Little Creatures Bright Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg_549

Reaction score
Hey all.

Tried one of these last night. Love it, thought it was miles better then the LC Pale Ale. It was strangely sweet which i thought would have made it rubbish but apparently not.

Just wondering how i would brew a similar beer. I have the stock standard coopers brew kit and have access to all coopers brew gear and black rock and whatever yeasts/kits they have at Brewcraft. I may need you to clarify some stuff to me as this will be my third brew. :D thanks.

Also i don't have massive control over brew temps, i will keep it in a dark room at around 16 degrees.

Cheers, Richo.

Hey Richo,

It is one hell of a beer I agree!

Sorry no recipe advice as I am a newby to his caper as well but I do look forward to seeing what is recommended!

I will be giving it a go if any one has any ideas.

Cheers
Cocko.

Hey Richo,

It is one hell of a beer I agree!

Sorry no recipe advice as I am a newby to his caper as well but I do look forward to seeing what is recommended!

I will be giving it a go if any one has any ideas.

Cheers
Cocko.

Yeah i work at a Bottle shop and i reckon its the best beer we have, and i've had all the premium's we stock. (not that we have ridiculous amounts of them)

You'll need to use lots of extra hops to get near the hop flavour of this beer, I've come fairly close with a combination of B Saaz and Cascade. From a can? Probably a Cooper's Lager with 1.5kg of light liquid malt, no dextrose. And hops. Lots of flavour and aroma hops.

Tony has a popular recipe in the DB here that is pretty popular. I'm going to give it a burl this weekend. For K&K I reckon you should try a neutral pale ale can with a kilo of pale DME and boil some of the hops (cascade & B saaz) in a big saucepan with some of the DME for ten minutes(15g each), more for five minutes (20g of each) then more when you turn it off(15g of each?). Let it steep for about 15 before staining the hops out and tipping it in the fermenter as usual. Possibly dry hop with ten grams of each after the ferment settles down

Won't be exactly the same but should taste pretty good all thge same

Dave

Tony has a popular recipe in the DB here that is pretty popular. I'm going to give it a burl this weekend. For K&K I reckon you should try a neutral pale ale can with a kilo of pale DME and boil some of the hops (cascade & B saaz) in a big saucepan with some of the DME for ten minutes(15g each), more for five minutes (20g of each) then more when you turn it off(15g of each?). Let it steep for about 15 before staining the hops out and tipping it in the fermenter as usual. Possibly dry hop with ten grams of each after the ferment settles down

Won't be exactly the same but should taste pretty good all thge same

Dave

That sounded fancy.. I think this may take me a few trips to the brew shop to decipher what you said and what i can get.. I'll probably send ya an email when i get to trying to find the gear. thank you.

That sounded fancy.. I think this may take me a few trips to the brew shop to decipher what you said and what i can get.. I'll probably send ya an email when i get to trying to find the gear. thank you.

It's not as hard as it sounds. Assuming you have a decent sized saucepan (bigger than three litres) and a stove and a strainer you should be right. All you need is:

1 pale ale/lager kit (not really sure which is best, maybe coopers pale ale or a generic lager kit)
1 kg of dry malt extract (DME) (get this from any HBS or supermarket just about)
some cascade and B saaz hops (try ross at craftbrewer, fresh hops, fast delivery or wayne at beerbelly here for a local)

add DME to water in saucepan (about 150-200g per litre, make sure you leave some headspace!)
bring it to the boil
add about 10g of each hop
five minutes later add about 15g of each hop
five minutes later add another 15-20g of each hop, depending on how you feel ;) and turn the heat off

leave it to sit for about 15 minutes with the lid on then strain the wort through a fine strainer into the fermenter
add the rest of the DME and the kit as usual.

I'd recommend getting some US-56 dry yeast or otherwise just ferment as usual with the kit yeast (no higher than 20 degrees C)

That should see you right

If you feel you want a bit more hop flavour, sterilise an old piece of stocking (or a black and gold one from the supermarket) and add 5-10 grams of each hop into there and toss it in the fermenter after the fermet has settled down. Leave it a few more days to a week before bottling/kegging

It's not as hard as it sounds. Assuming you have a decent sized saucepan (bigger than three litres) and a stove and a strainer you should be right. All you need is:

1 pale ale/lager kit (not really sure which is best, maybe coopers pale ale or a generic lager kit)
1 kg of dry malt extract (DME) (get this from any HBS or supermarket just about)
some cascade and B saaz hops (try ross at craftbrewer, fresh hops, fast delivery or wayne at beerbelly here for a local)

add DME to water in saucepan (about 150-200g per litre, make sure you leave some headspace!)
bring it to the boil
add about 10g of each hop
five minutes later add about 15g of each hop
five minutes later add another 15-20g of each hop, depending on how you feel ;) and turn the heat off

leave it to sit for about 15 minutes with the lid on then strain the wort through a fine strainer into the fermenter
add the rest of the DME and the kit as usual.

I'd recommend getting some US-56 dry yeast or otherwise just ferment as usual with the kit yeast (no higher than 20 degrees C)

That should see you right

If you feel you want a bit more hop flavour, sterilise an old piece of stocking (or a black and gold one from the supermarket) and add 5-10 grams of each hop into there and toss it in the fermenter after the fermet has settled down. Leave it a few more days to a week before bottling/kegging

Thanks for the recipe, i followed it and cracked the first one with extreme excitement- it turned out pretty rubbish, still trying to get rid of them! Drinkable yeah but not too good. Was fun making though!

Latest posts

Back