Looking For Barley Wine - Sydney

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silo Ted

Suspended in an Aspic Consomm
Reaction score
Thinking of trying my hand at a barleywine in the next few months, but before tying up the brewery for so long I would like to try some examples first, as I have never had the opportunity to taste one. The only trouble is, I have no idea where to find some. Have tried a couple of decent bottleshops but no luck so far.

The beerstore online sells De Molen Bommen and Granaten Barley Wine, but at $50 a bottle, plus postage, its a bit rich for my budget when I suspect I can make a whole batch for less than that.

Sydney members, any suggestions where I might look, and what brands I should look for? Alternatively, would anyone wish to part with a bottle of their finest in exchange for cash or beer?

i would try platinum cellars, concord Rd, North Strathfield/Concord.

I have bought Mikkellar Big Worse Barleywine from there..

You tend not to see them in bottle shops anywhere!
I would recommend you put in an order at the international beer shop in Perth and have it shipped.
We like to get a couple of mates involved and split an expensive carton.

Be sure to include Fullers Golden Pride in your shopping list.

i would try platinum cellars, concord Rd, North Strathfield/Concord.

I have bought Mikkellar Big Worse Barleywine from there..
Just make sure the wife doesn't see the receipt from your purchases! :icon_cheers:

The bottle shop right near Stanmore train station had about 10 bottles in the fridge of the Murrays Anniversary Ale 4 when I was in there last week. I think it was $30 a bottle.

Thinking of trying my hand at a barleywine in the next few months, but before tying up the brewery for so long I would like to try some examples first, as I have never had the opportunity to taste one. The only trouble is, I have no idea where to find some. Have tried a couple of decent bottleshops but no luck so far.

The beerstore online sells De Molen Bommen and Granaten Barley Wine, but at $50 a bottle, plus postage, its a bit rich for my budget when I suspect I can make a whole batch for less than that.

Sydney members, any suggestions where I might look, and what brands I should look for? Alternatively, would anyone wish to part with a bottle of their finest in exchange for cash or beer?
:icon_offtopic: I know that this doesn't help, but Melbourne has 3 great stores for beer - Slow Beer (1008 products according to their web page), Purvis Cellars (2 outlets, 1000 beers in each outlet according to the manager at Surrey Hills) and Acland Cellars (over 600 beers). You can get just about anything at any of these stores including barley wine, I haven't lived in Sydney for 23 years but I am surprised that they don't have anything as good. Is it becasue they are all thick-necked rugby players drinking KB?

[quoteIs it becasue they are all thick-necked rugby players drinking KB?[/quote]

Now you mention it Hazard, Sydney blokes do particularly like watching Melbourne Storm's progress through the league. A team you lot should be well proud of :)

Back on topic. Was looking in Platinum yesterday, great little source for beer. However they said that they have no barley wine in stock - apparantly they often keep Rouge's Old Crustacean, but there were none left. Might go and take a look at Camperdown Cellars in the next few days, and while im in the area pop down to Stanmore. Sounds like I need to pack the credit card before I go !

You tend not to see them in bottle shops anywhere!
I would recommend you put in an order at the international beer shop in Perth and have it shipped.
We like to get a couple of mates involved and split an expensive carton.

Be sure to include Fullers Golden Pride in your shopping list.

I bought Fullers Golden Pride as well as Thomas Hardy Ale (2007) from the International Beer Shop earlier this year. Great service and the beers arrived in perfect condition.

Thomas Hardy Ale is sublime, Fullers is not bad but still very young (my bottles are).

Still no luck on the Barley wine, it seems to be a rare beast. Went to Amatos, Camperdown Cellars, tried Platinum again and two other places, and SFA. Wouldn't you know it, I forgot to try Stanmore.

All is not lost though. Like a kid in a candy store, I ensured some souvenirs were brought home from my afternoon's travels around inner Sydney:

Holgate Hopinator
Holgate Temptress
Wells Banana Bread Beer
Ekim Viking IPA
White Rabbit White Ale
Montieth's crushed apple cider
Dieu Du Ciel - Peche Mortel
Little Creatures Single Batch Brown Ale
Youngs Double Choc stout
Samuel Adams Black Lager
Murray's Punch & Judy Ale
Archipelago Explorer

Sucks to be me right now :)

I'm not sure if its "technically" a barleywine but the Taphouse have Nogne O 100 on tap at the moment.

I'm not sure if its "technically" a barleywine but the Taphouse have Nogne O 100 on tap at the moment.

I was there last night and was about to suggest the same thing, and adding that there is the Hargreaves imperial red thingo as well. Both are good beers.

You've all convinced me to finally visit the Taphouse. I have a course in the city on Thursday, so I might pop up for a taste of Nogne.

Any members in the Darlo area around 330pm are most welcome to join me for a few :)

You can try contacting Westgate brewers in Melbourne. At a brew day there a little while ago, one of the members made a barley wine that was only 5 months old but it was superb. I think everybody there came back for seconds (and sometimes thirds and fourths). It might be worth contacting them.

Reuven

What a beer :icon_drool2:

I am assuming you mean the Hargreaves, but while both were very good, I thought the Nogne O really had a significant degree of sophistication above it in terms of fermentation characteristics and ingredient balance, even when you take into condideration that they are very different beers. The Nogne O really impressed me. A scarily drinkable big beer.

You've all convinced me to finally visit the Taphouse. I have a course in the city on Thursday, so I might pop up for a taste of Nogne.

Any members in the Darlo area around 330pm are most welcome to join me for a few :)

Lock it in Edie

:icon_offtopic:

I know this is OT but to the guys who have ordered from the international beer shop, how fast was the shipping?

Plonk in Canberra has a few. Off the top of my head we have:

Rogue Old Crustacean ($40 for 750mL 11.5%)

Flying Dog - not 100% sure if we have the Horn Dog Barley Wine in 330mL on its own right this moment but I do know that we've got shedloads of these awesome little mixpacks of their Canis Major series. 2x Horn Dog + 2x Double Dog (2IPA) + 2x Kerberos (Triple) + 2x Gonzo Imperial Porter = $26! (the only thing is they are all 207mL bottles. Still it's great when you consider how much they would be when in 330mL (~$10/bottle); the equivalent price for 8 x 207mL = $50 or there abouts.)

We've also got a bunch of Nogne O too - not too sure what though

And shipping to metro NSW should set you back less than $15 for 14kg (average weight of a case of beer) - and less if you're only getting a bottle or two

If you're interested call Ant on (02) 62606336 - he's there Thurs-Sun 8-530

cheers,

Dan

Back