Little Creatures Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben6942

Reaction score
Hi, I am about to put on a LCPA clone and was just after some feedback to see if I should make any changes.

Coopers APA Can
Coopers Wheat Malt Can
500g LDME
500g Dextrose (does anyone know how to put dextrose into Ian's Spreadsheet?)
2x Coopers APA yeast (too warm at my house to use US-05)
Chinook (13.3AA) 15g @ 15 Minutes
Cascade (5.5AA) 20g @ 10 Minutes
Chinook 10g @ 10 Minutes
Cascade 15g @ 5 Minutes
Cascade 15g @ 0 Minutes

Any feedback would be appreciated, Thanks...

My preference would be to combine some of the hop additions & add later

Eg

Chinook 25grams @ 10 mins
Cascade 20 grams @ 10 mins
Cascade 30 grams at 0 mins
Chinook 20 grams at 0 mins

Should give you lots of flavour & aroma.

I think you will find dextrose under the "adjuncts" tab in the spreadsheet.

Looks like a good recipe. You could always use the US05 & make a swamp cooler with your esky.
Temp control + decent quality yeast are 2 huge steps in improving beer taste

The Coopers APA yeast is actually a blend of ale and lager yeast... you might be better off with US-05 and making a cooling system somehow, such as stewy's suggestion. Just a hunch but perhaps the lager portion of the APA yeast will throw some unwanted flavours/aromas at a higher temperature.

Thanks guys, I will be ordering a Keg King MKII Temperature Controller in the new year but will have to try and get by until then.

The Chinook and Cascade combo are going to give you an original LCPA flavour (which I preferred), so don't expect it to taste like LCPA today. Man, when that beer first came out it changed my life. There are now a variety of Aus and US hops which are rotated through.

Personally, I'd drop the extra 500 LDME. Agree with Stewy- esky full of water, or your laundry tub, fermenter in and drape a wet towel over the top, rotate ice bricks through the water to keep US05 as close to 20' as you can and you'll have a nice beer.

I agree with JYO, drop the 500g LDME ( assuming 23L). It's going to be north of 6% ( original is 5.2% according to their website). Also by doing the hops schedule Stewy recommends the bitterness comes more inline with the orginal too ( 38 IBU).
Temperature control is very important so don't delay in buying that controller, but for now keep it as cool as you can (18-20) and as constant as you can.

sorry for the thread digging here, but is there any dry hopping with this recipe? im keen to try it out.

Haven't brewed it but not the type of beer that needs a dry hop, those late hop additions would provide more than enough hop aroma for an lcpa

Sorry that's not to say that dry hopping would be a bad idea, it'd just make a different beer, probably a good one, give it a go :)

ajg said:
sorry for the thread digging here, but is there any dry hopping with this recipe? im keen to try it out.
I think the original was dry hopped with both cascade and chinook. I made a few batches of it a while ago (dry hopped with C+C) and it was bloody close to the original. Just don't over do it.

JD

Hello, i have tried a couole of things but my brew was as follows
1.7kg coopers pale
1.5 amber liquid extract
350g wheat dry extract
250g Steeped crystal
250g dextrose
20g Cluster 30min
30g chinook 30min
15g cascade 30min
20g each of cascade and chinook at flame out.
Us05 yeast.
Its a nice drop but one id like to get better. Won't be disappointed.
As mentioned in earlier posts,try to get a nice cool spot for it. Keeping that temp stable and at normal levels is the best thing.
Even a wet towel or tshirt over it will help too.

Hi guys, coincidentally it happens to be my second brew as well and I also intend to do a LCPA. However, I was thinking about to use unhopped LME instead. Intended recipe for 19L as follows:

1.7 Amber LME (black rock)
1.7 light LME (black rock)
15g Chinnok @60min
15g Cascade @30min
15g Cascade @15mim
1pkg US-05 yeast.

I have the option to swap the 1.7kg cans of LME for 1.5kg from CBW, but then I would need to add 333gr of DME. Due to extra money/work and storage, I might leave it as it is, unless I'm advised the opposite.

Any suggestions regarding the hops X time? I came up with plan in order to achieve the desired 38 IBUs, but suggestions are more than welcomed.many Thanks

Probably wouldn't hurt to throw in some Chinook late as well.

I inadvertently brewed a pale ale a couple of years back that ended up tasting quite similar to LCPA, it was just an experimental thing really trying out Chinook hops late with some Cascade in there as well. Didn't realise these were the hops in LCPA at the time. :lol: Anyway, point being, I have unfortunately lost the recipe but I do remember it had late additions of both Cascade and Chinook and was possibly dry hopped with Chinook as well.

Back