Longer Than Normal High Krausen?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brown_hound

Reaction score
G'day all.

Have just put down a brew with US-05..

Has been fermenting @ 16.5 degrees for 9 days now..

Still a fair amount of airlock activity so i haven't bothere taking a gravity reading yet.

Said brew has been at high Krausen for over a week now.. This is the first brew I've done with the Krausen sticking around for this long..

Is this typical for most of you guys? As it's not typical in my limited experience.

Cheers legends.

Hound

have had this happen a once with US-05 before, it was a higher gravity IPA wort though like 1.064 so was expected to take a bit longer, is yours a high alc beer?

Nah mate.. OG 1.046- Tony's LCBA...

I would expect at 16.5 for it to take a little longer, I recently had an 05 go ballistic(@ 18'c) with krausen but didnt make the damn thing ferment out any quicker, it's not altogether unheard of.

I find us-05 to be quite inconsistant with regard to how big the krausen gets (on similar/same brews and also how long it hangs around.

I would take a reading now and again in a few days to determine wether or not it's still on the move, after 9 days though you may want to ramp up the temps a bit now to assist it in finishing off and cleaning up lest they get lazy and sleepy and you get a stuck ferment.

Cheers

I would expect at 16.5 for it to take a little longer, I recently had an 05 go ballistic(@ 18'c) with krausen but didnt make the damn thing ferment out any quicker, it's not altogether unheard of.

I find us-05 to be quite inconsistant with regard to how big the krausen gets (on similar/same brews and also how long it hangs around.

I would take a reading now and again in a few days to determine wether or not it's still on the move, after 9 days though you may want to ramp up the temps a bit now to assist it in finishing off and cleaning up lest they get lazy and sleepy and you get a stuck ferment.

Cheers

Thanks Oz.

I ramped it upto 18 yesterday..

Good temp or should I maybe go a bit higher? To finish it off that is?

Cheers.

I've kegged a finished US05 (1.055) APA that still had a 1cm thick yeasty krausen on it. Almost like a hefe/wit yeast but about half the thickness.

Most other times it's been as flat as a calm lake.

I've kegged a finished US05 (1.055) APA that still had a 1cm thick yeasty krausen on it. Almost like a hefe/wit yeast but about half the thickness.

Most other times it's been as flat as a calm lake.

Strange how much it can change brew to brew which are apparently the same ingredients-wise..

Only difference to prior attempts is this time I brewed with flowers, not pellets, and at 16.5, not 20.

And much the same as yourself Nick, have a thick, yeasty 1cm Krausen which has remained the same throughout fermentation.

Will bump upto 20 for a day or two, then rack to secondary for CC @ 0.

Strange how much it can change brew to brew which are apparently the same ingredients-wise..

Only difference to prior attempts is this time I brewed with flowers, not pellets, and at 16.5, not 20.

And much the same as yourself Nick, have a thick, yeasty 1cm Krausen which has remained the same throughout fermentation.

Will bump upto 20 for a day or two, then rack to secondary for CC @ 0.

If FG is reached, it is just top cropping. US05 can top crop under certain conditions, not as much as some other yeasts though. Things like water minerals, pitching rate, yeast health, PH etc can effect how much yeast hangs around on top. It certainly isnt a bad thing - I would be more concerned with the krausen dropping out early / underattenuation. I would consider it a sign of good yeast health. A true top cropper (i.e. 1318) will often end up with a healthy layer of krausen on top, and fully attentuated, clear beer underneath!

i also get a high thick krassen that hangs around for while(in ag brew) using 05.
i like to throw hops(dry hopping) in but like to have a clean surface so
sometimes i have had to stir it a bit(break the surface) which allowed it
to blend back into brew, not sure if this is bad but didnt seem to affect beer.
heres mine which i pitched last friday, kept at 18c.
kraus1.jpg

i also get a high thick krassen that hangs around for while(in ag brew) using 05.
i like to throw hops(dry hopping) in but like to have a clean surface so
sometimes i have had to stir it a bit(break the surface) which allowed it
to blend back into brew, not sure if this is bad but didnt seem to affect beer.
heres mine which i pitched last friday, kept at 18c.
View attachment 44976

That there Doug is exactly how mine looks...

As strange as it is, glad to hear it's normal..

Cheers all

here it is day 6 with thick layer on top.
aus05.jpg
here i stick a spoon in and break up layer.
this is usually what i do before dry hopping
however wont doing that with this one.
aaus05.jpg
a couple minutes later looking good.
aaaus05.jpg
do other people get thick layers like this using us05?

That yeast layer is protecting your beer from oxygen and other nasties - I wouldn't remove it.

I've never tried dry hopping through a yeast layer - but if the hops don't penetrate via their own weight through the layer then I'd be making the smallest hole possible to drop them in.

I'm 8 days into a fermentation of an Amber Ale (OG 1.052) with WLP001 (White Labs equivalent of US05), and it still looks the same as dougsbrew's in post #9.

That yeast layer is protecting your beer from oxygen and other nasties - I wouldn't remove it.

I've never tried dry hopping through a yeast layer - but if the hops don't penetrate via their own weight through the layer then I'd be making the smallest hole possible to drop them in.

yeah, good point. i imagine the hops thrown on top of the layer may start the break up anyway.
it doesnt take much to disrupt it. will try this next time i dry hop to see what happens.

Latest posts

Back