Long Brew Weekend

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
30 l of ESB down on Saturday. Pulled HLT and Boiler apart Sunday and replaced seals. 20 l of Ordinary Bitter and 20 l of APA to be brewed Monday, starting 6am. 4 fermenters singing by Tuesday! Let me know if you see any heatwaves heading this way.

Its an SFA for me this weekend. Brewed a stout last Tuesday.

Just finished a Australian Lager, hit all the right temps and OG hopefully turn out a treat.

Stagger

Kegged the draught on Saturday, first stout Sunday, cleaned bottles Monday, will have a Southern Brown Ale to bottle later in the week

Longbrew smoothness just got bumpy. Thick sticky concentrated stout wort sprayed all over kitchen after an unfortunate pouring incident. Amazing a how far a few hundred mls of black gold can spread.. Not a nice mess. Hope it didn't cost me too many points or an infection in the choas. Do you think it will matter that I mopped it off the floor and squeezed out what I could into the fermentor.............. :D
It's all tucked into bed now ready to burst into life.

Have a nice day at work tommorow everyone. I'll see you there wednesday!

Borret. :blink:

Put down a 40 litre batch of bitter. A big Thank you to Tidelpete for mounting the Crank and Stein, my previous effort was pretty poor, more like a junk heap than a mill. That inspired a go at a bigger brew. Due to the larger size had to construct a milk crate and table brew stand.
After constructing the stand and crushing the grain, checked the thermometer that was dropped in the mash last brew day. 10 C out at room temp. :eek:. Caught up with a little nap (4:30am dawn service) waiting for 10am. Picked up a thermometer at Starbucks. Measured the 60 litre kettle (that is what it was sold as, 60 litre) and it can hold 85 litre (made a dip stick out of a sanded back cricket stump, a sight glass looks like a good option). Mrs Nonic noted that I need a pump, can only agree :)

Both fermenters are singing a lovely blurp blurp song this morning.

Brewed a Kolsch yesterday, tweaking a previous recipe a little. Got to the end of the brewday without a single drama, hit the mash temp of 65 spot on, cleared nicely, sparged without any incident and managed not to run out of gas despite the bottle feeling suspiciously light at the start of the day. Gravities and volumes perfect.

Finished product is hitting the fermenter when I feel that horrible wet sensation around my toes... BUGGER! Left the fermenter tap open :( Lost 2 litres before I got the tap shut... It has only happened to me once before about 2 years ago when racking a beer in the kitchen and I swore I'd never do it again... Nothing like watching 2 litres of your best hit the concrete after 5 hours...

Still, the rest of the brew seems fine!

Shawn.

Got the Smoke Me a Kipper (SMaK) Bitter down yesterday. Only drama was what I think was a stone in the grain that jammed up the mill and spat about 2kg of malt across the garage floor.

Managed to time everything well enough to catch the dawn service from Gallipoli. Hoisted a few to the diggers and remembered them well.

Cheers to JSB for the brew saving challenger and AnthonyMac for the loan of the third fermenter.

Steve

Got the ESB down Saturday, changed the IPA plan and brewed another Kolsch yesterday.

Parents are here visting at the moment and are getting through a bit :chug: got to keep stocks up. Looks like another brew weekend this weekend. Bugger :) .

Picked up the supplies
1.5Kg Marris Otter
2.1kg Flaked Maize
3.British Ale Yeast
from ESB on saturday morning from a freshed faced young lad, fired up the kettle on sunday morning and except for a couple of showers during the sparging everything was cool. I rushed the wort through the chiller and only got down to 29C, the aquarium pump aerator was a disaster, I think I need a ballsier pump.
Measured the SG and plugged it into Promash-81% efficiency! Holy Crap
Monday had a few in honour at a picnic.

Latest posts

Back