Low Carb And Low Alcohol Recipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBird

Reaction score
Hi all

Well my doctor says I need to change my consumption of beer to improve my health by changing to low carb, low alcohol beer.

So rather than buying the usual, I thought I might have a go at making my own and hopefully adding some taste to the brew.

Does anybody have a tasty tried and tested recipe (preferably mash but open to suggestions) for a low carb and low alcohol recipe?

Cheers and thanks

Hi all

Well my doctor says I need to change my consumption of beer to improve my health by changing to low carb, low alcohol beer.

So rather than buying the usual, I thought I might have a go at making my own and hopefully adding some taste to the brew.

Does anybody have a tasty tried and tested recipe (preferably mash but open to suggestions) for a low carb and low alcohol recipe?

Cheers and thanks
Get your doctor to define 'lo-carb',beer isn't high in carbs to start with,worry about the alc. content more if carbs are an issue with health.English/British milds,Scottish ales,etc are great beers with a restrained alc%,but still retaining heaps of flavour.Guinness is actually relatively lo-carb too,Dry Irish Stouts.. :drinks:

Good point toper1

I've found some interesting and by the look of ingredients used, some tasty low alcohol recipes from the recipe database.

Thanks

low alcohol is much more "healthier" than low carb...

my dietician said it better to drink "light" beer than low carb full strength...

another way of doing it much like the commercial breweries so you don't loose "flavour" is brew whatever it is you usually brew. Say you brew a standard 5% APA. Do it exactly as you normally do. Ferment it exactly as you usually do. Then at the end simply reboil anywhere from 1/2 to a 1/3 of post ferment wort to "burn off" the alcohol then blend the two back together again. Hey presto full taste low alcohol beer.

Aim for a low alcohol style that you like. Then mash it in low and use a high attenuating yeast to dry it out. Counteract this with some wheat or any high protein malt to ehance mouthfeel.

Saisons were traditionally low alc beers....that could work

Latest posts

Back