Low Starting Gravity :(

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BennyBrewster

Reaction score
Took the sg of a beer I just put down and the sg is around 1032 where is should be aroune 1050.

Consisted of:
3kg esb bitter
150g dry wheat malt
200g Crystal
10g ek goldings
20 litres of water

I think perhaps I didnt mix the extract in hot enough water and I have an uneven mixture, hence the reading.

Do you guys think this will be a problem ?

I was under the impression it was better to boil the extract with some of your water - probably after steeping the grains n it.

You may need to explain your process in more detail so as you can get some helpful and accurate advice.

Dont stress, as long as the yeast are nice and healthy, they will find the gloopy sugar on the bottom. Back in my lazy K&K days I used to pour in the can, then top up with water, without bothering to stir. My finishing gravities were always about right.

So, in short, RDWHAHB

Cheers barfridge thats what I was hoping to hear :beerbang:

Mercs Own said:
I was under the impression it was better to boil the extract with some of your water - probably after steeping the grains n it.

You may need to explain your process in more detail so as you can get some helpful and accurate advice.
[post="98578"][/post]​

Mercs I never boil my kits (hopped extract) however I do boil unhopped LME or DME if I use them. I picked that habit up off guys on the forum here, apparently thats the way it should be done. :huh:

Definitely relax. Its pretty hard to stuff up your original gravity with extract that is unless you can't measure out water.

Ihad this problem with my last brew,aftrer putting too much water in the fermenter.I was told to add 500 grams of malt to the brew to improve body and alcohol.If you decide to anything like this i'd take it rel easy pouring the mix into the fermenter as it might froth up badly. :rolleyes:

Back