Lme V's Dme

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happy benno

Reaction score
dose liquid malt add any better taste to the brew rather than the dried malt (light,amber,wheat)
the reason i am asking is that DME is more cost efficient, and LME is hard to come by sometimes.

dose liquid malt add any better taste to the brew rather than the dried malt (light,amber,wheat)
the reason i am asking is that DME is more cost efficient, and LME is hard to come by sometimes.

My understanding is that LME is less fermentable than DME and as such requires more in your recipe, but gives you more mouth feel in return. I noticed a big difference using liquids, but would recommend giving it a shot and seeing for yourself.

happy benno,

Back in my extract days I generally used DME but did on a few occasions use LME. I never noticed a difference between the two.

I used DME most of the time as I found it far easier to handle.

Cheers

Scott

I use DME because it's easier to store, and just generally easier to deal with :p
Not sure of any difference in the end product tbh.

I can't tell any difference either. I use LDME because it's easier to use a specific weight of it, also keeps for longer, and it's a hell of alot cheaper. Liquid is about 20% water so you use a little more as well

Yeah, I've been wondering the same thing recently. I've started getting into the extract brews requiring 3kg of LME, but would rather be buying DME in bulk to save cash and ease of use.

Similarly, is there any difference between Coopers light DME and Munton's light spray malt (DME)?

Yeah, I've been wondering the same thing recently. I've started getting into the extract brews requiring 3kg of LME, but would rather be buying DME in bulk to save cash and ease of use.

Similarly, is there any difference between Coopers light DME and Munton's light spray malt (DME)?

British Grain as base versus Australian grain as base ...
Use Muntons DME for English styles - bit more "bready" profile
Coopers for others (Aussie, German American etc)

It's nit picking and to be honest I am not sure I could tell in a double blind tasting - especially if used in a partial

:icon_chickcheers:

When I was doing extract brews I'd use Dried - easier to use, store, measure + it's cheaper.
Most of my extract brews did come out with a bit of a sweet finish though. My understanding is that LME can give you a drier finish than DME.

Most of my extract brews did come out with a bit of a sweet finish though. My understanding is that LME can give you a drier finish than DME.

That was the problem with all my extract brews. I also didn't notice any difference between dry or liquid extract.

I used to sub some of the malt for dextrose to dry it out. This helped a lot but still found my beers a little sweet/cloying.

Scott

I generally always stuck to dried for my extract brews purely as it's cheaper and easier to measure out. As stated liquid malt is about 20% water so if the recipe calls for 1kg liquid malt, you really only need 0.8kg dried malt. Having a 20kg bag of dried malt was cheaper than get 15 or so cans of liquid.

Did those who found their brews sweeter using DME use 20% less due to the water content in LME? If not, then that would account for the extra sweetness I'd assume.
As it happens, I've alway had a bit of a sweet tooth so if DME naturally creates a sweeter beer (compared to LME), then all the better.

Did those who found their brews sweeter using DME use 20% less due to the water content in LME? If not, then that would account for the extra sweetness I'd assume.
As it happens, I've alway had a bit of a sweet tooth so if DME naturally creates a sweeter beer (compared to LME), then all the better.

I found using both forms of extract resulted in a beer that was too cloying / sweet for my tastes; even subbing some for dextrose.

It was one of the reasons I started AG.

Scott

I found using both forms of extract resulted in a beer that was too cloying / sweet for my tastes; even subbing some for dextrose.

It was one of the reasons I started AG.

Scott

Ditto... For those wondering though, the brew that I really noticed a difference between LME and DME with was two batches of Porter that used 1.7kg LME for one and then 1kg of DME for the other (my LHBS told me it was roughly equivalent).

Ditto... For those wondering though, the brew that I really noticed a difference between LME and DME with was two batches of Porter that used 1.7kg LME for one and then 1kg of DME for the other (my LHBS told me it was roughly equivalent).

Wow, 1.7kg LME roughly equivalent to 1.0kg of DME. What was the difference you noticed between them? I'm intrigued since that is a fair way from the 80% rule of thumb.

The 1.7kg LME seemed to add mouth feel and maltiness to the brew. I remember being quite surprised, because I anticipated a really sweet brew (but trusted the LHBS enough to give it a crack).

Oh yeah..I forgot about the dextrose thing. I've started using it recently because a lot of my brews ferment out at around 1.015, and are a little too "heavy" for the style (normally APAs). But very drinkable none the less :p

I've been doing the same for a while now, adding a couple or hundred grams of dex in place of the LDME in brews than need a lighter body. Dependant on yeast/ingredients I can get an all LDME brew lower than 1015 though

i always add 500g of sugar to my extract brews to help the FG come down. All LDME brews finish too high in my experience

at the moment i'm limited by my 10L boil pot so I usually mash about 2.0kg of grain to reduce the LDME bill

damn mototrials taking up all my weekends... got most of the parts for an AG system in the shed just sitting there waiting :(

edit: HERMS system that is

Wow, 1.7kg LME roughly equivalent to 1.0kg of DME. What was the difference you noticed between them? I'm intrigued since that is a fair way from the 80% rule of thumb.

1.2kg LME = 1.0kg DME.

+1 on the addition of some dextrose/sucrose in extract brews. 3kg of LDME in a 23L brew makes beer so thick you need a spoon. Nice though!

I like the taste and body of 2kg LDME and 1kg of dextrose in an extract ale with about 300g of steeped Carapils and 200g steeped Caraaroma. Some nice hops like Nelson or Galaxy or Amarillo and US05 yeast and you've got an ale that'll match anything available at the bottleo.

Back