Low Carb Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el capitan

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Has anyone made any low carb beer yet? I did a search of the site, but got responses for Carbination only. While I was in the States I was really impressed with Miller/Bud/Anything else Lite. Full strength beer but with low carbs.

I'd be intrested on peoples thoughts and ideas on how to achieve this.

How much lower were the carbs? Did it say on the bottle? Doubt it...

Any dry(lower FG) beer is a low(er) carb beer

this is a beer forum, from tasting pure blonde and hahn super dry, i'm pretty sure 'low carb beer' is technically watery hop cordial.

I think the trick of a low carb beer is to put in half the normal flavouring ingredients, and enough dextrose to attain the alcohol, make sure it ferments out and voila you've got alcoholic water. (if low carb beer interests you for health benefits, don't bother, alcohol is more damaging to your metabolism than a few extra carbs.)

there is an enzyme u can buy that takes out the carbs.

i am going try it soon.

although i do beleive it makes it dry as a result.

The enzyme might dry it out and allow more conversion of sugar to alcahol.

But I think that there is some confusion about low carb being better for you.

Do some googling to find out more, but I seem to recall that alcahol is actually higher energy than carbohydrates. So drinking a beer that has less sugar and more alcohol will not help you lose weight.

I even remember seeing a table that said that some dark, malty beers have less calories (kilojoules) than some lagers.

Cheers,
Wrenny

What people have to bear in mind is that some diabetics etc have to drink low carb beers.

There is an enzyme that you put in beers that make normally unfermentable sugars and makes them fermentable.
I cant remember the name of it but G&G sell it.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Mark

What people have to bear in mind is that some diabetics etc have to drink low carb beers.

Agreed, some being like 5%. The rest of the low carb beer drinkers drink it to help protect their pecs from turning into tits. Or so they think.

Hi guys,

Has anyone made any low carb beer yet? I did a search of the site, but got responses for Carbination only. While I was in the States I was really impressed with Miller/Bud/Anything else Lite. Full strength beer but with low carbs.

I'd be intrested on peoples thoughts and ideas on how to achieve this.

Whoa dude, you must have been REAL WASTED while you were there if you were"really impressed" with those beers.

I put a post out recently about the same thing not long ago.
I bought a product called Modiferm and asked others what it was like.
The replies were coming back like , makes the the beer taste different( in a bad way), and so on
But look please dont let me stop you.
The best way to know for sure is to try it yourself. and tell us what you thought

I reckon the only way to do it is the same as the big breweries, adding extra amylase to the mash. Trying to tweak extract with enzymes will not get the same results.

Yeah brewmart sell something they call 'dietase' :D
But the bottom line is that it's the alcohol with the calories, anything full strength and flavour is going to have lots of carbs.
Not only that, it's the stress of the liver that will cause weight gain, so you could ingest less total calories than someone not drinking (and have the same level of physical activity) and still gain weight. Just look at me :)

Latest posts

Back