Lookin' For A Good Commercial Stout!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll lend support for the Coopers Best Extra and the Mountain Goat Surefoot. My two favourite Aussie stouts.

Grand Ridge Hatlifter Stout is very drinkable & won't put you to sleep! (Snuck in 6 over the weekend).

I'll toss Grand Ridge 'Moonshine' into the equation. :icon_cheers: Although labelled as in the 'Scotch Ale' style,i'd personally consider it more a robust/imperial stout,though i admit,it's been a few years since i've tried a bottle,might be different now <_<

sam smiths oatmeal stout is great. im not sure if its still arround but holgate temptress was awsome. prikly moses has a nice stout too.

coopers is always readily available at most bottlos as is guinness but would have to be on tap, and i personally like the James Squire Porter. Have Fun

Jan

I'll toss Grand Ridge 'Moonshine' into the equation. :icon_cheers: Although labelled as in the 'Scotch Ale' style,i'd personally consider it more a robust/imperial stout,though i admit,it's been a few years since i've tried a bottle,might be different now <_<

I had some of that a few years ago in Melbourne. Started my love affair with stout (damn stout, damn waisteline!!) :icon_cheers:

I've never been a big fan of darker beers or stouts, but I'm wanting to give it another go because I don't want to ignore a whole style of beer I could be brewing out of poor taste. So I'm wondering what commercial stout would you recommend to primarily a Lager/Ale drinker to come over to the dark side? (Pun intended.)

If after trying some more stouts you still find you're not that into them it might be worth having a crack at some porters instead then working your way up to stouts.
+1 . Although Id suggest you try dark and red ales as an introduction.

+1 for Moonshine.

I commend you for broadening your drinking experience. Id start gentle, rather than diving into the beers that a spoon will stand up in.

Id try the Red Ales and Dark Ales, before moving to the hard core beers.

Readily available on tap, Id suggest Kilkenny and Guinness, or even a combination of the two it has a special name, but I cant remember what it is.

Bottled .. a fantastic beer is Baltika (spelling) #4.

+1 James Squire Porter
Also, not sure what happened but the Guinness cans taste better recently.

Readily available on tap, Id suggest Kilkenny and Guinness, or even a combination of the two it has a special name, but I cant remember what it is.

Guinness and Bass ( sometimes Kilkenny) is a black and Tan

Guinness and Budweiser is a black and trash :icon_offtopic:

Sheaf Stout is a surprisingly good drop from the Fosters Group :)

I would grab a bottle of sheaf stout on the walk back from work on those days... You know the days i am talking about...

Definately Coopers Best Extra Stout. Warmed up to a few degrees below room temp.

That would be the biggest tip right there......

I was 'broken in' to stouts this way...put to the test to get 2 sheaf stout stubbies and keep them cold as in the fridge.

Take them both out and crack one and pour and drink...Ashtray

the next one many minutes later when the bottle was cool not cold...liquid chocolate!!!

I would hazard a guess the reason you've avoided stouts is that you were drinking them way too cold and not getting their best out of them....

You can also look at beers that are not full blown stouts. There are dark lagers, porters, Belgians etc.

I got my old boy drinking White Rabbit Dark Ale, and he defintiely wouldn't willingly drink a stout. The dark thing is a huge hurdle for a lot of people, and it only takes a pinch of roasted malt to make a beer dark enough to scare your average lager drinker.

+ 1 for the Coopers.
Sheaf is always good value.
Zywyec Polish Porter from Dan's is my dark horse (pun intended) beer of the year.

+1 to Brew Boys Ace Of Spades, Cascade Stout & Youngs Double Chocolate

I also really love Bellarine Mussel Stout from Victoria, although it may not provide the best starting point.

Latest posts

Back