Long Brew Weekend

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wont be doing any as all the fermenters are busy. :(
I may, just may be able to fit one more fermenter in the shed.

cheers
johnno

Borret,

Much better thanks! The extra info clarifies it somewhat.

Mine were bulk primed as well but there was no difference at all between those with chilli and those without. So the possibility of a wild yeast is valid. Who knows what those little buggers can get up to.

I'm confident my chillis had no wild yeast attached since they came straight from the freezer and I suspect they wouldn't survive at -20C (no blanching involved either). However, if fresh chillis were used it's a possibility that was the cause of your overcarbonation. I agree - more than coincidence.

BTW I don't have a problem with your personal observations. It's much better than quoting something that was read in a book once as some are prone to do. Your statement without qualification is misleading though as there are several factors that could cause overgassing.

Regards
Steve (who thinks half the info is worse than none at all)

EDIT: post addressed to Borret

Point taken. I do rememeber addressing the infection situation at the time (either a short soak in rinse free sanitise or a quick scalding, ore both, can't remember) so I naturally suspected chillis as the source of extra fermentables.....
In the end ...who really knows. It still blew my head which was the point of the experiment.

Cheers

Borret.

bottling a coopers ipa. boiled up 10g fuggles for 15min. and dry hopped with another 10g. cheers!!
joe

I'm brewing a english pale ale, its in the mash now. Its my first AG, the mash temp is a bit low, but i'm going to let it go at 64 for 70 mins then mash out at 70.

Ray_Mills said:
Well its the Two compitition beers on Monday, The Mash paddle and Gerards beer. not say any more as I give to many secrets away.
Happy brew weekend to you all.
[post="55705"][/post]​

Oh, come on Ray. You know you want too :p
Whatcha brew'in ?

Doc

johnno said:
I wont be doing any as all the fermenters are busy. :(
I may, just may be able to fit one more fermenter in the shed.

cheers
johnno
[post="55678"][/post]​
I may have to get another fermenter and make another beer.

It's only been 3 days and already I miss my Mash Tun :(

Have a good brewing weekend everyone!

Bless the ANZAC's.

C&B
TDA

Will be bottling a chocolate porter and putting down a kit beer, either a Morgans Blue Mountain Lager or a Coopers Canadian Blonde.

Anzac day I will be going to the dawn service at Drummoyne, then down to Drummoyne RSL for breakfast and a few cold beers with the brothers and the mates And toasting my Dad and all his departed mates who served the country.

My ESB is down.
APA probably Monday as well as the dawn service.

Hope everyone elses long brew and tribute weekends are going well.

Doc

I have finished my brewday Phew!!!!!!

Brewed a Brown ale in the end as stocks are going fast.
(48 Grolsch boittles my thumbs are killing me)

Bottled an English bitter with German hops ( dont know what you call that) .

Transferred the Tamworth lager(German yeast )into a glass Carboy for Secondary .Gee it tasted good .

Why does AG brewing take so long??? ,but it is nice to get a batch lined up in bottles and think thats another 15 days stock .

Pumpy

Should be pitching the W1968 ESB yeast into the Fullers London Pride clone soon.
2nd go at this. First one contaminated with wild yeast. Say no more... :angry:

This ag brew wanted flaked maize (recipe from Real Ale by Wheeler and Protz), so I fed it some cheapy Corn Flakes. Very cloudy mash, and did not filter well during lautering, even after extended recirculation.

I even added the sugar (630 g) as per recipe.

This is a "special request" beer for someone at work. If I like it they can have only one case.

Bottled my porter this evening (mini-mash).

Hope to start a Witbier on Tues (as I have the week off). :D :D

Maybe Passiona Wit, as well as the ag Wit, using a kit base, in memory of Backlane Brewery, who appears to have left brewing and this forum. :beer:

Seth (Lest we forget)

Just one brew for me this weekend.

Already have a lager in cc.

Doing a partial IPA tommorrow that should come out at about 72 IBU. Using some interesting hops reccomended by Dave at Goliath Brewing. The hops smell great and I can't wait to get it going.

Unfortunately I didn't get the yeast (Wyeast 1099 Whitbread) til this morning but the smack pack blew up in not time and the starter seems to be going well.

Then it is off to dawn service tomorrow morning. I have managed to convince a bunch of friends to join me this year. Maybe the promise of breakfast at my place after helped. That and some beer after breakfast.

Have a great weekend everyone.

My plans so far are;

Saturday,
20 litres of an Aussie Ale along the lines of the Mash Paddle.
Then fit the 90 litre boil kettle to my brewery so I can brew up big time. :)

Sunday,
50 litres of an APA very similar to Grumpys Boston Cream Ale.
Oh! and take some rubbish to the tip. :(

Monday,
First up I will watch the march on TV and pay respect to the fallen and to those who have served our country.
Then I will have to decide wether to do a 20 litre or a 50 litre batch of a Robust Porter. Decisions decisions!!!! :p

Have a safe and happy long weekend,

I bottled some cyser once, put a small whole chili in a few bottles.

The bottles got some heat and capsicum taste, but never ovepowering. If you only have whole chilis, deseed and cut into slivers, one sliver per bottle will be fine.

You could also add the chili in secondary, leave 2 weeks, rack off the chilis

Jovial Monk (on ADSL, woohoo!)

Ok Wankers Left Arm IPA, HLT cranking up to temp......just about to dough in.....

Cheers
JB

JSB said:
Ok Wankers Left Arm IPA, HLT cranking up to temp......just about to dough in.....

Cheers
JB
[post="56106"][/post]​

4.00pm Sunday afternoon just doughed in at 40c.

I have a feeling this may be a longer day than i thought. :)

All the best to all who brew today.

Steve

Bottling a Guiness this arvo - hopefully the last bottled beer before the kegs arrive! Should have enough time in the bottle for consumption during the Canberra winter.

Cheers, and have a beer or two for the Anzacs who made the ultimate sacrifice to allow us to do this!
TL

Bottled my Partial mash german wheat beer friday night
Bottle My ESB Bavarian Bock Saturday Night (has lagered for a month)
Buikding up a starter of wyeast Irish ale as we speak to hopefully pitch to a grumpies mild comonial stout masterbrew in the next 2 days.

Longbrew going smoothly so far!

Borret

Latest posts

Back