I see a company that owns two entities. One makes beer the other sheds. As for my hop flowers I am putting together a forcast out untill may 09 and that will not provide me any gaurantee.

Ultimately I need to get this brewery up and fighting so I can kick some arse and excite the world then we can talk about my beers and leave the Gordon Gecko stuff to wall street.

Richard from the shed.

Good on ya Richard,

when people invest in business its mostly about making money,leave that part to others, fence sitters enough in the world.
the share holders will be happy when their shares go up and I dont htink they give a stuff about how its made anyway......

I support anybody who is following his/her passion and wish you well!
liked your beer last weekend so be back for more!

cheers amita

Richard,
any chance of one of your brews being on when I'm loitering with intent in Freo around the ides of March?

Richard from the shed.
That's the way it is Richard, it takes a while to get a brewery up and running and that is the focus of this forum. :beer:

It's been about 6 weeks since we dismantled and started relocating our brewery and (office of gas safety willing) we will be back in production next week just as our beer stocks run out - talk about cutting it fine! :rolleyes:

There is always a need to keep the money flowing to keep the beer flowing so nothing wrong with alternate cash flow streams. Had a good chat about this topic to the brewers from Bright Brewery and Moo Brew last week over dinner (and a few other guys from bigger brewers) when they were on the Ballarat Uni course/tour and there are many ways to skin the cat. Being an ex-miner myself the donger business should be a good cash cow. ;)

Hope you're brewing soon (I should be brewing again in 4 days).

Cheers, Andrew.

The last few weeks have been like swimming through wet concrete and I am getting very imp[atient but as soon as I get back into the brewhouse I am sure balance will be brought back to the force. Excise inspection is tuesday 24th, boiler commisioned on Monday (it's sat idle for 2 years) hope that will do well. Brewing the tanks full for the late january beer launches. Thanks for the view points laughs (Dig) and support.

March I will have a very special beer that will be ready to emerge from conditioning so winkle i look forward to some loitering.

I love the view and surrounds of Moo Brew is OJ still brewing up a storm ? last time I saw him was AIBA 06 and I was absolutley shattered from a couple of sherbets the night before( another story)

cheers and vote beer 07 beers.

PS Randy Rob I can help you out with that allthough flowers are getting tough to source and the moment and I have had to rework most of my planned styles at least a few times each owing to the shortage have you tried going to some of the hop suppliers direct?

Monday! Excellent. I'll keep my ear out for any loud explosions coming from south street. Good luck with the commissioning.

I dropped in to the monk again last night. The venison chorizo pizza was so spicy it made me cry.

Monday! Excellent. I'll keep my ear out for any loud explosions coming from south street. Good luck with the commissioning.

I dropped in to the monk again last night. The venison chorizo pizza was so spicy it made me cry.

"Evil Laugh" wait for the chilli beer.

That was pretty funny Kai, I have never seen someone sweat out of thier eyes before and Richo I dont know how many times that I have to say this but its HOP CONES not HOP FLOWERS,heheheeheh.

Cheers and Beers

Brett

Sorry B man was smoking the flowers again.
PS miss the PML

So went along to Mad Monk tonight with some friends in tow to check it all out.

Only 3 beers on tap <_<

Thought, Well I'll ask the waitress and give this Richard fellow a ribbing...

Mika: "So is Richard Moroney about tonight ?"

Waitress (looking a bit sheepish) "Umm...Richard's not working here anymore...he quit earlier this week"

Mika: "Oh ?....So who's your head brewer now then"

Waitress (looking even more sheepish) "Umm...we don't actually have one at the moment"

Mika: "Oh ?!"

Waitress: Leaves quickly to bus someone else's table.

What Gives ?

As it stands we tried all three beers available, none of which were thought to be much better than 'Just beer', that from Me, a Kit brewer and an Old School beer drinker

Food was OK, place seemed to be fairly empty at the peak period, even when I strolled past an hour or so later not a lot seemed to be going on. I don't quite understand why it shouldn't work, it's got the location. The Cafe license might be holding them back a tad, but I guess you'd need more beer if you wanted to run it more pub like.

Just my 2c.

Wow, that's amazing. I wonder what happened to Big Richo...

He's not heading down Margs way is he?

He's not heading down Margs way is he?
I don't think so. He would have seen the job ad as it went out to all IBD members in WA... Maybe he is!

So, two beers were made at Gage and the new one by Richo. That's one beer in 18 months. Working you a bit hard were they big guy? :p

Latest posts

Back