Loss of volume from primary to secondary to keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cunners

Reaction score
Hi there.

Today was the first day I did a primary to secondary transfer. Something occurred to me when I did it. I started with 19 litres in the primary, when I finished the transfer to the secondary I had 17 litres. I assume when I transfer to the keg I will lose at least another 1-2 litres.

Is this a normal expectation to lose 3-4 litres? Do I need to compensate for it somehow?

Depends what you consider as a loss and what you consider as your original volume.

Keep in mind you will have a lot of trub in the bottom of the fermenter. If you are racking off the trub, I would dare say losses shouldn't be that great. Likewise from secondary to keg. Just pouring beer off the trub.

With software it will help determining these types of losses. Most people consider a single batch 23 litres, so if possible you could try just brewing a bigger batch.

I always brew 24 litres for this reason. Actually, I've moved to 25L batches now, so i have something left over to put in my "frankenstein" keg. You will always get losses when transferring.

Cheers - Snow,

Most kits and extract recipes are usually for 23L (starting volume) batches? Been years since i did a kit & kilo... if you're trying to do a stronger abv by using a slightly lower water volume, then add a little bit more malt extract or dex to adjust...

As idzy mentions there is brewing software like Beersmith and Brewmate that will help you with adjusting for this... volumes and alcohol percentages...

If you are aiming to keg 19L then you will have to start with 21-23L to allow for the trub/yeast cake in primary, if you are racking to secondary for a cold crash or dry hopping then you will have some more loss from there but not as much. Best thing to do is make some measurements of what your wastage is at each stage to determine how much you need to start with...

so You started with 19L and already down to 17L if your loss to secondary cake is 2L as well you're only kegging 15L. So for those losses, a brew that you are doing a secondary for you will need to start with 23L at the start of your ferment to have 19L of finished beer.

The reason for racking is to leave crap behind. Yes you will have to sacrifice a litre or two. Once in secondary you'll notice you wont need to leave so much behind when racking to your keg. Do your brew to 23 litres and you'll end up with 19 in the corny keg ish..........or you can just rack from primary to the keg and let it drop out naturally when it chills in the fridge whilst drinking. Plus, as Snow mentions all the left overs from primary or secondary can be racked into a special "mongrel/Frankenstein keg".

Back