Log Software

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigfella

Reaction score
What Software do you guys use to keep track of your brews or do you just use good old pen and paper.

I have just done my first patial and want to start keeping some good records.

Initially I developed a web based database to enter all my brews (then kit based) which was quite handy. However when I started moving away from kits I didn't update the forms and fields.
I've always used notebooks to record all brews, but in the last week I've developed my own brewsheet to record all the details.
It is a single A4 sheet that basically has all the fields, you just have to plug in the details and numbers.
I don't have it on this PC, so will upload it tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Beers,
Doc

Personally I use promash, very happy with it. From what I can tell it is between promash and beersmith. Both have trial versions you can download and try. Not a bad investment if you are going to get serious about your brewing.

Promash has an Aussie malt import file which sets up all the local malts, I think beersmith will also get this soon. I would suggest you try them both and get the one you like. Good value for about $30 AUS.

I can't find were you download the Australian malts from on the promash website

Do a search on this forum under promash with wessmith as the name.
There will be a like to the website that will give you the file.

Bigfella,

I wrote an MS-Access database for mine, though, will need to either modify it when I finally go AG or just scrap it and go with promash or qbrew. But, it works very well for me while I'm still doing mini-mashes. It was originally written for K&K. It's got a dynamic SQL kinda generator that allows you to define how you want to query the database. If you'd like I can post you a copy, but, as it's written in Access 97 on Windows 95, it may not work on the newer PC's.

Beers
:chug:

A combination of good old pen-and-paper and memory for me.

Here is my brew sheet that I record all the info on.
I do use Promash to generate the recipes etc, but being in the IT industry don't rely on computer records. Therefore I keep a paper copy of everything.

Beers,
Doc

View attachment Doc__s_Brew_Sheet.pdf

Pro mash i use for recipes i do so i keep a memo on paper too providing i dont loose it

I use promash but take note of Docs post....
I do use Promash to generate the recipes etc, but being in the IT industry don't rely on computer records.
I used Promash alone and my system crashed so I lost more than half of my good recipes and notes. Lesson learnt so now I always keep a record on paper in a brewing folder.

Hoops

Thanks Doc,
That is a nice document. I will use a few of those. Nice and easy for a beginner.

cheers

tried one of those free ware programs.great but its now lost inside my computer somewhere and im buggered if i can find it.
fortunately ive always put every brew on paper.
now im writting all my gathered recipes on word and printing them out and laminating them for filing.
you can spill anything on them on brew day and wipe it clean after your session.
eventually though i will buy promash or beersmith.

cheers
big d

I happen to use Beersmith, but from what I've seen Promash and the others are just as good, it's just what you get used to.

The other thing I do is backup my important data (list of previous girlfriends, last Will & Testament, Beersmith etc) onto the SAN at work. mind you, with 11.2T on line, my stuff doesn't really impact :D

Trev

PostModern said:
You call notepad hard-core? I use vim :D
Of course some Emacs folk might snigger (not me of course, I quite like vim).

I wrote a python application to keep logs of my brews. There isn't much mathematical stuff in there, I wrote it before I realized there was much in the way of maths. It does adjust SG readings according to temperature.

I also wanted to keep track of OG readings and reviews from other people, not just the recipe. The back end is a postgresql database but it could just as easily use an "embedded" DBMS such as sql lite (setting up postgresql is probably a bit too much of a pain in the arse for most people).

It should run on any platform that has python and wxPython. I have tried it on linux, win2000 and XP.

I was thinking of incorporating the qbrew maths (and/or other) into it so it could help with recipe design.

homebrew.png

Back