Low Attenuation, What Fg To Expect?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acasta

Bro Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I've done everything to leave me with a low attenuation but this beer's FG is just too high.

80% GP
20% Crystal

Single Infusion mash @ ~69C

S-04 Yeast

Fermenting at 18C

OG - 1.050
SG @ 3Days - 1.024
SG @ 6Days - 1.024

I know it may take a few days and knock off a point or two, but primary fermentation is pretty much complete. I've set the temp up to 20 and will rouse the yeast for and see what happens over the next few days/week.

Anyone have a rough estimate at where the FG on this should land? I was expecting around 1.015-18

I can't be 100% sure, but I can say I measured mash temp around 69 (could have been a touch higher) using a stick thermometer. It would have lost a degree or two during the mash which was 60 min.

Yes.
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=26281

Wow, surprising! I would have assumed that much crystal would lead to pretty low attenuation. Sure showed me!

Edit for clarity: I am not being sarcastic - looking through that thread, people seem to get fine attenuation using very large portions of special malts, including crystal.

SO4 loves to slow right down at 1.020 or thereabouts.

Any tips on getting it going again?

Patience, warmth, agitation. The usual suspects.

I kegged one once at the 1.020 stall and after a few weeks it was nicely carbed up!

Seems to be a common thing with that yeast. At 18 it seems to floculate out and stall. I have been giving this yeast a go lately and finding it a pain. I have a batch at moment that was fermented at 18 degrees and stalled, I got it down to 1015 but thinking of ditching it as it has too much diacetyl, still on the yeast but don't think it will reduce now. will put it too experience with this yeast and next time pitch more, pitch healthier and increase temps of 18 during ferment and especially at end. As stated earlier to get it going increase temp and agitate to get yeast back up and in the beer.

Back