LME substitute

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodbeer

Reaction score
Hello all

I have recently taken the step to partial mash brewing. A wit in the bottle(ready in a couple of weeks), and a hefe in fv.

Want to do an ipa next weekend. I used 1.5kg of wheat LME , 1.5kg of light LME and 1kg light DME

I have 2kg's of wheat LME. Was just after some ideas to substitute the remaining fermantables into grain? I have plenty of DME around, so can use that as well, but was thinking around 1.8 of grain.

Cheers

Can't go wrong with Marris Otter. Although I am loving Gladfield's American Ale at the moment, it is clean and absolutely fantastic.

paulyman said:
Can't go wrong with Marris Otter. Although I am loving Gladfield's American Ale at the moment, it is clean and absolutely fantastic.
Yeah I like Maris Otter too. Not sure where you are in Sydney Goodbeer, but if you are near Castle Hill, I would be happy to give you a couple of Kgs for you to try....I bought a bag recently and still have some. Can even crush it for you. No pressure, just if it is convenient.

See you. Anthony.

Thanks a lot for the offer Anthony but the only way I could be further from castle hill is if I was on the Central Coast.

I'll look into getting so Maris otter this week.

Cheers

If you're going to sub out extract for grain you should try to mash as much grain as your pot can handle. Depends on your setup but you could try pushing it over 2kg.

Thanks barge

I'm substituting for 1kg of lme...the mash method I've been using is 1.8kg, and still getting my head around that so might go stick to that for now...so much to learn

Latest posts

Back