Looking For A Temperature Controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I have been doing some research since the last post, would I be right in assuming the STC1000 is like buying a PID and Solid State Relay but in 1 handy unit?

from the STC1000 specs;

"Relay contact capacity: Cool 10A/250VAC;Heat 10A/250VAC"

For any more than 10A of heating, id be looking at something other than an STC1000

Sponge

EDIT: STC1000's dont compensate for overshoot or anything, just switch on when they get to X temp, and switch off when they get to Y.

PID's are advantageous as they reduce the fluctuations in temperature with their built in PID algorithm, and are able to be changed for every setup

Thanks. I have been doing some research since the last post, would I be right in assuming the STC1000 is like buying a PID and Solid State Relay but in 1 handy unit?

Not really. From what I have read on the HERMS thread, and STC-1000 is either on or off, where a PID will ramp up and down to avoid (minimise) temp overshoots in your HX. I guess a PID is a far more intelligent version of a STC-1000.

I've been using an STC1000 on the 2200W element in my HLT for the last few brews and its worked great. Granted it doesn't switch on and off with a very high frequency.

PID's are advantageous as they reduce the fluctuations in temperature with their built in PID algorithm, and are able to be changed for every setup

PID controllers don't allow for switching between 2 sources, and do not include compressor delay so not that good for cooling.

PID controllers don't allow for switching between 2 sources, and do not include compressor delay so not that good for cooling.
While that is true, it's also irrelevant for a HERMS system which is what Drew's Brew's was asking about. ;)

I have multiple STC 1000's (Keg fridge, fermenting fridge, yoghurt-maker-urn), a FridgeMate (HLT) and they all work great for that purpose.
However, IMHO a PID for is best for a HERMS system.

Ah, missed HERMS pop up there was still thinking brew fridges. Yep agree, PIDs are the way to go for that application.

Thanks for the info. Yes I hijacked the thread a bit talking about HERMS. I will talk to my sparkie friends about what will suit my new setup.

Latest posts

Back