Local Lambic!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insight

Reaction score
Today I picked up a random sample of beers from the local Dan Murphys, including a lovely Wiehestephan Festbier. I also picked up two beers from a Victorian micro called Buckleys:
One is a pilsner - Buckley's nuPtIaLZ - quite cleverly named
The other a bock - Buckley's dark bock

I just drank the pils, and it had a serious lacto/brett character to it! It was delicious! I assume it wasn't intentional, and it could have just been that one bottle, but I'm going to head back down there tomorrow and grab a six pack.

I'll post a bit later about the bock.

From their website it appears as though the pils should be authentic rather than being a lambic.

www.buckleysbeer.com.au/site/index.php?n=Main.Beers

Pilz
Buckleys nuPtIaLZ was created by special appointment to Her Majesty Lucy on the occasion of her betrothal to Simon, Esq. A traditional pilsner style of golden colour, malty flavour, flowery hop aroma and lingering dry finish. (4.5% Alc/vol)

I've seen it at Dan Murphys Thornleigh in the past so I just might have to give it a try!

Interesting! The bock also has the same character, although its less noticeable with all the crystal and roasted malt in there. The bock is not as nice IMO, but I have high hopes now that it is a "house character" of the brewery.

Haha - just seeing the subject line made me think of Buckley's, and sure enough! :blink:

Their beers have been like that for years, but they weren't bad at all before they got their 'house character.'

i consumed a few of their beers when down mexico way last year. was NOT a fan of any of them.!! :eek:

I really want to try these beers again now! I have only ever tried them really fresh at at a beer tasting, and they were clean/bland, probably too young to have developed any sourness.

Slightly off topic but related to one of the comments on those ratebeer links, I had a handpumped IPA at the Sail and Anchor a while back which had an overwhelming aroma/subtle flavour of lactic acid bacteria (fruity nailpolish), nothing like the same beer I've had there on many occasions, but the bartender insisted that it was fine and I was wrong. I guess it's the homebrewer's curse of an over-developed palate.

I'm unlikely to try them after the ratebeer savaging but a pils should not have any brett/lambic notes at all.
Imagine a horse blanket VB or a soured XXXX. :blink: Maybe thats whats needed :blink:

That's interesting - I tried their 'Original Ale' at the Microbrewery Showcase last month - this is what I wrote in that thread:

I was also blown away by just how fruity the Buckley's Original Ale was (on draught). It tasted like either it contained lime cordial or it was fermented at 35C. The first girl serving couldn't tell me anything about it, the second (who I believe was one of the brewers, but new) told me 'hmm, you're right, that doesn't taste how it usually does' and the brewer himself apparently kept calling in to apologise for running late and never quite made it so I never really got an answer as to whether something was wrong with the keg or if that was its intended profile.

Looks like I wasn't hallucinating!

This is definitly not a new problem with Buckleys, I remember asking the brewer at Beertopia in 04' if he soured the bock... he just shruged and said no.
I have managed to get some decent bottles of all their beers, and I'll probably go against the grain here in saying that I really enjoy their brews.

I had the Buckley's nuPtIaLZ last night

gee it was odly fruity...
did not really taste like a pils at all.

does this sound like it tastes like it is supposed to, or is it possible i got a bad bottle.

Latest posts

Back