Little Creatures Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nah never ended up trying one due to the cost. Its not bad value if you only want the beer but expensive if the keg had trouble returning to the brewery :D

Funny you should raise this as I am getting two of these kegs for our office Xmas party - one of the pale ale and one of the pils. They are $75 each ($65 for Rogers) plus $125 deposit for the keg. Works out about $3.40 a pint so the beer is cheap enough, but yeah, the keg is a little expensive for a take away.

Can't wait.

Am I the only one who doesnt agree that the PA from Little Creatures tastes anything like the SNPA?

I drank SNPA for three years when I was int he states, it was my favorite beer...wehn LCPA came out I heard that they based their recipe off the SNPA - allegedly they even have a special import license for the hops they use, sourcing them directly from the states and having soem kind of customs agreement to destroy the remainder afterwards....

however, I digress - so I had the LCPA when it came out, and I got back from the states - and a lovely drop it is as well, but it tasted a lot more harsh than the SNPA did, it jsut wasnt as well rounded and it was a little "too" grassy - the other week the guys at the International Beer Shop got a varton of SNPA (yes, amazing! I was chuffed!) so I bought two stubbies (at $8 a stubbie - ouch) and me and my mate had a tasting session with the two beers side by side....

About the only thing they had similar to them, was that they are both PAle Ales - otherwise, they were as different as couldn be - and the SNPA was extremly rounded (maybe due to it being a bit older than the LCPA - I do tend to think that the LCPA is a bit on the young side when you drink it fresh here - personal preference though)...and the SNPA won hands down of course, but the LCPA is still a very worthy drop.

Fletch.

facter said:
Am I the only one who doesnt agree that the PA from Little Creatures tastes anything like the SNPA?

I drank SNPA for three years when I was int he states, it was my favorite beer...wehn LCPA came out I heard that they based their recipe off the SNPA - allegedly they even have a special import license for the hops they use, sourcing them directly from the states and having soem kind of customs agreement to destroy the remainder afterwards....

however, I digress - so I had the LCPA when it came out, and I got back from the states - and a lovely drop it is as well, but it tasted a lot more harsh than the SNPA did, it jsut wasnt as well rounded and it was a little "too" grassy - the other week the guys at the International Beer Shop got a varton of SNPA (yes, amazing! I was chuffed!) so I bought two stubbies (at $8 a stubbie - ouch) and me and my mate had a tasting session with the two beers side by side....

About the only thing they had similar to them, was that they are both PAle Ales - otherwise, they were as different as couldn be - and the SNPA was extremly rounded (maybe due to it being a bit older than the LCPA - I do tend to think that the LCPA is a bit on the young side when you drink it fresh here - personal preference though)...and the SNPA won hands down of course, but the LCPA is still a very worthy drop.

Fletch.
[post="95247"][/post]​

I think a few people have raised those same thoughts on AHB Fletch. Look forward to trying SNPA when I can finally get my hands on a bottle here in Sydney.

sinkas said:
So DeeBee, or anyone else, have you tried these 12.5litre kegs?
[post="93248"][/post]​
I'm not sure if you're referring to the beer itself or its use for home brew, but the LC I had from one of those keggies a few years back was the best I've ever had, and I've had a lot of LC.

And I don't think LC and SNPA taste at all alike, either. I figure it's probably due to LC's use of a hopback and SN's adding hops only to the boil (as I understand it.)

Deebee,

Option number 2 is to the sod the 12.5L mini keg, and get a full sized keg....they sell 50L kegs of LCPA for 190 bucks down there (last time i was there). Now thats good buying, works out to be ~$30 a carton (based on 330ml bottles).

Ive got all the stuff (chiller box, coupling etc) to dispence them if you need to borrow the gear. Best thing is, any leftovers you can be transfered to homebrew kegs, or counter pressure filled into bottles for later consumption :beerbang: !

Al

LC have released a new 5lt keg Gents, I've bout one for the Easter break down south. It came in to the shop Wednesday so I'm hopeful its seriously bloody fresh and maybe even better than the bottles.

LCkeg.JPG

LC have released a new 5lt keg Gents, I've bout one for the Easter break down south. It came in to the shop Wednesday so I'm hopeful its seriously bloody fresh and maybe even better than the bottles.

thats one of the the best things i have seen today i hope the come to queensland :beer:

That looks good. Are they in NSW?

I'd grab one of them.

Fear_n_loath

Is it an IPS keg? Ie with integrated c02
Cylinder

I picked up one of these up on Thursday. I think the beer tastes quite a lot better than from the bottle, you actually get a nice head and the hop aroma is crisp and fresh.

A little frustrating how it costs more per L than a carton (30% more), despite a lot less packaging. You can get a carton for as low as $55 here in Perth. PAying for the novelty factor of the keg.

Thats $55 for 7.92L, $6.94/L
If the carton is $60, thats $7.57/L

If the 5L keg is $49, thats $9.8/L
IF the 5L keg is $45, thats $9.

Carton wins easily. Only time I'll pay more is for 1 or 2 pintzillas.

Then you to put the bottle top's and empty carton into the bin,and it's you choice what you do with glass container's after you empty them them,all this cost's money to dispose of..

Latest posts

Back