Local Paper Article

• Thread starter bindi
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bindi

Worth a read, Link ,the sad part is it's tragic extract. ;) Home brew

Opps, fire suite on. :p

I saw it in the paper too - next Case Swap there? :lol:

haha, there is a big sign in front of the capper saying, "do not hold bottle while capping"..... Rod musnt have seen it. :lol:

haha, there is a big sign in front of the capper saying, "do not hold bottle while capping"..... Rod musnt have seen it. :lol:

Yeah, I was going to post that, but you beat me to it :lol:

Called in at Brew 4 U a couple of days after they opened and spoke to Olly, nice lady and quite open to good beer talk, happy to explain the operation and open with ingredients and temps etc. Quite happy to explain their fermentation temps, lengths and filtering process. Would be my pick of these operations here on the coast.

Much more friendly than their opposition at Kawana, have called in there too, they came accross as "we know all about beer, we know what to do, so don't make any suggestions", AND "here only females are allowed to do the measuring and boiling they're more accurate than males". A guy came in while I was there, we got talking, he was originally from Munich and was interested in making wheat beer as he missed it. They told him how a wheat beer should taste, although he didn't really agree they did what they could to convince him he didn't know anything. After a sample of their wheat beer, his reply "well tastes like beer". Don't think they won him as a customer.

Screwy

Very Similar to the UBrewit type franchise that is springing up around the country.
I had a quick look round our local branch the people seemed very helpful and quite a large range of recepies. Disadvantage (for some people ) was batch size was 10 gallons and fairly expensive compared to what most K and K brewers are used to.
Advantages were some nice equipment to use and a canning facility if you want. Might be handy up here in the tropics for doing a lager as they have temperature controlled rooms for fermenting and storage. :rolleyes:

Anybody experienced these places. Noticed on a visit to Canada lots of these type of places around in Ontario.

Linky to Ubrewit.com.au

We have two down in Wollongong that I know of.
I went to an open night they had there and enjoyed the three lagers they made available on tap.
They were ok.
Clear and crisp and nothing to write home about.

I tried to talk to the guys about different yeasts or unfiltered beer, as my interests lie mainly in belgian ales, and they werent interested.
They gave me a bottled "dunkelweisen" that the bloke makes for himself.
It tasted more like kent old than any dark wheat beer Ive ever tasted.
They were also unaware that the "gluten free" beer they were offering was made from wheat glucose.

All in all.. not a bad way for people to start, particularly if they are really into bright clear lagers, and lets face it, most of us were when we started brewing.

I think that it is a good way to further the interest in the sport of home brewing, but you probably wont be interested if you are already set up for making brews at home.

But around 90% per cent of them come here to save money.

...that says it all...

Depends on how you look at it. I brew hefeweizens, Imperial Stouts, Belgians, Bitters, etc because it would cost me a fortune to buy commercial examples of these beers regularly. I will concede the satisfaction from brewing them is part of it, but I imagine the majority of the Brew 4 U crowd get a fair bit of satisfaction from the brewing process as well.

Cheers - Snow

Might be handy up here in the tropics for doing a lager as they have temperature controlled rooms for fermenting and storage. :rolleyes:

Checked with both franchises here on the Sunny Coast, asked what temp they fermented their lagers, was told by both "the same temp as for all of our beers 19, the difference is the yeast, we have a special lager yeast. It's the yeast that makes the difference between lagers and ales". At least Brew 4 U had rice malt for making GF beers. I have nothing against these places, any business that lifts the quality of homebrew is OK in my book, but I would like to see the proprietors spend a little more time on product knowledge, would help the whole scene IMO.

I wouldnt get satasfication from brewing it at a ubrewit.
We have a couple on the gold coast.

Half the fun is the setup and the customisation.

Called in at Brew 4 U a couple of days after they opened and spoke to Olly, nice lady and quite open to good beer talk, happy to explain the operation and open with ingredients and temps etc. Quite happy to explain their fermentation temps, lengths and filtering process. Would be my pick of these operations here on the coast.

Much more friendly than their opposition at Kawana, have called in there too, they came accross as "we know all about beer, we know what to do, so don't make any suggestions", AND "here only females are allowed to do the measuring and boiling they're more accurate than males". A guy came in while I was there, we got talking, he was originally from Munich and was interested in making wheat beer as he missed it. They told him how a wheat beer should taste, although he didn't really agree they did what they could to convince him he didn't know anything. After a sample of their wheat beer, his reply "well tastes like beer". Don't think they won him as a customer.

Screwy

they were trying to tell a wheat beer drinker from MUNICH what a wheat beer should taste like? that's f*cken funny :D

i loved this bit tho...
Is home brew better than the commercially-produced stuff? HAVE YOUR SAY.
i guess if they were after a million and one answers of "i've tried it and it's crap" and "you don't know how to brew lolz"

Olly speaking about home brew:
"“It requires a lot of work and if you do just a couple of little things wrong then you can either spoil your whole batch or have the explosions, it’s just not a reliable outcome every time.”"

Added to screwys comment about not knowing the correct temp for lager fermentation, seems like he really doesn't know much... I could imagine a place like this being run by a knowledgeable home brewer would be really cool, AG for that price would be good (not cheaper than doing it at home, but to use the equipment etc it would be a very fair price).

I take it that these are extract only beers? There's one at Deception Bay and I gather from their website that they are probably using extracts. Do they go in for specialty grains, additional hops etc? Don't intend to set foot in any of them but interested in what recipes they reckon can equal commercial grain brews.

... but I would like to see the proprietors spend a little more time on product knowledge, would help the whole scene IMO.

Here are a few choice lines from my local BOP when I dropped in to buy a co2 cylinder.

BOP "Would you like a beer?"
Me "Sure, do you have an APA?"
BOP "Whats that?"

Me "Do you use any grain?"
BOP "No... extract is the way of the future and grain beers take an addition 2 weeks to ferment."

:huh:

BOP "No... extract is the way of the future and grain beers take an addition 2 weeks to ferment."

Way of the future..... Damn it. For sale AG gear.

Hey Guys, In a way <_< you are sort of lucky, you have a choice!

I live outer south east Melbourne which is meant to be growth corridor of Victoria, and it is. Yet here, we have nothing re brew your own on the premise, we have nothing re "quality grains and hops" on supply. If i want "fresh" i travel to G&G which is a roundhouse trip of 120km + $12 day pass to use the freeway. Alternativly the LHBS will sell me "grey" hops @ $4.50 per 25grams :( . . But no grains, not even specialties.
Postage costs become too high, so why bother. Luckily a few of us get together and bulk etc. Thats what keeps me going.
I wish Melbourne had some of these places!

edit, besides barleycoernbrewers.

Haysie

Here are a few choice lines from my local BOP when I dropped in to buy a co2 cylinder.

BOP "Would you like a beer?"
Me "Sure, do you have an APA?"
BOP "Whats that?"

Me "Do you use any grain?"

Who are these people anyway?
Surely if you were going to setup a business where you make beer for people, you'd wanna know a thing or two about beer...

Hey Guys, In a way <_< you are sort of lucky, you have a choice!

I live outer south east Melbourne which is meant to be growth corridor of Victoria, and it is. Yet here, we have nothing re brew your own on the premise, we have nothing re "quality grains and hops" on supply. If i want "fresh" i travel to G&G which is a roundhouse trip of 120km + $12 day pass to use the freeway. Alternativly the LHBS will sell me "grey" hops @ $4.50 per 25grams :( . . But no grains, not even specialties.
Postage costs become too high, so why bother. Luckily a few of us get together and bulk etc. Thats what keeps me going.
I wish Melbourne had some of these places!

edit, besides barleycoernbrewers.

Haysie
Sounds like a business opportunity going begging.

Back