Longer Than Expected Fermentation.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks guys,

this is a little embarrassing, but i think it was at 24 degrees because i forgot to take into account the 2L of boiling water when i started. when i got home, i went straight to the garage to see that it was at 18deg. *phew* next time i'll take a chill pill before posting....

oh, and i just used the kit yeast. is that a bit of a no-go, generally speaking?

-Fergus #2

;)

I can't speak for all kit yeasts but if it was a Coopers kit then I personally find nothing wrong with them, although one pack IMO is not enough as you're underpitching, by a fair bit. I generally save up the Coopers kit yeasts as I use liquid yeast in most cases, but when I've been lazy & haven't built up a starter of liquid I'll pitch 2-3, sometime 4 packs of the kit yeasts, also depending on the beer I want to make. If you want to up it a step in the yeast department I'd suggest getting yourself a pack of fermentis US-05 for future batch's (depending on what beer you're making also), which is a good nuetral yeast and a bloody good worker. Perfect for Pale Ales and IPA's (American IPA's that is), I've had that sucker working as low as 16c & as high as 22 with good results. Keeping in mind that a consistent temp is better than having it go up and down like a yo-yo, although I wouldn't push it much past 22-23.
Keep this batch in the bottle for a few months if you can hold off and it should be fine :icon_cheers:

Back