Lookin' For A Good Commercial Stout!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mountain Goat Crossbreed Black IPA. It is supposed to be an IPA, but I'd classify it as stout-like, based on the fact that it has the stout colour and bitterness (though I know the bitterness is the hops, not the roasted grain). I don't rate it highly for the price v quality stakes, but as an example of dark beer, it isn't that bad.

Zwyiec Porter is fantastic. Really genuinely like that beer, though can't drink much of it.

Goomba

Sheaf stout is a great one. Easy to get just about anywhere too.

Unfortunately it's NSW only - or maybe Dans interstate may possibly stock it nowadays or get it in on order. I drown in the stuff whenever I'm in NSW. Sis in law, last time she came up I asked her if she could bring six Sheaf if not too heavy. Picture a little Chinese Lady five foot in her stockinged feet. She arrived with six - tallies in a Liquorland carrybag :eek: - they let her on the plane. Fran's a real gem.

If you're in Melbourne, the Arctic Fox stout can be a bit tasty, but as above, the Murray's Wild Thing is rather awesome, but probably a bit of an intense way to jump into the style.

Bellarine Mussel Stout +1..bought a six pack from brewery

While I think of it.. Barilla Bay Oyster Sout from Tassie, made on consignment by 2 Metres Tall Brewery. Tasty :icon_cheers:

Unfortunately it's NSW only - or maybe Dans interstate may possibly stock it nowadays or get it in on order. I drown in the stuff whenever I'm in NSW. Sis in law, last time she came up I asked her if she could bring six Sheaf if not too heavy. Picture a little Chinese Lady five foot in her stockinged feet. She arrived with six - tallies in a Liquorland carrybag :eek: - they let her on the plane. Fran's a real gem.

Not uncommon! I was in Perth for work when Feral released Hop Hog in bottles. I went to the IBS, bought a carton, and put that baby in the overhead compartment on my flight back to Kal.

Back on topic: Most stouts are much better a bit warmer. Coopers BES being one of my favourites. But I would definitely recommend Youngs Double Choc Stout as a starting point. Just reading through this thread is making my mouth water at the thought of drinking some stout... Wonder whats in the fridge....
Mitch
:D

This thread is getting off topic a bit but in a good way, I mean the dude does not want something as big as some stouts mentioned but as far as those goes Amager Hr Fredriksen is a newer one into the country to look out for, amazing beer.

As far as the original question my pick is Ace Of Spades, it is not as big in Alc as many foreign extra stouts and can be a session stout for many, roast is not offensive and its a damn great beer. Turned many non stout drinkers around and kept many stout drinkers happy.
I may be bias and I properly drink more of it then anybody.

Shameless plug - Brewboys have a Seven Shades Of Spades session week coming up 12-14th of May.
There will be seven shades of spades, Three different batchs on tap, the fourth tap being the latest batch through the hop tower with Peru Quinacho coffee beans, one will be a keg only run which was only availible at the brewery and The Norfolk Hotel in Fremantle, almost a percent higher in Alc and one keg left hidden away for many months. There is well aged batch number seven in bottles and the latest bottling run brew. Add to that Simons Ace Of Spades Stout sausages availible on the Saturday the 14th all day for the Seventh Shade, some of the brews have subtle differences and a couple are quite unique. So for all you stout heads come down and and have a crack.
Seven Shades of Spades - Stout or get out, leave your charger lager drinking mates at home.

Cheers
Jayse

Ace_up_sleeve.jpg

This thread is getting off topic a bit but in a good way, I mean the dude does not want something as big as some stouts mentioned
Not necessarily. I tried for a while to get into the darker beers and just couldn't see the attraction..."Mmmm...beer and bad coffee - together at last!!!" And tried all the beers mentioned here (except for Sheaf, could not find it in Vic for love nor money). Then I went to the States and tried (someone else's) Old Rasputin (RIS) and it blew my mind, bought a pint for myself and all the "lesser" stouts clicked into place for me and I now enjoy (most of) them. Still can't see the point of bottled/canned Guinness but.

I find it difficult to pigeon hole stout - as there's so many variances within the style itself.

Here's a few of my favourites, all of which I'm well & truly happy to drink if I'm in the right mood.

I've tried to sort of categorise them - but it's only my taste and my opinion, your experience may vary.

Soft & sweet(ish) - chocolatey or fruity..
Coopers Best Extra, Young's Chocolate, Prickly Moses, Bootleg Oatmeal, Beard & Brau Milk Stout, Hargreave's Hill.

Drier & more savoury in flavour - coffee, soy/oyster sauce..
Red Hill Imperial, Samuel Smith's Imperial, Mountain Goat Surefoot, Guinness Foreign Export, Primator, Grand Ridge Hatlifter, Cascade Export.

Mindblowing - but not for everyone. Completely OTT - drink like red wine - big glass at/around room temperature..
Brewdog Tokyo, 8wired iStout.

I've never been a big fan of darker beers or stouts, but I'm wanting to give it another go because I don't want to ignore a whole style of beer I could be brewing out of poor taste. So I'm wondering what commercial stout would you recommend to primarily a Lager/Ale drinker to come over to the dark side? (Pun intended.)
For a lager drinker, I think the good ol tooheys Dark is easy to come about to at least get a taste for dark roasty beers.

My favourite is Coopers Best Extra. Others I've really enjoyed are Sheaf Stout & Southwark (only seen & tried once).

I've been enjoying the Coopers BES this winter too.
I wouldn't think it's a great intro stout though, it's a bit heavy and acrid for my money, which is fine by me, but may be a bit much for a non stout drinker.
If you ever get to Ireland, the Guinness and Murphy's on tap is just so good, so smooth and easy to drink, no comparison to the same brands abroad.

Back