Lme Brewing Process - A "cheat Sheet"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cKc

Reaction score
Full Disclosure - I'm new here, and new to brewing. In total I have a grand total of two K&K brews under my belt (Coopers Lager "out-of-the-box" and Coopers Draught "Irish Ale" recipe).

The Idea - As a new brewer I've been reading and absorbing the wealth of information available both online and from friends who brew (and brew quite well according to my tastebuds and the AG SNPA I sampled!). Part of this learning experience has been studying the first section of John Palmer's "How To Brew (HTB)" (on-line version). When I get some free time, I plan on trying my hand at his recommended brewing method (LME style).

Now you more experienced brewer's may laugh, but I found even the first chapter of HTB ("A Crash Course in Brewing") to be rather daunting in that I didn't want to be standing over a boiling pot flicking pages of the printed HTB text trying to figure out exactly what I should be doing, with what bits of kit, and when. So I decided to create a 1-page "cheat-sheet" which I could easily laminate and use to guide me through a modified, Palmer-based LME brew. I thought it turned out OK and could be useful to other budding brewers who are ready to move from the pure K&K "Coopers kit" method of brewing...

The Result - A one-page "cheat-sheet" for new brewers, from preparation to pitch.
LME_Brewing_Process.png

Moving Forward...
I intend to maintain this overview and refine it over time to match my style of brewing as it evolves. Futher down the track I guess I'll try steeping and maybe even one day become a "real" brewer and go AG. Although I am lazy....so if my LME beer tastes OK it might take me a while.....

Any feedback or ideas for improvement are welcomed - noting at this stage where I'm up to with brewing ("Full Disclosure" above)! I also know the actual inputs/outputs/process-steps detailed in the cheat sheet are a bit inconsistent - I'm OK with this as my goal was to make a cheat sheet useful to me, which may be useful to others :icon_cheers:

You created that flow chart but you thought Palmers online book was hard to read? :eek:

I have a one page cheat sheet for first time extract brewers that was sent to me by a commercial brewer.
If you want it, please PM me.

+ 1 for slightly complicated instructions.

As a newbie brewer myself, I like the idea....but I think that you might need to think about a redesign to make the information a bit easier to absorb.

Otherwise, good idea!

P.s. I wouldn't worry about the making of mini wort for yeast rehydration (especially if only for 30mins before pitching) - from what I understand that would be for a starter and would only be useful if it was made a few days before brewing. I just do the first step of the hydration process you have - 15mins before pitching and you are sweet, gives the yeast all the kick it will need to get started.

Matt

Geez, I thought Extract Brewing was easy...
Not a bad idea there though. I could use something like that for AG brewing, as I'm still getting my process right.

The flowchart probably could use dumbing down a bit (basically what Maestromatt said).

I see you're new, so welcome to the forum, and happy brewing.

Cheers
Pete

This seems WAY over complicated to me...

I prefer the beersmith brewsheets, much easier to follow

Amarillo.jpg

It's about time you made a post on here rather than just lurking! :p

As I've said before, it's a bit over the top, but if it helps you out then go for it. If you can manage to fit it on the page, I reckon you should add in a step for steeping specialty grains - for a couple of reasons:
  1. it makes it a more generic process; and, more importantly,
  2. you'll get better beer than with just extract!
Disclaimer: I'm the one who led cKc astray with a bottle of my first AG, an attempted SNPA clone. Clearly I'm not that good a brewer yet, since he's still thinking about extract and not AG! :D

Full Disclosure - I'm new here, and new to brewing. In total I have a grand total of two K&K brews under my belt (Coopers Lager "out-of-the-box" and Coopers Draught "Irish Ale" recipe).

The Idea - As a new brewer I've been reading and absorbing the wealth of information available both online and from friends who brew (and brew quite well according to my tastebuds and the AG SNPA I sampled!). Part of this learning experience has been studying the first section of John Palmer's "How To Brew (HTB)" (on-line version). When I get some free time, I plan on trying my hand at his recommended brewing method (LME style).

Now you more experienced brewer's may laugh, but I found even the first chapter of HTB ("A Crash Course in Brewing") to be rather daunting in that I didn't want to be standing over a boiling pot flicking pages of the printed HTB text trying to figure out exactly what I should be doing, with what bits of kit, and when. So I decided to create a 1-page "cheat-sheet" which I could easily laminate and use to guide me through a modified, Palmer-based LME brew. I thought it turned out OK and could be useful to other budding brewers who are ready to move from the pure K&K "Coopers kit" method of brewing...

The Result - A one-page "cheat-sheet" for new brewers, from preparation to pitch.
View attachment 23133

Moving Forward...
I intend to maintain this overview and refine it over time to match my style of brewing as it evolves. Futher down the track I guess I'll try steeping and maybe even one day become a "real" brewer and go AG. Although I am lazy....so if my LME beer tastes OK it might take me a while.....

Any feedback or ideas for improvement are welcomed - noting at this stage where I'm up to with brewing ("Full Disclosure" above)! I also know the actual inputs/outputs/process-steps detailed in the cheat sheet are a bit inconsistent - I'm OK with this as my goal was to make a cheat sheet useful to me, which may be useful to others :icon_cheers:

WOW! Its not that hard but if your enjoying yourself go for it after all thats what its all about. We will back you 100% to assist new brewers. Your enthusiasm shows. Good one. :icon_cheers:
Daz

Edit: I still dont know how to spell enthusiasm

:huh:
Well I just started my very first brew today, didn't have no cheat sheet, didn't know I was meant to.
Just went about a simple ( us up here in the hills prefer to keep things simple ya know.) process of washing, boiling, steralizing, roughly in that order all utensils etc. then mixed up the extract and dextrose, give it a gentle boil for abt fifteen minutes, added it to the ten litres of boiled and cooled water already in the fermenter and then topped it to 23lt gently mixed in the yeast put the lid on and put the airlock in, stuck it in the corner of the spare room, and by then was feeling thirsty.
Would have started last week, but needed to empty a couple of boxes of longnecks first so I had something to put the end result in.
It is meant to be that simple....?
Isn't it?

For whats known as a K+K (Kit and kilo) you have done exactly what was required...Although the boil wasn't really needed.

As you move on and what to expand your brewing you will discover the complexity of other steps, which, once you have moved on from you will look back at and wonder why you ever thought it was difficult...

PS, if that sentence seemed long and nonsensical it may be because I am "sampling" a few brews I bottled a few weeks back.....

not a bad effort mate. but theres a few plaws/errors in the flow chart.
1. you dont have to rehydrate yeast (and you should probab;ly have something in there about dry or liquid yeast)
2. not sure why your using unboiled water on your yeast then making a wort (which should be made with malt not sugar but its ok), then adding the yeast to the wort. its doubling up. one is about making a starter and one is about rehydrating.
3. you wont get hot break from a tin of goo.
4. theres no reason not to start your 60min hop boil at the same time your waiting for hot brewak (if your using malt extract).
5. Hop timings seems a little random in the times. I'd also classify 30min as bittering.
6. theres no mention about pitching temp is completely dependant on type of yeast used. It doesnt incl any lager pitching.

but B+ for effort.

you'd be better off reading some of the other 'beginners guides' that other brewers have posted. Thirsty Boy has done some also.

If your goinhg to do a flow chart then you may as well go the whole hog and do something like this, with all your possible outcomes and processes
http://www.prince2foundation.com/

Hey, thanks for the advice and feedback from all. :)

I have made some minor updates to the process, but thus far no wholesale updates. I'll explain why below....

INTENT - Remember, my original aim was to make a cheat-sheet, based on Palmer's (online) How To Brew (http://www.howtobrew.com/sitemap.html), which showed not only the major steps but the ingredients and equipment required at each stage, as well as the "output" for each step. Other cheat-sheets and checklists don't (always). The major constraint was that it was to fit on 1 A4 page - I guess it was never going to be easier to read than the book - it's just more compact for "on-the-job" reference.

COMPLEXITY - OK, I understand a graphical representation isn't for everybody and that's OK! :p Personally, I like pictures/colour and each individual's learning style is different. However, other than the advice given regarding yeast rehydration (i.e. why not stop after "Mix" - and see below for comments) I haven't actually received much back on which steps make the process complex? Either a step is required, or it's not... if the Palmer LME brew process is regarded as complex, so be it (see INTENT above).

STEEPING - Hey, not yet! I haven't even mastered the boil...expect an update sometime down the track.

CITYMORGUE2 - Your review was the most thorough - appreciate it. However, please note I'm aiming for at least an A-.....can I request a remark? :D Remeber, this is a (mostly) faithful representation of the Palmer method of brewing! On your comments:

- 1. Yeast Rehydration - According to Palmer, it's a good idea.
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-5.html

- 2. Unboiled water for Yeast Rehydration - Agree, Mr Palmer (sir?) indeed prescribes boiled water cooled to 35-40. Updated!
As for (1).

- 3. Hot Break - Disagree, unhopped LME will achieve hot break...well at least according to Palmer!
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter7-2.html

- 4. Boil Timing - Palmer advice.
As for (3).

- 5. Hop Timings/Terminology - You guessed it - Palmer advice.
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter7-3.html

- 6. Pithcing Temperature - Agree! Updated ingredients to indicate Ale yeast only.

- Prince2 - Then I'd never fit on a (readable) A4 page! And if I was going to go the "whole hog" (not the intention) I'd be going Enhanced Functional Flow Block Diagrams (Example EFFBD) or Object Process Methodology (wikipedia - OPM) :blink:

OK - so I'm a sucker for the Palmer advice. But that is what I was trying to do - start out with a reliable, well respected process for LME brewing, master that and move on from there....

Cheers,
cKc

LME_Brewing_Process.png

re point 3 - i meant tins of goo as in coopers cans of wort ie coopers lager, pale ale etc rather than generic Liquid malt etc. agreed you;ll get hot break from liquid malt but not the lager tins etc as the've already been through the process. but i assume wever got our wires rosswed with thte terminiloogy of unhopped amalt extract. all cool.

ah ok the generic hop timings and descriptions. cool cool. i dio vaugley remember that now.

Hey, thanks for the advice and feedback from all. :)

I have made some minor updates to the process, but thus far no wholesale updates. I'll explain why below....

INTENT - Remember, my original aim was to make a cheat-sheet, based on Palmer's (online) How To Brew (http://www.howtobrew.com/sitemap.html), which showed not only the major steps but the ingredients and equipment required at each stage, as well as the "output" for each step. Other cheat-sheets and checklists don't (always). The major constraint was that it was to fit on 1 A4 page - I guess it was never going to be easier to read than the book - it's just more compact for "on-the-job" reference.

COMPLEXITY - OK, I understand a graphical representation isn't for everybody and that's OK! :p Personally, I like pictures/colour and each individual's learning style is different. However, other than the advice given regarding yeast rehydration (i.e. why not stop after "Mix" - and see below for comments) I haven't actually received much back on which steps make the process complex? Either a step is required, or it's not... if the Palmer LME brew process is regarded as complex, so be it (see INTENT above).

STEEPING - Hey, not yet! I haven't even mastered the boil...expect an update sometime down the track.

CITYMORGUE2 - Your review was the most thorough - appreciate it. However, please note I'm aiming for at least an A-.....can I request a remark? :D Remeber, this is a (mostly) faithful representation of the Palmer method of brewing! On your comments:

- 1. Yeast Rehydration - According to Palmer, it's a good idea.
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-5.html

- 2. Unboiled water for Yeast Rehydration - Agree, Mr Palmer (sir?) indeed prescribes boiled water cooled to 35-40. Updated!
As for (1).

- 3. Hot Break - Disagree, unhopped LME will achieve hot break...well at least according to Palmer!
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter7-2.html

- 4. Boil Timing - Palmer advice.
As for (3).

- 5. Hop Timings/Terminology - You guessed it - Palmer advice.
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter7-3.html

- 6. Pithcing Temperature - Agree! Updated ingredients to indicate Ale yeast only.

- Prince2 - Then I'd never fit on a (readable) A4 page! And if I was going to go the "whole hog" (not the intention) I'd be going Enhanced Functional Flow Block Diagrams (Example EFFBD) or Object Process Methodology (wikipedia - OPM) :blink:

OK - so I'm a sucker for the Palmer advice. But that is what I was trying to do - start out with a reliable, well respected process for LME brewing, master that and move on from there....

Cheers,
cKc

View attachment 23339

But why are you bothering with all this?
You must have a lot of spare time on your hands, but I have the feeling anyone new to brewing might get part of the way thru it all and wonder why it`s so complicated, and go back to the half arsed instructions on the can.
Stil, it`s your time annd effort, so carry on.
Cheers

stagga.

Where you have 30 minutes for finishing hops, I would use 15. Where you have 15 for more finishing hops, (I'm assuming you're after aroma with this addition), I would use 5> min.

I agree with Wardhog...

Maybe show the time ranges for bittering hops (60 mins), flavouring hops (20 - 10 mins) and aroma hops (10 - 0 mins). I'm not sure what the correct ranges are but somebody more knowledgable will know.

I disagree with Stagalee...

I think this is a great road map for the beginner and will be handy when used in hand with Palmers book. I will certainly be printing off the finished product and wish it had beed around when I first started out. As you say everyone's learning style is different and this would certainly suit mine. I don't see it as overcomplicated.

How can any attempt at improving your brewing process be a waste of time? ;)

Sweet effort on the sheet, I don't mind that at all. Yes, kinda complicated for a first-time brewer...but thats how things go! I use very lax techniques for my brews as for the previous two years I was at uni [read: anti-brewing environment] and needed to get things done quickly and effectively so I could a) not get 'caught in the act', and b] drink with buddies on a Thursday night.

My shorcuts involve cleaning with hot water only and generally not sanitising as I put down another brew immediately after bottling the current one. I find hot water does its job well then, otherwise its some sort of sanitiser and rinse scenario. Bottles get the rinse-after-drinking treatment and are then stored in their boxes waiting for a double-rinse of hot water before bottling. No sanitisers. Oh, and no airlock because my wardrobe was at the foot of my bed...plus the bubbling may have tipped off the cleaners B)

Not wanting to get you into 'bad habits' but it sounds like you need to chill a bit. Of course, if you want to go through with the process then I'm not stressed at all - its your own personal adventure into the world of brewing!

Cheers - boingk

PS: Good work on shifting to extract brewing on your third brew! I've only ever done two extracts and I'm on my 37th...

EDIT: 500th post...Woo-Hoo!

re point 3 - i meant tins of goo as in coopers cans of wort ie coopers lager, pale ale etc rather than generic Liquid malt etc. agreed you;ll get hot break from liquid malt but not the lager tins etc as the've already been through the process. but i assume wever got our wires rosswed with thte terminiloogy of unhopped amalt extract. all cool.

ah ok the generic hop timings and descriptions. cool cool. i dio vaugley remember that now.

I'm sure I came across a post yesterday that included a quote from the coopers website stating the hot break is removed from not only the kits, but also the liquid (and dry) malts.... but as usual I can't find the post!?! So, assuming I'm not making this up I don't believe there's any need to remove hot break. Found it! See post #7 here Link

oh and cKc, top job on flow chart - perfect for when you're learning a new process (or even as a refresher when you *think* you've got it down pat)

Latest posts

Back