Low Alcohol Ginger Beer - Advice needed to boost % after cold crash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trhr

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm a lazy brewer who has only really ever done all grain and some FWK (lazy as I said).
I recently had an event where I needed some non beer options and did a kit and kilo ginger beer for the first time. I wanted lower alcohol options too, but added too much water, % went too low and now have 25L of 2% ginger beer.

I used EC-1118 champagne yeast and fermented at 23 degrees for a week. SG was 1026 and FG was 1011. It's been cold crashing for a little over a week now since.

I kegged 9.5L for the event, which went down well for the drivers. I have the remainder still cold crashing at 1.5 degrees and I really don't want another 15L of 2% ginger beer.
I'm wondering if I add 500g of dextrose and bring temp up to ferment range, will the yeast come back to life?
Or should add another packet of yeast too once I'm at ferment temp?

Thanks in advance.

So I threw a kilo of dex and a packet of SN9 yeast at the remaining 15 litres of 2% ginger beer. Now its wait and see.

Does anyone know how to work out abv with a second ferment?
First ferment SG was 1024
First ferment FG was 1011 (2% abv)
New second ferment is SG is 1036.
I'm guessing its going to finish pretty low, around 1005.

Using Ians spread sheet I workout 3.1% abv for 1kg of dex in 15 litres with 75% attenuation so id assume you'd be around the 5.1% abv and a little more if you don't force carb. not sure what the the attenuation is of SN9 is though.

edit/ quick search reveals its around 80% so my estimate wound be around 5.4% maybe but ill let you do the math.

someone please correct me if Im wrong

Last edited:
Using Ians spread sheet I workout 3.1% abv for 1kg of dex in 15 litres with 75% attenuation so id assume you'd be around the 5.1% abv and a little more if you don't force carb. not sure what the the attenuation is of SN9 is though.

edit/ quick search reveals its around 80% so my estimate wound be around 5.4% maybe but ill let you do the math.

someone please correct me if Im wrong

Thanks allot, that abv is about what I was expecting.
I was just going to add 25 gravity points to the old SG of 1024 to give me a total combine SG of 1049 (difference of second SG of 1036 minus first FG of 1011 = 25).

Gravity is gravity, so thought it should be right. Cheers again.

Back